New
Find
Notify
Tools

Cheap varmint bullets?
 Login/Join

one of us
posted
I have been using the 75gr Amax in a .223AI for coyotes and I need to find a more explosive bullet to shoot in bulk for squirrels. What results has anyone had with the Barnes Varminator, Cabela "dogbuster" or Winchester bulk (I think it is a 46gr)? Thanks for any information.

Posts: 107 | Location: Brentwood, CA, USA | Registered: 08 February 2001Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Haven't used either of the first two, but Winchester bulk bullets have been extremely inconsistent for me (as have Remingtons, which are even worse). The 55 grain Winchester SP's I tried wouldn't group in anything I owned or in a good friend's guns (more than a half dozen rifles tried). On the other hand, I get good accuracy from the Winchester bulk 55 FMJ, which I load for turkey hunting.

Not as cheap, but much more economical than many bullets are the 50 grain Speer TNT. These are extremely accurate in my guns and are super explosive. Velocities in a .223 AI should be about the top speed acceptable with these bullets.

[ 07-04-2003, 20:16: Message edited by: Stonecreek ]

Posts: 13245 | Location: Henly, TX, USA | Registered: 04 April 2001Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
The Winchester (and Remington) 55SP bulk bullets have been quite good for me. I use the Winchester
s because they're marginally more accurate in my RRA 16" flattop. They work well on Prairie Dogs, pretty much taking them apart. The FMJ bullets don't work so well. Different rifle, different results.

If the bulk bullets work for you, you can't beat the price.

Posts: 30 | Location: Colorado | Registered: 16 January 2003Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
I've had excellent results with Rem 50gr hollow points both in 222 and 223, great accuracy and just as devastating as any of the plastic tipped offerings.

Posts: 8169 | Location: humboldt | Registered: 10 April 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of Scout Master 54
posted Hide Post
Midway's Dogtown 55g SP's have worked very well in my .222

Scout Master 54

Posts: 332 | Location: Western CT | Registered: 10 June 2003Reply With Quote