Find
Notify
Tools

Pulling factory bullets?
 Login/Join

One of Us
Picture of Bruce in WV
posted
I got a very good deal, so I have several boxes of S&B 8x57 JS 196gr FMJ ball that I need to pull so I can reload the brass with SP hunting bullets. Shooting it up is one way to "unload" these cases, but then I have once-fired instead of virgin brass.
What is the easiest way to pull these bullets? My inertia puller is very hard going - I suspect the cartridges are weatherproofed with lacquer or something like that.
Maybe the best way to go is trade them off to somebody with cases who wants ball ammo. Win-win for both parties as they say.

Posts: 87 | Location: West Virginia, USA | Registered: 03 November 2008Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Bruce in WV
posted Hide Post
Found this thread on RCBS bullet puller with collets - looks easy enough -
http://forums.accuratereloadin...2511043/m/4821084012

I'll probably try trading first - even easier!

Posts: 87 | Location: West Virginia, USA | Registered: 03 November 2008Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
I have a Hornady Hornady Cam-Lock Bullet Puller.

I like it much better than those inertia pullers.

For an 8mm, you'd need a #8 Collet.

Posts: 939 | Location: Grants Pass, OR | Registered: 24 September 2012Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of ted thorn
posted Hide Post
I seat them .050 or .060 deeper to break the grip the copper bullet has with the brass case "electrolysis" or release or iron out any crimp......you will hear it pop

Then remove the seater die and extend the bullet up through the 7/8ths hole in your press

Grab it at the top of the case mouth with very sharp side cutters and grip lightly

Retract the case downward and the side cutters will pull the bullet out easily with only 2 very small marks

Ive pulled hundreds this way

Posts: 7361 | Location: South East Missouri | Registered: 23 November 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of dpcd
posted Hide Post
Whack your inertia puller on something really solid; I use the top of my RockChucker. If you are hitting it on a wood bench, that cushions the blow. They will come out.
Or use pliers and the press like Ted said; that works too.
The collet pullers work too but you have to buy one first.

Posts: 17269 | Location: USA | Registered: 02 August 2009Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by ted thorn:
I seat them .050 or .060 deeper to break the grip the copper bullet has with the brass case "electrolysis" or release or iron out any crimp......you will hear it pop . . .

Heh . . . pure gold! Never thought of that.

Thanks, Ted.

Posts: 939 | Location: Grants Pass, OR | Registered: 24 September 2012Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of dpcd
posted Hide Post
That is an old, military match shooter's trick. To make sure the bullets hadn't soldered themselves to the case (some old match bullets were tin coated), and to gain a uniform bullet pull.
Anyway, Bruce, just shoot the damn things and start over.

Posts: 17269 | Location: USA | Registered: 02 August 2009Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Bruce in WV
posted Hide Post
I just pulled 100 bullets in under an hour using the "setback and edge cutter" process. I'll finish the rest when the day cools off. Very easy!
Thanks for the advice and youtube video.

I'll start another thread on the reloading data search for a lower recoil 125gr - 150gr load for whitetails that won't aggravate my retina tear.

one of us
Picture of Nitro Express
posted Hide Post
If you don't care about the pulled bullets, a pair of vice-grips will do the trick. Just run a loaded case up in your press (with no die, obviously), clamp the grip on the bullet, and lower the arm. Easy and cheap.

The pulled bullet takes a little bit of a beating, though.

LTC, USA, RET
Benefactor Life Member, NRA
Member, SCI & DSC
Proud son of Texas A&M, Class of 1969

"A man's reach should exceed his grasp, or what's a heaven for?" Robert Browning

Posts: 1553 | Location: Native Texan Now In Jacksonville, Florida, USA | Registered: 10 July 2000Reply With Quote