New
Find
Notify
Tools

Hornady 154 gr. Interbond vs. 140 BT
 Login/Join

one of us
posted
Over in the big game discussion area, I was asking advise on the 140's ability to kill Mule Deer and peoples experience. I was worried about the job it would do. Out of curosity, I loaded 3 rounds with 58.5 grains of RL22 in my 280 Ackley and shot them at 100 yards. They printed a 1 hole group. I loaded more and shot again at 200 and compared them to the 140's. They both printed dead on at 200 yards with 3/4" to 1" groups. I then shot the 140's and 154's at 350 yards. I got about a 5-6 inch group here. I then shot the 154's and shot a 2.5 inch group dead on height wise and just 5 inches right of center. Their point of impact was the same as the 140's. The 350 yard shot was from the window of his box stand in the field and not truly a sandbag rest. I was amazed so I read up on each bullet and the characteristics of each. The 154 is longer and has a higher B.C. than the 140 nosler bt. This was a win win for me. A better bullet, I'm assuming, on impact at all angles and tissues and less powder the boot for loading. I was wondering if other's had experienced the same results and what the Interbonds did at all velocities and ranges on deer sized game. Thanks for the responses.

Posts: 214 | Location: north carolina | Registered: 16 January 2004Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
I have had good luck with the 154 gr. HOrnadys in both spitzer and RN in my 7x57 at varied ranges...I would prefer the heavier bullet for all around use up close and long range...unless the 140 was a premium like a Nolser or Northfork or whatever...then either would suit me.

Ray Atkinson
Atkinson Hunting Adventures
10 Ward Lane,
Filer, Idaho, 83328
208-731-4120

rayatkinsonhunting@gmail.com

Posts: 42176 | Location: Twin Falls, Idaho | Registered: 04 June 2000Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of jackfish
posted Hide Post
The .284" 154 grain Hornady Interbond works for me!

You learn something new everyday whether you want to or not.

Posts: 1080 | Location: Western Wisconsin | Registered: 21 May 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
I shot a deer with the 165 grain .308" Interbond last year. It was close range at approximately 3100 fps. I hit the buck behind the shoulder and went through both lungs and out the far side. He ran 50 yards and laid down. Exit hole was approximately 1.5". The bullet worked well, but I think it was a little too tough for deer. They work great in elk, but I had quicker kills from the regular SST or Interlock. It's hard to make an informed judgement based on one deer. I might have come to a completely different conclusion if I had hit the deer in the shoulder and had to penetrate a lot of bone.

Posts: 428 | Location: Bozeman, MT | Registered: 04 January 2005Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Jackfish: Ive seen that whitetail way too close to my hunt in Wyoming. I'm at my desk at work and I'll not be able to concentrate the rest of the day and until I leave Saturday.
Everytime I see that picture it takes me to another place. Great Deer!!
I know I've asked before but how far was the shot? I only have one concern with using the tough Interbond. Will it open on the longer, lower velocity shots? That's why I ask this question about how far your shot was. Thanks for the response.

Posts: 214 | Location: north carolina | Registered: 16 January 2004Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by elkhunter:
I shot a deer with the 165 grain .308" Interbond last year. It was close range at approximately 3100 fps. I hit the buck behind the shoulder and went through both lungs and out the far side. He ran 50 yards and laid down. Exit hole was approximately 1.5". The bullet worked well, but I think it was a little too tough for deer. They work great in elk, but I had quicker kills from the regular SST or Interlock. It's hard to make an informed judgement based on one deer. I might have come to a completely different conclusion if I had hit the deer in the shoulder and had to penetrate a lot of bone.

I too used a 165 IB last year in my 300 WSM, at about the same velocity. The yearling buck was almost 200 yds. The bullet hit a little high and clipped the last rib. It clipped the rear lobe of the lung, front of the liver, and the bottom of the spine. It opened well in the small amount of tissue it encountered.

Also, I'm loading the 139 IB for my nephews 7400 .280. Also use it in my Ruger .280. he killed 5 deer with it this last year. Not a single deer moved, they all dropped in their tracks. Most were at or over 100 yds, and various angles. Complete penetration, massive internal dammage and little or no shock damaged meat.

As for the 154, it would probably open slower, I doubt it would fail to expand even at longer ranges. My expansion tests with the 165 and 180 .30 IB's show that expansion happens early, then they penetrate deeply. The polymer tip enitiates expansion even at slower velocities.

if you run, you just die tired

It's not that life is so short, it's that death is sooo long!

Speak kindly to me, beloved master. Revel in my unconditional love, and give me every minute that you can spare, for my time with you is short.

Your faithful dog

Posts: 596 | Location: Oshkosh, Wi USA | Registered: 28 July 2001Reply With Quote