Find
Notify
Tools

44 Magnum - split cases
 Login/Join

one of us
posted
Gun is Ruger SBH.
I had around 65-70 44 Mag, loaded with 240 gr Hornady XTP's. They had been loaded for a couple of years or so with 24 grains of ww-296.
I got some of them out a while ago and while shooting I noticed some of the cases were split after being ejected from the cylinder.
Then I got to wondering and checked the unfired rounds a little closer and found that some of those cases were split too.

My Question is, did these split because of metal fatigue? Is it normal for them to sometimes split while in storage. I've never had this happen before.
Perhaps the ones that were not split should be annealed.

Chuck - Retired USAF- Life Member, NRA & NAHC

Posts: 454 | Location: Russell (way upstate), NY - USA | Registered: 11 July 2003Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of fredj338
posted Hide Post
I've seen this in some of my reloaded ammo stored over time. It's more prevelant in lead bullet loads, I think do to the bullets actually "sprining" back in size (0.001") ever so slightly over time. I haven't seen it much in jacketed loads but I suspect annealing the case necks would help.

LIFE IS NOT A SPECTATOR'S SPORT!

Posts: 7752 | Location: kalif.,usa | Registered: 08 March 2001Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Is the split at the mouth of the case? If so you may have reloaded them too many times. Toss them and buy new cases. Are you shooting them out of different guns? John

one of us
posted Hide Post
These were only fired in the Ruger SBH.
As noted above, some of these cases were split even before they were fired.

The split goes from the case mouth, to just below the base of the bullet.

I think that the cases are just "work hardened"!
I think I'll try examining the empties that weren't split and if they look ok, then I'll probably try annealing them.
Other than the split, the look perfect.

Posts: 454 | Location: Russell (way upstate), NY - USA | Registered: 11 July 2003Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Revolver cases are famous for mouth splits. The belling/crimping cycle is real hard on them.
Annealing would help, but is it worth the trouble.

Trim them back to 44spl length and work up a nice mild plinking load in them.

Posts: 2124 | Location: Whittemore, MI, USA | Registered: 07 March 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
I have only had one or two split .44's over the years and they have only been tiny ones at the crimp edge. I have that exact same load in a box that are at least 20 years old so I checked them. They are still fine. I can't explain it.
What brass do you have?

Posts: 4068 | Location: Bakerton, WV | Registered: 01 September 2003Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
The brass is mostly WW, but there are Speer.

The only ones that split were WW.

I don't know how many times this particular batch has been reloaded, so, maybe it's time to ditch them.
Scrap brass prices are high now.
So, these might just be added to my bucket.

Thanks for your inputs guys.

One of Us
posted Hide Post
I have shot some 44's that were loaded 30 to 40 years ago by my Grandfather and hadno problems with split necks. I havehad many split necks butalways felt that it was due to workhardening during reloading.

Posts: 40 | Location: Maine | Registered: 04 June 2007Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
I have several rounds of 0 - 35 years of loaded 44 mag rounds . Some lead some jacketed IMR 4227 W 296 as well as other powders . Remington Winchester and Starline as well as other cases .

I can't find any of mine that have split cases !.
Newbe John 391 is on target; Toss the cases after firing them . It's not worth time or trouble to anneal pistol cases especially straight wall cases .

More than likely had hair line cracks from work harding before they were reloaded the last time !.

I have .380 loads that look perfect brass is nice clean not max loads either . They have cracked after firing !. So if loaded rounds set for a length of time , they can and will crack upon firing them !!.

Old high wall shotgun shells are notorious for that also ... salute

Posts: 1738 | Location: Southern Calif. | Registered: 08 April 2006Reply With Quote