New
Find
Notify
Tools

Stoney Point Oal tool - I must be an idiot
 Login/Join

one of us
posted
Ok, got the tool, now made by Hornady and had some once fired brass tapped. I measured several different bullets of each box about a month ago. Got some consistent readings, now I can't reproduce those nbrs. The funny thing is the lands are measuring CLOSER now. I've got the gun soaking to make sure there is no carbon or copper in the throat giving false readings.

I should have never measured again. This time readings were about .030 different which is alot. It was a good idea, but now it's just causing frustration.

Anybody else have similar issues or am I just mechanically challenged?

one of us
posted Hide Post
Are you talking about the Stoneypoint Ogive Comparator that attaches to your micrometer?

I have never had a use for that OAL contraption they sell.

Posts: 4821 | Location: Idaho/North Mex. | Registered: 12 June 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Different lot of bullets?

Dirtier chamber with the initial measurements?

Posts: 283 | Location: SW Oregon | Registered: 12 June 2004Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by jb177:
... This time readings were about .030 different which is alot. ...
This is absolutely "normal" for the Thingys. You are not mechanically challenged if you get widely varying readings trying to use it.

Remember these two words as you use it - Trash Can.

Best of luck to you.

Posts: 9920 | Location: Carolinas, USA | Registered: 22 April 2001Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of woods
posted Hide Post
Hey jb

Don't listen to HC, he is an habitual naysayer and technologically challenged. Big Grin I think mho put it best

quote:
Varmitshooter, you can safely ignore Hot Core's comment. Although a very experienced reloader and (I assume) in general an intelligent guy, Hot Core seems to suffer from pavlovian conditioning to the term "Stoney Point Headspace Gauge".

It seems every time the poor lad encounters the term, he develops a bad case of frothing at the mouth, and has to jump into the discussion regardless of whether he has anything constructive to offer or not. I'm not quite sure if there is a scientific term for his condition, but we get to observe it regularly here.

- mike

Getting different measurements has happened to me before but is rare. Cleaning the gun solved the problem with me. There is also a possiblility that a very small protrusion in the chamber is changing things. Also since you are seating the modified case against the case shoulder/chamber shoulder make sure your chamber is clean.

Another way I found to get more consistant measurements is to apply a little more force than recommended by the instructions. This will seat the bullet a little more into the lands and is more a jam measurement than a kiss-the-lands measurement.

Chinese Proverb: When someone shares something of value with you and you benefit from it, you have a moral obligation to share it with others.

Posts: 2750 | Location: Houston, Tx | Registered: 17 January 2005Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Make sure that you have the modified case screwed on tight. I had one come loose once and my measurements were all messed up.
I get pretty consistent measurements by putting pressure on the gauge with one hand and tapping the inner rod(spring) with the index finger of the other. Just pushing the rod(spring) in until it stops always produced in consistent results. Give it a few taps.

Posts: 1205 | Location: Minnesota | Registered: 07 February 2004Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Well, it's a new day, i'll give it a try again. The first time I used it, everything seemed to be so easy.....

One of Us
posted Hide Post
I had the very same thing happen to me but the reading was .060 closer. Short answer is carbon in the throat. Take a nylon brush wrapped with a patch, coat with JB and clean the first 12 inches of the barrel with about 50 strokes. 25 will probably do it but more wont hurt. You will be able to tell a big difference in how easy a patch on a jag goes in the barrel after that. A wrapped jag wont get it all out and a bronze brush cant be reversed in the bore, so use nylon. I use JB Bore Brite, the red stuff. It is so fine you cant feel any abrasive but it really cleans and polishes the throat. Just make sure to clean it all out before you shoot it. Since it is a polish the black on it will be there even on a perfectly clean surface so dont think you have to use it until it comes out clean because it wont. I blamed the tool the first time too.

Posts: 132 | Location: Huntertown,Indiana | Registered: 11 May 2007Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of MickinColo
posted Hide Post
It’s one of those tools that need a consistent touch. It’ll drive you nuts for a while until you develop the feel for it.

Posts: 2650 | Location: Lakewood, CO | Registered: 15 February 2003Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by woods:
Hey jb

Don't listen to HC, he is an habitual naysayer and technologically challenged. Big Grin ...
If by that you actually meant to imply - that I prefer Methods that work - then I agree. thumb

Are any of you aware that you can measure Seating Depth more accurately with a straight piece of Bailing Wire than a Thingy? If you are using it in your own rifles, wrap the Bailing Wire in Duct Tape to protect the rifling. If you are using it in a "good buddies rifle"(or a 6.5RemMag A-Bolt) there is no need to use the Duct Tape. rotflmo

Posts: 9920 | Location: Carolinas, USA | Registered: 22 April 2001Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of Ol` Joe
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Hot Core:
quote:
Originally posted by woods:
Hey jb

Don't listen to HC, he is an habitual naysayer and technologically challenged. Big Grin ...
If by that you actually meant to imply - that I prefer Methods that work - then I agree. thumb

Are any of you aware that you can measure Seating Depth more accurately with a straight piece of Bailing Wire than a Thingy? If you are using it in your own rifles, wrap the Bailing Wire in Duct Tape to protect the rifling. If you are using it in a "good buddies rifle"(or a 6.5RemMag A-Bolt) there is no need to use the Duct Tape. rotflmo

Come on HC, you can measure case heads to 0.0001" when judging pressure, but can`t push a bullet down a bore with a rod and hit the leade twice to set your OAL???

jumping

------------------------------------
The trouble with the Internet is that it's replacing masturbation as a leisure activity. ~Patrick Murray

"Why shouldn`t truth be stranger then fiction?
Fiction after all has to make sense." (Samual Clemens)

"Saepe errans, numquam dubitans --Frequently in error, never in doubt".

Posts: 2535 | Location: Michigan | Registered: 20 January 2001Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Slowpoke Slim
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by MickinColo:
It’s one of those tools that need a consistent touch. It’ll drive you nuts for a while until you develop the feel for it.

Thats exactly right. Also it takes a constant careful touch when "locking" the set screw before you extract the unit from the chamber. Most of my inconsistancies were caused by that. It only takes a gentle "set" to the screw to lock it down enough to work.

Si tantum EGO eram dimidium ut bonus ut EGO memor

Posts: 1146 | Location: Bismarck, ND | Registered: 31 August 2006Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
I broke down and purchased the Hornady/stoney point thingy. I found that a very small amount of pressure on the bullet gave false readings. The instruction booklet said to use 3-4 pounds of pressure on the bullet adjustment road but in my (very uneducated) opinion that seemed like a lot of pressure.

Also I think when you insert the modified case into the chamber you have to put it in very snug (again I stress I am just a beginner). When I didnt my readings were inconsistent.

I found that using a dowel rod through the muzzle end helped develop a feel for when the bullet came into contact with the lands.

I also used the cleaning rod/dowel rod measuring method and did find that the measurement was pretty close to what I got with the oal guage.

It did does not appear to be an exact science for sure but it is damn fun.

Mike

Posts: 74 | Location: Mid Michigan | Registered: 19 August 2005Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Ol` Joe:
...Come on HC, you can measure case heads to 0.0001" when judging pressure, but can`t push a bullet down a bore with a rod and hit the leade twice to set your OAL???

jumping
When it is said in that contex, it does sound kinda bad! rotflmo BOOM

One of Us
posted Hide Post
I recently bought one.
It works fine on most of my rifles , but
My old FN .270 must have some funnylands or somthing. It even feels funny when you push the bullet up.
I do have to remember to screw the case tight frequently cause it tends to come slightly loose.
...tj3006

freedom1st

One of Us
posted Hide Post
A couple of things to remember when using the coparator on the calipers is to use the correct caliber. Also, when installing the comparator on the calipers that you re-ZERO your calipers.
I use one on every caliber I load for and the tool is very accurate. I load for 6 different rifles. Just my thoughts on the subject.

Tony

Posts: 77 | Location: Sparks, Nevada | Registered: 09 June 2007Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Its a good tool very accurate but the numbers will rarly repeat exact every time but they will be close. Remember all those things that can give a different reading . Pressure consistancy on the rod , clean barrel , slight difference in bullet ogive out of the same box. zero the calipers like tony said . Practice with it you will grow to trust it. I use it on 6 different calibers also
Wayles

Posts: 57 | Location: western nebraska | Registered: 04 February 2006Reply With Quote