New
Find
Notify
Tools

Tampa Area reloaders?
 Login/Join

One of Us
posted
I know fi have seen a few other people on the forums with the Tampa area in their location. Where do you guys buy powder and primers here locally if you do at all? Where are you doing your shooting and testing loads etc?

Wes

----
Towards danger; but not too rashly, nor too straight

Posts: 100 | Location: Tampa | Registered: 05 February 2005Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Wes, I don't know of any place that has killer prices or deals. Know what you want/price and keep your eyes open for sales. From time to time you may get lucky. My last mail order came from Natchez. Look compare shop You shouldn't have to look hard to find pistol ranges. The rifle range closest to the house(~35mi)that I use some is outside of Dade City on Hwy 52. It has 100yd rifle range. A bit further south is the Manatee range(~70mi). It has 500yds available and is maybe 21 miles east of I-75 on Hwy 62(the first Bradenton exit). I haven't used these next two ranges but both have 200yd available. They are the Wyoming Antelope Club in Pinelas County(?Largo area) and the Hernando Sportsman Club(N of Springhill near Chassahowitzka). Knowing some growers and ranchers gives me a few other spots and many miles to go. Most likely any rifle range will put some miles between you and Tampa. Best-o-Luck

Posts: 267 | Location: Tampa | Registered: 01 March 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
I shoot at the Manatee Gun Club (the let LEOs and Military Guys shoot for free), and I get my reloading stuff from a reloading shop in Dunidin (SP?). I can't find the business card right now when I find it I will post the address and phone numbers.

Posts: 66 | Location: Tampa, FL | Registered: 07 July 2001Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Wes,

I believe that most of us over here in Pinellas County get our reloading supplies at Harbor Reloading on Hercules Road in Clearwater. He carries a large stockpile of bullets, brass, shot, powder and then all the misc. bits and pieces we all need [ I needed a shell holder for 6.5x55- he had one, .404 Jeff - he had one].

Nothing there is at discounts really, just fair prices including the shipping and enough profit to stay in business. You can always find things cheaper somewhere else or mail order, but if you need it now he's usually got it or can get it quick.

I do almost all my shooting at the Wyoming Antelope Club range Which is in Pinellas Park. But very convenient to I-275 just south of the St.Pete/Clearwater Airport just south of Ulmerton Road. Longest range is only 100yds, but also 59yds 25yds 7yds etc. A pretty good well run, safe facility.

I do go to Manatee some too, but it is hell far from the beach!

Two indoor ranges in Pinellas Park too, Knights Shooting Sports, on US 19 south of Ulmerton as well [any gun up to .50bmg, 50 yds Max]. And Bill Jackson's Sports, also on US19 further south of Ulmerton hand guns only 25yds max.

Hope this helps some.

Les

Posts: 1261 | Location: Clearwater, FL and Union Pier, MI | Registered: 24 July 2003Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Thanks Les that is exactly what I was looking for. I had no idea there was a reloading store in Clearwater. I will be in that area next Saturday so I will stop in and check it out.

How about Gunsmiths anyone have any recommendations for around here?

Wes

----

One of Us
posted Hide Post
I have noticed that the powder prices at Tenoroc in Lakeland are pretty good. They have a pretty large selection of powders, but do not have much else as far as bullets and brass for rifle or handgun reloaders. I purchased 1# of RL22 for under $20 there. Come to think of it, all of the powders I looked at were under $20 a #.

They do have a lot of shotshell reloading stuff though, although that might not apply to you... I buy my powder on a range day there to make the drive worth it.

Hey Lonnie, you should try Tenoroc in Lakeland. It is not quite as far as Dade City, they have a 100yd range and pistol range. It takes me about 40 min tops to get there from 301 in Brandon as long as the construction traffic is not too bad. They do cater to clay shooters more than the range users, but the facilities are pretty decent. They have integral height adjustable bench seats attached to the shooting table at each station, sure beats sitting in folding chairs down in Manatee. Most of the time the range is fairly dead, so they do not have a range officer at the firing line sometimes. No big deal, everybody communicates when they want to go downrange.

I will never go back to the Wyoming antelope club ever again. I had my AR15 there, and they would not even let me load a magazine. had to slam the bolt on one round at a time there. they were hovering like Nazis. If you were shooting a pistol, you could not load like more than 5 rounds in the mag at a time, And they still hovered. The facilities blew, had to walk through thick mud to get to the targets hanging from chicken wire, and shoot sitting in a folding chair. I would rather eat broken glass than shoot there ever again. For the record, my buddy and I were respectful, did not act careless(the Range Nazis would not EVER let that happen), and they were still busting balls.

Sour taste in the mouth? You Bet!! I could imagine the look on their faces if I showed up there with my 375 RUM. They would practically want to shoot it for me to keep me from possibly being careless with it.

Enough of the rant. The range in Manatee is nice if you want to shoot out to I believe the berm is 575yd. You can only shoot there on weekends though, and they have a lot of cowboy shoots and rifle matches. Definately advisable to call ahead every time you want to trek down there. Lucky for me my folks live in Bradenton, so I stop there on the way to pick up Pops and his rifles.

Never been to the range in Dade City. Maybe one of these days I'll get a bug in the tail to take the drive to scope it out.

http://www.tenoroc.us/

Posts: 986 | Location: Columbia, SC | Registered: 22 January 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
I do my shooting at Tenoroc as well, but I guess I have not seen the powder he carries. It must be in that little room on the side that I haven't been in. I like the range there and Bob the normal Range Master on the rifle range is a nice guy and helpful. I was hoping for a shorter drive. I am coming from Brandon/Valrico, myself. Shoot up I-75 a bit then take I-4 all the way over and it isn't bad like you said as long as construction isn't cruddy.

Wes

----

one of us
posted Hide Post
Gixxer,

Yep, your right. When we shoot at Wyoming Antelope Club we only load one cartridge at a time in high power rifles. [handguns are allowed a full load] Always see lots of AR's out there and it does not seem to be much of a problem for most.
SAFETY is the watch word at this range located in the midst of the most densly populated county in Florida. We've all learned to deal with it - the alternatives are 1-2 hours away.

"Range Nazis"? - well, as I said, SAFETY, is the issue. I've shot there there hundreds of hours in the last few years and have never seen anyone hassled that had not done something that was or appeared to be unsafe.

The new facilities are a bit cramped and the grass has not filled in the newly cleared ranges but when it's not raining it's not much of a problem - I encourage anyone in the area to try it again now that there are so many new shooting positions [total 60+ I believe]. And bring your .375RUM, there are many shooters there that will find it quite common really.

Les

Posts: 1261 | Location: Clearwater, FL and Union Pier, MI | Registered: 24 July 2003Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Maybe they were having a bad day or something. I mean, that day thery were worse than when I learned how to shoot the M16 in basic training. No, I am not exaggerating.

Posts: 986 | Location: Columbia, SC | Registered: 22 January 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
I know this is a bit off topic, but since I have the attention of the Tampa area folks, what outfitters do you use to go pig hunting in the local area? I have not had much luck at Green Swamp.

That place turns into a warzone every general gun season, to include drunk folks flipping their pickups over on the way out at the end of the day. Imagine them walking around all day with a gun slung over their shoulder...

One of Us
posted Hide Post
Don't have an answer for you Gixxer. I grew up hunting in MS and stopped when I moved to Florida 5 years ago. I just started back again and only hunted small game this past year at Croom. I am not sure where I am going to Deer and Hog hunt this year yet.

Wes

----

one of us
posted Hide Post
Gixxer,

I haven't hunted anywhere around here either, But I would also like to hear about any hog hunting opportunities!

While all the Tampa folks are listening, are you all going to the SCI Dinner/Fundraiser on May 6 at the Fairgounds?

We'll have a booth there offering hunts in South Africa at Bethaven African Safaris!

Les

one of us
posted Hide Post
LHowell,

Can you give me some contact info? I am interested in going.

Posts: 66 | Location: Tampa, FL | Registered: 07 July 2001Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Newguy,

This should work for you.

TAMPA BAY CHAPTER, Tampa, Florida, Florida State Fairgrounds Special Events Hall, 5/6/2005, Contact - David Wiles, phone (813) 645-4661 email - energyblanket@aol.com, or fax (813) 645-0761

If that doesn't work PM me and I'll find another source for you.

See you there!

Les

One of Us
posted Hide Post
LHowell, unfortunately I do not have the cash to attend a fundraiser dinner, but I have been doing some research on game ranches and outfitters in the state, and there are a few...

If I was on my work comp, I could attach all of the links that I have found so far(goes to show how much work I actually do...). I will post those links when I go back to work Thursday night.

But, until I go back to work Thursday night, here is an overview. Basically, it is around $150 to $300 for a meat hog(under 150# mostly), and up to $1000 for a trophy boar give or take, some of those include the guide fee if there is one. Almost all of them run dogs, but also offer stand hunting, or spot and stalk. Most of the outfitters and ranches are around Lake Okechobee, a couple near Ocala, and a couple near Naples.

Some of the game ranches have the poor man's version of Mbogo. They are water buffalo, but not the Asiatic. That would be the best bang for the buck since they are charging $3000 for a harvest fee compared to $2500 and up for elk. I want to get the most meat for the dollar if I was spending that much. Not the same as going to Africa, but I cannot afford over 10g for a hunt.

One of Us
posted Hide Post