New
Find
Notify
Tools

Reloader #15 color markers
 Login/Join

One of Us
posted
I have fallen heir to a BUNCH of 416 Ren Mag reloads. I have pulled the bullets and am going to sell the compomnents at an upcoming gun show but want to use the powder. The powder was all listed as Reloader 15. Some of it has dark red grains and some doesn't.It all looks identical under a magnifier except for the colors. Does anyone know any history of colors in RX powders ?? [Confused]

Posts: 68 | Location: Wasilla Alaska | Registered: 09 February 2003Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
I would advise NOT to use the powder. I know it is $$$, but from your description, not all the powder is the same. Just chuck it out and fertilize your wife's garden [Wink] . You never know what powder might be in the cases, unless you loaded them yourself, and the risk is too great to save $10 or $20

reloader-1

Posts: 270 | Location: Central Pa | Registered: 03 December 2002Reply With Quote
<QUARTERBORE>
posted
Strongly agree with reloader-1,tags or identifier markings are not normally used in propellant powder. They are normally found in high explosives. You have no way of knowing what powder you have.

<eldeguello>
posted
Well, a lot of shotgun/pistol powders made by Hercules/Alliant have colored flecks in them, but I don't recall seeing it in their rifle propellants. Better ask Alliant! But the best advice is to use it for fertilizer, rather than risk using it if you don't really know what it is. Do you personally know the person who loaded those rounds??

one of us
posted Hide Post
Sounds like it might begaining to decay. I would throw it unless your very hard up for powder like this is the only stuff you have other wise get rid of it.

Posts: 19617 | Location: wis | Registered: 21 April 2001Reply With Quote
Picture of Paul H
posted Hide Post
I've never seen colors in any of the Reloader series powder.

I would dump it, a gun is worth a whole lot more then a $20 lb of powder!!! Boondocks in Eagle River has RL 15 for $20.95 a pound, as far as I know, the best price in South Central.

Posts: 7213 | Location: Alaska | Registered: 27 February 2001Reply With Quote
posted Hide Post
Wasilla:

I have to agree with the boys on this one.If you are not 100% sure on what you have fire it out.

Grijim [Cool]

Posts: 21 | Location: Prince Rupert ,B.C. | Registered: 29 January 2003Reply With Quote
Picture of jeffeosso
posted Hide Post
ah,, I won't shoot anyone else's reloads, unless it's in THEIR gun, and I've known them a LONG time...

use a collet puller, and sell the parts, use the power for lighting a bonfire...

jeffe

Posts: 39712 | Location: Conroe, TX | Registered: 01 June 2002Reply With Quote