THE ACCURATERELOADING.COM FORUMS

Accuratereloading.com    The Accurate Reloading Forums    THE ACCURATE RELOADING.COM FORUMS  Hop To Forum Categories  Guns, Politics, Gunsmithing & Reloading  Hop To Forums  Reloading    .280 Ackley Brass - Nosler, RWS, Norma, Remington

Moderators: Mark
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

.280 Ackley Brass - Nosler, RWS, Norma, Remington
 Login/Join

one of us
Picture of Kenati
posted
(edited post)

Hey fellas-

I'm resurrecting an old project that was flooded and subsequently "lost" after Hurricane Katrina.

But since then, I've recovered it and want to finish the project. (I'll post more details about the rifle on another post later... I'd like more input on that too).

Onto the heart of the matter...

It may seem sorta picky, but I like my headstamp to match the caliber of rifle that I am shooting. I plan on many of my rifles to be hand-me-downs someday to sons, daughters, or nephews and I don't want there to ever be any confusion as to what ammo goes with what rifle. So that is why I really don't want to fireform them from .280 Rem or other similar cases. At least that is my justification for leaning towards Nosler.

So which do you prefer and why? I usually use Norma, Hornady, and sometimes Lapua for my hunting & target rifles so I know the differences are probably insignificant in top quality brass like this, but I would still like to know your opinions based upon personal experience, if any.

Thanks in advance!

Question:
Which brass would you buy for the .280 Ackley Improved? (edited after seeing post below)

Choices:
Nosler
RWS
Norma
Remington

Posts: 1051 | Location: Dirty Coast | Registered: 23 November 2000Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
I would vote for Hornady but I don't think they make 280ai. I use rws 280 brass to form mine and it is better than both nosler and norma for case life and case capacity.

Posts: 146 | Location: WI | Registered: 18 January 2007Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of Kenati
posted Hide Post
Well, stab me in the eye with a sharp stick! knife

I swear they... homer killpc

After looking at Hornady.com, I see that you are right. Thanks for setting me straight.

At any rate, I read over the reviews at MidwayUSA and everyone seems to be pleased with Nosler. I think I'll just go with that.

[URL= http://www.midwayusa.com/eprod...t?saleitemid=128050] http://www.midwayusa.com/eprod...eitemid=128050[/URL]

As for the RWS, thanks for the suggestion. I might load up some 120 gr. V-Max bullets in those just to play with.

Thanks again!

Posts: 1051 | Location: Dirty Coast | Registered: 23 November 2000Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of ramrod340
posted Hide Post
quote:
At any rate, I read over the reviews at MidwayUSA and everyone seems to be pleased with Nosler

I have not used any Nosler 280AI. I have been using Nosler 280 rem seconds for a wildcat and it is working great.

As usual just my $.02
Paul K

Posts: 12881 | Location: Mexico, MO | Registered: 02 April 2001Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
I've been using the Nosler .280AI brass since it came out,I like it just fine. Monashee

Posts: 165 | Location: British Columbia,Canada | Registered: 31 January 2007Reply With Quote