Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Re: Case Trimmers
 Login/Join

posted
For small quanities of brass to trim, RCBS or Wilson are just fine, but for any volnme the trimmer would be Giraud.

Ted

Posts: 16 | Location: Milton, WI | Registered: 13 October 2004Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of vapodog
posted Hide Post
Case trimmer is spelled....W I L S O N

Posts: 28849 | Location: western Nebraska | Registered: 27 May 2003Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
I have a Redding and I think that it sucks. Get yourself a Wilson and never look back. I still have the Redding but it hasn't been on my bench in the 2 years I've owned the Wilson.

Just my opinion and probably not worth what it cost you

Rick

Posts: 178 | Location: North Alabama | Registered: 15 June 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Here is the Gracey. I have one in .223 and one in .308. It's a Cadillac.

Here is a Giraud. It is a Mercedes.

Here is a Wilson. Real (patient) men use this trimmer.

Here is the Forster. It is great to use, NOT!

Posts: 7158 | Location: Snake River | Registered: 02 February 2004Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of Afrikaander
posted Hide Post
Wilson
Compared with any other trimmer, wilson�s gives the most consistent measurement

Second choice is forster trimmer
You can find them both at sinclair�s (www.sinclairintl.com)

Posts: 1325 | Registered: 08 February 2003Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
I have the Lee and Forester trimmers and I like the Lee setup much better. Easier on the user and produces more consistent cases. Only thing with the Lee that bugs me is that it would seem to be more user friendly by chucking the cutter and pilot in the drill instead of the shellholder. I haven't tried to chuck the cutter yet but it might fit in a 1/2" drill??

one of us
posted Hide Post
One more for the Wilson.

I bought the screwdriver attachment but have never used it because the hand crank is so fast and smooth.

Simdow

Posts: 189 | Location: Asheville NC | Registered: 24 February 2003Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of milanuk
posted Hide Post
For my high-volume .223 loading for NRA HighPower Service Rifle competition, I picked up a Sinclair International / Possum Hollow Kwik Trim, and it's mounted in my drill press in the shop. Works for now, but I have to chamfer and debur in separate steps. If tax-time is good to me, I intend to get a Giraud. Had a Gracey, now I know why Doug Giraud decided to build a new one instead of keep on fixing the problems w/ the Gracey.

For most other stuff, I have a Wilson w/ the full-meal-deal Sinclair stand, clamp, including Starrett micrometer. Plenty fast for a few hundred cases, once you get a rhythm going.

Monte

Posts: 341 | Location: Wenatchee, WA | Registered: 27 February 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
I use a Wilson case trimmer with the micrometer adjustment on it. It is somewhat slower than some other trimmers, but it cuts very precisely and accurately and I like it very much. Works good for my 6 PPC cases I shoot paper with.
Depending on what you are loooking for, there are probably several trimmers that will do the job. I would think it would make a difference if you were trimming a larger number of cases for general hunting versus a relatively number of say benchrest cases.

Lonnie

Posts: 37 | Location: Minnesota | Registered: 29 October 2003Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Ditto the Lee and a drill combo!!!!!!! I used to loathe trimming brass, not since I got one of these!! Now, I look forward to doing some TSX penetration testing on my RCBS trimmer!

HUNTR338

Posts: 88 | Location: New Mexico | Registered: 10 September 2003Reply With Quote
Picture of marquezlc
posted Hide Post
I agree the Lee and a drill is about the best I have seen. It makes it easy to deburr the cases at the same time. And plus it seems to be fool proof the part I like best.

Posts: 50 | Location: Northern NM | Registered: 29 October 2004Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
I only use the Lee. I've tried them all and it's the easiest I've seen yet, at least for me.

one of us
posted Hide Post
Another vote for the Wilson trimmer.slygunner

Posts: 53 | Location: Utah | Registered: 27 September 2004Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
I use a Unimat lathe most of the time, with homemade fixturing.

Posts: 14451 | Location: Moreno Valley CA USA | Registered: 20 November 2000Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of Bill Mc
posted Hide Post
I also vote Lee and a variable speed drill.

I resize, then chuck up the case, trim it, take some steel wool and polish if needed, debur and into the tumbler.

Simple, easy and "cheap"

Posts: 1450 | Location: North Georgia | Registered: 16 December 2001Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
The Gracey in my opinion is the best...as it will not only
trim precisely, but deburr outside of neck and inside chamfer all in one operation. I use only the Gracey, it
uses caseholders that are machined to fit the case closely,
you insert the case in the holder & the motor does the work.
It does have drawbacks in the expense realm...costs around
$200 and each cartridge requires its own caseholder & they
are around $20 each. The cutter blades are touchy to adjust (for me anyway), but once adjusted are fine. Then
if you trim another different cartridge, they have to be
readjusted. But if you use the trimmer for mostly one
cartridge, there's none easier & faster that I know of, also precise. Best Regards, Tom

Posts: 262 | Location: Wyoming, U.S.A. | Registered: 11 November 2004Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Wilson for accuracy work in low volume. If you feel rich, a Gracey or a Giraud is the ultimate for high volume work - real slick, real fast.
- mike

Posts: 6653 | Location: Switzerland | Registered: 11 March 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
I have to join the exit poll here and go with the "Lee and a drill" club. They're fast, simple and cheap. I don't even bother changing the pilots, just buy a seperate pilot and cutter per caliber.

Eric

Posts: 38 | Location: Lake Tahoe, NV | Registered: 29 June 2004Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Truth is one case trimmer is as good as another...I use an old C&H, Forester, and a Wilson (the old C&H clone)...None of them are particularly accurate, but I'm not sure they need to be....

If I want accuracy, and I do when I crimp big bore cartridges or lever action loads, then I will only use a file trim die..that way I can always hit the cannalure dead center.

Posts: 41999 | Location: Twin Falls, Idaho | Registered: 04 June 2000Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Curious, for those that must have the utmost in accuracy, how inaccurate is the Lee setup. Granted, you only get one choice of length and cant make slight adjustments, but I think the process leads to consistent and repeatable length cases trimmed normal to the case axis. Or, does it just not cost enough to be good?

Posts: 134 | Location: MO | Registered: 17 February 2003Reply With Quote