New
Find
Notify
Tools

280 and H4350
 Login/Join

one of us
posted
Having done a thorough search I have a question on this combination. I load 59.5 w/120 TTSX and 54.5 w/140 AB. Both loads appear to be upper end and well in excess of "manual" lawyer based loads. Neither produces sign of excess pressure and both extremely accurate in my pre 64 fwt. What are your opinions? 210 fed primers and rp cases at 3.37 fyi.

Thanks for your input.

Posts: 1324 | Registered: 17 February 2004Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Each rifle/bullet/load/chamber/barrel combination is a Law unto Itself .... same with the Loader; how far you push the envelope is up to you.

Having said that I've also paid the price some Full throttle loads, too; not with an accident mind you; but IMO Too Much of a Good Thing has always ended up being one of Life's Little Learning Experiences.

Cheers,

Number 10

Posts: 3433 | Location: Frankfurt, Germany | Registered: 23 December 2004Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Oh my. Thanks Gerry

One of Us
Picture of BNagel
posted Hide Post
You're definitely above Barnes max but my BDL DM pressure checked fine at 55 grains with 140 grain 'X' and 58 grains with 120 grain Sierra bullets, and I do NOT "push the envelope".

.280 data had to be fine in pump and semi-auto models so in this case exceeding published data in a bolt gun usually works out. Do you have 7x64 Brenneke data? I have a CZ 550 that uses same loads as my .280 Rem (but NOT same brass).

Caveat emptor, as always.

Posts: 4885 | Location: Bryan, Texas | Registered: 12 January 2005Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Thanks for the info BNagel. Yes, I have two of the barnes manuals as well as Nosler, Speer, Hornady and Hogdon which are part of my "research" but will check the 7X64 data in them as well. Yes, I am also into caveat emptor as is the above poster! Great to be puppets of our legal system!!

one of us
Picture of ramrod340
posted Hide Post
Well in the for whats it worth department QL calls your Nosler load around 56,000psi but your Barnes load at 71,000. Question I would ask is how many loads do you get before the head won't hold a primer?

The issue with the Barnes is it is critical how far from the lands you are. A long running start can greatly reduce the pressure peak.

As usual just my $.02
Paul K

Posts: 12881 | Location: Mexico, MO | Registered: 02 April 2001Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
ramrod, that is info I was hoping to see and thank you. Now a big correction to my original post, it is the 120 grain TTSX NOT 130 as in my original post. Also using Sinclair tool I found the lands at 3.49 so I am 0.12 off the lands with the load. My guess is the correct weight of the bullet helps drop the pressure in your QL computation. Oh, just put primers in cases that were fired twice and noticed very slight weakness in five or six of 50 cases primed.

Thanks so much for running it. Best regards.

one of us
Picture of ramrod340
posted Hide Post
quote:
My guess is the correct weight of the bullet helps drop the pressure in your QL computation

Yep back to around 65,000. Basically the same as the 270. As to is the load too hot. How many loading can you get from your brass. 1-2 then yes to hot for me. 5-6 then not too hot for me.

I will admit to using some 280 loads in my young and foolish days that on about the 3 loading I could seat the primer with my finger.

As usual just my $.02
Paul K

one of us
posted Hide Post
Good info Paul. SAAMI in the 60-65,000 range for the 280? This would be absolute top side and all this brass had their 1st firing life as Hornady Light Magnum factory ammo! Will see how these twice fired cases go and adjust accordingly. Appreciate your time and experience and wish our German friends in this thread the best with their reloading questions.

One of Us
posted Hide Post
The real question is what are you gaining by red lining the rifle? Other than some rather nebulous bragging rights, how much "extra" velocity are you getting? A flatter trajectory isn't one of the gains you'll be getting. So, what are you accomplishing? If it's a hunting rifle, flawless function and dependability will trump a couple of hundred feet per second every time.

Aim for the exit hole

Posts: 4348 | Location: middle tenn | Registered: 09 December 2009Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
I have gotten a lot of good info from many of your posts so I will withhold my initial desire to print my feelings relative to your post.

I started this post to gain information not to say anything about "mine is bigger and badder than yours"!

Paul was kind enough to let me know technically I may be borderline on this one load - give me a break! Geeez.

one of us
Picture of ramrod340
posted Hide Post
In the days I was realy pushing my brass I didn't even have a Chrono. It just so happened that the accuracy point with the powder I was using was on the edge. Or maybe just past it. rotflmo So velocity had no bearing on it.

But at that time I was using 1 or 2 powders. Once I expanded the powder options a little I could usually find a point at lower pressure.

Remember those are QL numbers that sure doesn't mean the pressure is the same in someone's rifle.

As usual just my $.02
Paul K

one of us
posted Hide Post
Isn't it a sad statement as to the state of our legal system when a person, in good faith, can no longer share information with anyone seeking help without being afraid of our own "bar"! Although not totally on board with Newt Gingrich I am firmly on board with his desire to reinvent our system of legal jurisprudence! May God help us from our own.

Thanks for sharing your experience in the face of the plaintiff's bar!

One of Us
posted Hide Post
Actually, it was a valid question which you avoided answering with a batch of babblespeak. The simple point is you came in here wanting a validation for red-lining your rifle (the cute little comment about lawyer driven load books was the give away). And when you didn't get the answers you wanted, you got in a snit. Too bad, if you don't want to learn anything, especially something that doesn't agree with your ideas, you shouldn't post them in a public forum.

Aim for the exit hole

Posts: 4348 | Location: middle tenn | Registered: 09 December 2009Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Had I known it was red line no need to ask about it and show my ignorance. Wish other would use the same logic sometime. In fact I did get the answer I wanted and acted on the answer. Not that you care and Icertainly do not and the answer did NOT come from you but thanks for the ride! Public forum does mean I am welcome as are you. I will say again "lawyer driven load books". Bring it!

one of us
posted Hide Post
I am happy and wasbeeman may be if possible. Switched to H4831 and 59.0 w/120 TTSX and 55.5 w/140 AB and Partitions. Hopefully this will satisfy my critics and any event works well for me.
Paul, thanks for your help and if you happen to see these new loads would you post the QL info on them when you find the time.

one of us
Picture of ramrod340
posted Hide Post
Hey if they are accurate and no pressure in your rifle works for me.

120 TTSX about 51,000
140AB around 47,500 and the part 44,400

Yes per QL you leave pressure on the table. but so what. I'd say you are also running out of case with that powder. Again I take accuracy over velocity every time except when I'm looking for bragging rights. Big Grin

As usual just my $.02
Paul K

one of us
posted Hide Post
Paul, thanks so much for sharing your time and knowledge as well as the info you were kind enough to pm to me. Hodgdon lists 51,000 and 50,500 and velocities of 3066 and 2871, respectively so QL is pretty close to them.

May have to break out the 35 chrono that I bought and have never used just for data gathering if nothing else.

Interesting stuff and thanks again and hope I am able to reciprocate with info to you on some subject in the future.

one of us
Picture of ramrod340
posted Hide Post
quote:
3066 and 2871, respectively so QL is pretty close to them.

QL 120 velocity using a 24" is 3050fps a 140 Accubond is 2805fps the Part. Close enough to get you on the paper. Wink

You are welcome. I've always loved the 280. My first build was the 280. Then I used the 280 case for the parent for a number of wildcats.

As usual just my $.02
Paul K