THE ACCURATERELOADING.COM FORUMS

Moderators: Mark
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

BarnesX bullets: groups and terminal results?
 Login/Join

posted
I'm going on my firt elk hunt this year and have picked up a 7mm untra mag. So far I have been pleased with 160 gr. Partitions but would like to go heavier and am concerned that they may break up a little too easy. One of the bullets I'm looking at is the Barnes X.

I've heard from several folks who have used them on elk, bear and deer that they perform like a dream. I've also read in this forum that some folks have had trouble getting them to group well.

Has anyone had good luck in both respects?

Posts: 21 | Location: Wisconsin | Registered: 08 March 2003Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of todbartell
posted Hide Post
The Barnes X is a real solid hunting bullet. Near 100% weight retention, and very deep penetration. Since they don't loose any weight, you can drop down in bullet weight, and gain velocity. Or you can use a 160 gr. X and get very deep holes. I would try a 140 gr. or 150 gr. X, maybe the coated XLC's too. The high speed of a 7mm Ultra could lead to rapid copper fouling with a regular X.

Alot of people don't even try them because of the rumors that they can't be accurate. I haven't tried them in many cals, just 130, 160, & 175 gr. 7mm Rem Mag. I bought a bunch of 140 gr. 6.5mm XLC's, and some 300 gr. .416" X's, but haven't shot them yet.

I've gotten sub MOA with the 130 & 175 gr., but to be honest, I haven't shot many groups. Just good enough for hunting, so good enough is good enough. The 160 gr. X's were a bit bigger groups, but I didn't try to hard to get them to shoot.

Barnes reccomends seating them .050" off the lands to start. Also, buy some copper cleaner, like Barnes CR-10, and scrub the bore until it's copper free.

Oh yeah, I have shot 2 deer, 10 black bears, and 1 moose with the Barnes X, 7mm & 30 cal. Haven't recovered a bullet yet, even a front-to-end shot on a 5X5 mule deer at 50 yards (165 gr. 30 cal). Also have seen firsthand the effect of the X on a moose, and a couple bears. I'm gonna be using the X this spring for bears. 140 gr. 6.5mm and 300 gr. 416

[ 03-13-2003, 10:38: Message edited by: todbartell ]

Posts: 857 | Location: BC, Canada | Registered: 03 November 2001Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of papaschmud
posted Hide Post
x's do perform well in meat and the accuracy poblems can be licked, but sometimes it will take some tinckering. if you decide to try them, be sure to start around .050 off the lands for your first shot at seating depth. IME they don't like to be close to the lands.

i haven't tried that particular partition on a critter of that size or at that speed, however, i would be glad to buy you a steak dinner at the venue of your choosing if you use that bullet and it comes apart. [Big Grin] if you feel you absolutely must have more weight, you could go to the 175 partition. either of those bullets will most likely be easier to get accuracy from vs. the x bullet.

gabe

Posts: 410 | Location: Granite City, WI | Registered: 10 March 2003Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of boilerroom
posted Hide Post
I can't see the 160gr. Partition comming apart at any of the 7mag speeds. At worst you may lose most of your lead out of the front but doubt you will have it actually break up.

It's more likely that you will lose pedals on the X at those speeds and maybe have a reduced exit wound channel. Elk are big but not huge. The decision should be what your rifle shoots best but the Partition is a great elk load. That's what I load for elk, 160 7mm partiton.

Posts: 4326 | Location: Under the North Star! | Registered: 25 December 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
I had a 7mm Wby mag and it shot the 160 grain Barnes X bullets real well,but it would not put the 160 grain XLC's in a hardhat at 50 yards.Others have liked the XLC's,but the 2 guns I tried them in,neither one would shoot them well but they would both shoot the uncoated X bullets in 1 inch groups at 100 yards.

Posts: 507 | Location: Rogersville ,tn,usa | Registered: 06 August 2001Reply With Quote
posted Hide Post
Thanks for your help all. I think I'll finish what I started with the partitions, if for no other reason than to get more shooting in with the new gun, and then try the X bullets as well.

Thanks again for the help!

Posts: 21 | Location: Wisconsin | Registered: 08 March 2003Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of WyoJoe
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by NewReloader:
I've heard from several folks who have used them on elk, bear and deer that they perform like a dream. I've also read in this forum that some folks have had trouble getting them to group well.

The Barnes X bullet is a good choice as is the Partition. If you try the X bullet you MUST start with an ABSOLUTELY CLEAN bore & then clean it again every 10 to 20 shots. Even with this extra work I think they are worth it. I have only used them in the .375 H&H and I am very pleased with them. I fired them into a railroad tie at a distance of about 10 feet and they held together perfectly. No broken petals. I would recommend a cleaner called "Wipeout" if you can find it. It does a very good job of cleaning the bore. I took a muley buck with the .375 loaded with the Barnes 235 gr X over 83 gr of IMR 4350. Performance was excellent.

[ 03-15-2003, 09:35: Message edited by: WyoJoe ]

Posts: 1172 | Location: Cheyenne, WY | Registered: 15 March 2001Reply With Quote