Find
Notify
Tools

Primer shortage?
 Login/Join

One of Us
Picture of GrosVentreGeorge
posted
I never really realized just how serious this shortage is. I went to capital sports the other day to get some Win small rifle primers or maybe some rem 7 1/2's and was SOL. I didn't even have the option of substituting Fed's or CCI's. After checking Sportsman's Warehouse and seeing bare shelves I started to worry. Even Midway is out for Christ sakes! Luckily I found some Fed's but forgive me if I won't say what town.

What is the reason for this shortage? I had heard about it but I guess I was never concerned enough before to look into it further.

"I would rather have a German division in front of me than a French one behind me." -- General George S. Patton

Posts: 427 | Location: The Big Sky aka Dodson, MT | Registered: 22 May 2007Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Gun control. Get ready to see more of it after the election no matter who gets in. B. Hussien O. and the geriatric are both bad guys in this respect.

Posts: 104 | Location: Alaska | Registered: 24 June 2006Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
My buddy who works at Sportsman's Warehouse says they have been told by their suppliers that the shortage of primers, brass, bullets and powder is due to the war on terrorism.

The DoD is buying huge lots of small arms ammo to make up for stock expended and to ensure a supply for future conflicts etc. Ammo, primer and bullet makers are scambling to meet the DoD demands and the civilian side of the house is starting to feel the effects with shortages of reloading supplies.

Posts: 228 | Location: Huson Montana | Registered: 31 January 2008Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
The military has been buying literally BILLIONS more rounds than their normal procurements. It takes a while for them to catch up and the Military gets theirs first.
This is the issue with temporary shortages. When Primers are available buy them by the case..........................DJ

....Remember that this is all supposed to be for fun!..................

Posts: 3976 | Location: Oklahoma,USA | Registered: 27 February 2004Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of bartsche
posted Hide Post
FrownerGeorge W. Who? Eekerroger

Old age is a high price to pay for maturity!!! Some never pay and some pay and never reap the reward. Wisdom comes with age! Sometimes age comes alone..

Posts: 10226 | Location: Temple City CA | Registered: 29 April 2003Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of seafire2
posted Hide Post
I just saw our local guard unit training at our range a few weekends ago...

these guys must have blown off 1500 rounds per guy... and we are talking 40 to 50 guys...

they have to account for their brass, and turn it all in when used...

heck, I could have gone thru 3 lifetimes on the supply of brass they went thru that Sunday..

No wonder there is a supply shortage...

Life Member: The American Vast Right Wing Conspiracy

Jan 20, 2009.. Prisoner in Dumocrat 'Occupied America', Partisan in the 'Save America' Underground

Beavis..... James Beavis..... Of Her Majesty's Secret Service..... Spell Check Division

"Posterity — you will never know how much it has cost my generation to preserve your freedom. I hope you will make good use of it."
John Quincy Adams

A reporter did a human-interest piece on the Texas Rangers. The reporter recognized the Colt Model 1911 the Ranger was carrying and asked him "Why do you carry a 45?" The Ranger responded, "Because they don't make a 46."

Duhboy....Nuttier than Squirrel Poop...

Posts: 9316 | Location: Between Confusion and Lunacy ( Portland OR & San Francisco CA) | Registered: 12 September 2007Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Hunt-ducks
posted Hide Post
Ya I remember the last primer shortage caused by panic buying same as the S&W shortage of the 70's people stock piling smiths for no reason.

Anybody want to buy primers and S&W Big Grin

I'll sit this one out.

Posts: 450 | Location: CA. | Registered: 15 May 2006Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by seafire2:
they have to account for their brass, and turn it all in when used...

Honestly?? I somehow can't imagine the US Government being involved in a large scale reloading operation (could be wrong?)... So is the brass melted down and recycled into new brass, or what??

- mike

The rifle is a noble weapon... It entices its bearer into primeval forests, into mountains and deserts untenanted by man. - Horace Kephart

Posts: 6653 | Location: Switzerland | Registered: 11 March 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of fredj338
posted Hide Post
I think certain areas are experienceing shortages & on certain brands but except for Federal, I have been able to find WW, RP & CCI pretty much when ever I need them. Fortunately , I buy in bulk when I do (5K min.) so I have plenty. dancing
FWIW, those of you that think Obama & McCain are cut from the same cloth on gun control, you better do alittle more research. McCain will do nothing new, Obama will confiscate or regulate until you might as well turn them in. Mad

LIFE IS NOT A SPECTATOR'S SPORT!

Posts: 7752 | Location: kalif.,usa | Registered: 08 March 2001Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Just wait till they actually make it onto the shelves.
\then you'll have people rushing to buy 25K and the shelves will be cleaned of all primers.

Posts: 3986 | Location: in the tall grass "milling" around. | Registered: 09 December 2006Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
mho
They are not collecting the brass for reloading. Rather it goes to surplus auctions. The smallest lot I saw a few years ago was thousands of pounds of brass.
Some is sold on contract, highest bidder.

muck

Posts: 1052 | Location: Southern OHIO USA | Registered: 17 November 2001Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of NEJack
posted Hide Post
Plenty of primers here, though you might have to check a few shops if you want something different than CCI.

Posts: 727 | Location: Eastern Iowa (NUTS!) | Registered: 29 March 2003Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Sorry, I only bought what I needed Smiler

I learned a while back that it sucks having to switch primers on a load that works.

Based on my calculations, I shouldn't need powder or primers for a long long time.

one of us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by muck:
mho
They are not collecting the brass for reloading. Rather it goes to surplus auctions. The smallest lot I saw a few years ago was thousands of pounds of brass.
Some is sold on contract, highest bidder.

muck

I see, thanks!

- mike

The rifle is a noble weapon... It entices its bearer into primeval forests, into mountains and deserts untenanted by man. - Horace Kephart

Posts: 6653 | Location: Switzerland | Registered: 11 March 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of bartsche
posted Hide Post
EekerWent to the Orange County Gun show yesterday and they had all the Winchester primers you could want or buy for $24.00/k. They had a smattering of others. Federal's were noticeably not there.

Picked up 2000 Wolf small rifle primers and will be testing these in the next couple weeks. fishingroger

Old age is a high price to pay for maturity!!! Some never pay and some pay and never reap the reward. Wisdom comes with age! Sometimes age comes alone..

Posts: 10226 | Location: Temple City CA | Registered: 29 April 2003Reply With Quote