New
Find
Notify
Tools

std primers for 357mag & H110?
 Login/Join

One of Us
posted
I have a quantity of primed 357mag brass, primed with standard small pistol primers. Any problem using it with H110 and 158gr JHPs?

Posts: 8169 | Location: humboldt | Registered: 10 April 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
You should have no problem with them.I use h 110 in my 41 mag and use regular primers,never had a use for the mag primers yet.

Posts: 1371 | Location: Plains,TEXAS | Registered: 14 January 2008Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by plainsman456:
You should have no problem with them.I use h 110 in my 41 mag and use regular primers,never had a use for the mag primers yet.

Thanks!

one of us
Picture of fredj338
posted Hide Post
The only pla I do use a magnum primer is w/ powders like H110/W296. They are NOT meant to be download & using a std. primer is like downloading. You'll have better results w/ mag primers & large charges of ball powder. Plainsman has been lucky.

LIFE IS NOT A SPECTATOR'S SPORT!

Posts: 7752 | Location: kalif.,usa | Registered: 08 March 2001Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
It depends on the case. For the 357 Mag Hodgdon recommends a small pistol MAGNUM primer. For the 41 mag, they recommend a standard large pistol primer, which is what I use in my 41 mag, as plainsman does.

Bottom line, I would use the mag primer for the smaller case as the small primers do not put out the same flame intensity as the large primers do.

Larry

"Peace is that brief glorious moment in history, when everybody stands around reloading" -- Thomas Jefferson

Posts: 3942 | Location: Kansas USA | Registered: 04 February 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
14.5 grs H110
CCI 500 std small pistol primers
158 gr Rem JSP

FWIW, just ran a mag full of the above load through an LAR Grizzly. Worked just fine, velocity right @ 1400fps. A very pleasant load, actually.

One of Us
Picture of Alberta Canuck
posted Hide Post
I find standard small pistol primers adequate for all my pistol reloading where the cases have small primer pockets, and I've been using ball powders in my pistols for many, many years. Have tried magnum primers several different times, but quit using them. Never found any advantage over the "standard" versions.

Posts: 9685 | Location: Cave Creek 85331, USA | Registered: 17 August 2001Reply With Quote