New
Find
Notify
Tools

22 K Hornet O.A.L. ???
 Login/Join

one of us
posted
I'm trying to seat Nosler 40 gr BT's in my Krico 22 Hornet bolt action reamed to "K" Hornet, However the magazine (clip) is restricting the seating depth to no more than 1.830 This places the bullet very deep into the case. So much so that the bullet diameter is .208 at the case mouth. Is this a safe condition? I have 12.5 gr of LiL GUN behind it so no powder compression is present.

Posts: 147 | Location: SW Wash | Registered: 01 January 2004Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of MickinColo
posted Hide Post
I don’t own a K Hornet (just a Hornet). My information shows a case length of 1.380” (35-degree shoulders) and an overall cartridge length of 1.693” for that bullet. This information is from Quickloads which is newer info than in the picture below.

Which one do you have because it will make a difference in the seating depth, neck length relationship to keep it short enough to work in your magazine.

You may need to trim your brass a little more but I wouldn’t know without more information.

Posts: 2650 | Location: Lakewood, CO | Registered: 15 February 2003Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
not common but sometimes you may have to work the mag over a bit on the k conversion. 12.5 is a very mild load

Posts: 13446 | Location: faribault mn | Registered: 16 November 2004Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
The issue is not K-Hornet vs. regular Hornet -- you would have the same problem with either. The issue is one of magazine length (which is the same for both). Most Hornet magazines are too short to utilize the relatively long (for weight) and relatively pointy 40 grain Ballistic Tip seated to magazine length.

If you want to use a polymer-tipped bulet in your Hornet (K- or otherwise), you'll need to use the Hornady 35 grain bullet which is designed specifically to meet the over all length restrictions of most Hornet magazines by having a rather stubby nose.

If you can live with using your gun as a single-shot, I've found the 40 grain B.T. to shoot very well seated out a bit longer than magazine length.

As to your question about seating bullets so deeply that they are less than the diameter of the exposed case mouth, well, it is not "unsafe" in any sense of creating a hazard for the shooter. The problem is that the mouth of the case can hang on the feed ramp or edge of the chamber, creating either a jam or a damaged case mouth. Nasty trash like pocket fuzz or other ambient crud can get into the little crevice between the bullet and the case neck, also. In short, it is not "unsafe", but is less than ideal. Also, the reduced grip on the bullet makes it more likely that the bullet can get pushed deeper in the case, enough so that it may fall into the case (powder space allowing), thus allowing powder to leak out around it.

Posts: 13242 | Location: Henly, TX, USA | Registered: 04 April 2001Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of MickinColo
posted Hide Post
Thanks Stonecreek,

I can see now that the Nosler bullet (.699” long) is long when compared to a 40 grain V-max (.689”) or Blitzking (.670”). I use the Blitzkings in my 77/22 Hornet and they work fine. I would possible have a little trouble with a V-max (I feel they would work though) but with a BT I would possible have the same problem as Hutt is having.

Posts: 2650 | Location: Lakewood, CO | Registered: 15 February 2003Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Thanks for the replies.Pulled all the Nosler BT's and seated some Speer 40gr spire sp bullets. (a more magazine friendly design)In fact these Speers were well into the rifle lands when seated to maximum magazine length in my Krico Hornet. The 35gr Hornady's as Stonecreek suggested will undoubtedly cycle very well in the Krico platform. I have heard that this action was designed around the 22 Hornet cartridge so I hope that this (made for caliber rifle) preforms like some say they should, thanks again!........Hutt

Posts: 147 | Location: SW Wash | Registered: 01 January 2004Reply With Quote