Find
Notify
Tools

RCBS pistol dies adjustments
 Login/Join

One of Us
posted
Hello,
I am having a little problem adjusting dies for a .475 linebaugh. When loading cast bullets I had no problems setting length and crimp but with jacketed bullets I am crushing the cases when I crimp. What am I doing wrong?
John

Posts: 1295 | Location: N.J | Registered: 16 October 2004Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Take 5 cases and "Trim" them all to the same length, Chamfer and Deburr.

Then do your normal Resizing and Case-mouth flaring.

With the Seating Die out of the Press, put one of those empty cases in the Shell Holder and raise the Ram. Screw the Seating Stem all the way up in the Seating Die and screw the Seating Die into the Press until you barely feel it touch the empty Case.

Back-out the Seating Die 1/4 turn and screw down the Die Lock Ring, but do not tighten the Set Screw.

Seat the Bullets at the depth you want them by screwing in the Seating Stem until you get it just right and secure the jam nut. The Case-mouth should be slightly beyond centered with a Cannelure or a groove. You still want to be able to see the edge of the Cannelure or the Groove.

Once ALL the Bullets are Seated at the proper depth, unscrew the Seating Stem so it is at the top of the Die.

Loosen the Die Lock ring and do the "Crimping" as a separate step. Screw the Die in 3/8 turn(your original 1/4 + 1/8), squash a case and look at the Crimp. If it needs a bit more, do it in very small increments of 1/16 turn or so.

Best of luck to you.

Posts: 9920 | Location: Carolinas, USA | Registered: 22 April 2001Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Thanks Hot Core I will try that tonight.
John

Posts: 1295 | Location: N.J | Registered: 16 October 2004Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Hey John, You are welcome. Let me know how it works for you.

Posts: 9920 | Location: Carolinas, USA | Registered: 22 April 2001Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
I was having a little problem with my RCBS seat and crimp die for the 41 Mag. I am currently loading four different bullets into a single lot of 700 Winchester cases. It was a pain in the butt to reset the crimp and seating die for each bullet. I was also having a bit of a problem getting sufficient crimping for my loads with H110 even when the die was bottomed out againt the ram.

The answer to all of my problems came in the form of a new Lee factory crimp die. It does a great job of crimping all my cases, even the ones that are too short to crimp properly in the RCBS die.

Idaho Shooter

Posts: 273 | Location: West Central Idaho | Registered: 15 December 2002Reply With Quote