New
Find
Notify
Tools

510 Wells with 570 Barnes
 Login/Join

One of Us
posted
I have a 510 wells express that produces excellent results with Barnes 600 gr originals. I am getting almost 2600 fps with these bullets and about 1.5" at 100 yards! I have some 570 gr woodleighs and 570 gr Barnes XLC that I would like to experiment with. Where do I start? I need to check my notes to make sure but I recall using 119 gr of RE 15.

Thank you!

Posts: 54 | Location: Burns, Oregon | Registered: 09 February 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
I looked up my notes and found that I am currently shooting 122 gr of RE 15. I do remember that 124 gr of the same powder produced a sticky bolt and 2750 fps with the 600 gr Barnes.

Posts: 54 | Location: Burns, Oregon | Registered: 09 February 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Fellas,

I would love to get some feedback on my current load and reccomendations for developing loads with the 570 XLC. I just got done reading the archived loads for 500 A-Square and I am a little frightened and perplexed by the amount of RE-15 that I am burning. Keep in my mind that I developed my current load of 122 gr of RE-15 about 5 yrs ago before I even new this site existed. I did all of the experimentation on my own trying IMR 4350, WW760, and RE-15. My brother even bought me a can of N-540 that I have yet to open. I have fired about 100 rounnds of the RE-15 at 122 gr with no ill effect. Am I pushing my luck too much??? This is a BBK action and a Douglas premium bbl. I did re-bed the action 2 yrs ago and added pillars. I fired about 4 test rounds after my stock work just to function test and no problems to report. I have not shot the rifle since as I have poor luck drawing an elk tag!

Please help!!

Edited:

My main concern with the XLC bullest is that they are longer compared to Barnes 600 orignals and I am worried about powder compression to adequately seat the XLC to fit in my magazine. The XLC (although coated) has greater bearing surface while in the bbl. Both of these factors might increase pressure????

One of Us
posted Hide Post
I would appreciate any advice as I am not as brave as I used to be in developing loads now that I have a 9 month old daughter. Wink