Find
Notify
Tools

Barnes TSX : excellent accuracy but !
 Login/Join

One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
But as far as monometal HP's go they are known to do this and Gerard Shultz who makes GSHV's is very aware of this and he has made the hole bigger and the jacket where the hole starts is way thinner and far more uniform than say the Barnes X.

Alf,

Only a few weeks ago Katte Katzke took GS-HP bullets on an expidition. They failed as they did not open up, despite having a larger cavity than the barnes-X bullet.

He shot various .416/380 gr GS-HPs with his 416 Rigby into the stomach of a buffalo. Mauritz will publish the pictures of the failed HP bullets shortly. Two of the 3 bullets, even though they behaved like solids, could not exit the buffalo's stomach.

GSC has now replaced these bullets with the lighter 330 gr HV for Katte's second expedition, since he last made the HP's in 1998.

I do think the lighter HV's will expand at (330gr at 2700fps) higher velocity, but they are bound to lose their petals way before they reach the vitals. It remains to be seen what wound channel will be created through the vitals - perhaps a tiny hole? Anyhow, we should have the new field results shortly.

Regards
Chris Bekker

Posts: 656 | Location: RSA | Registered: 03 December 2004Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
/

<JOHAN>
posted
ALF

Interesting. Am not surprised at all. I had problem with barnes X not opening up at game.

Contacted Barnes regarding the performance and they were aware the problems some batches could have.

I don't use mono metal bullets anymore thumbdown

Cheers
/JOHAN