Find
Notify
Tools

Please help w/ some QUICKLOAD #s
 Login/Join

one of us
Picture of Gonzo FreakPower
posted
I've been reloading for a while without a chrony and would like to get a better sense of muzzle velocity for a few loads. I'd realy appreciate if someone could plug in a few of these into QUICKLOAD for me:

All with an A-bolt, 24" barrel, 300WinMag.

LOAD #1
168gr Sierra MatchKing
73gr RL-22
WLRM primer
3.340" OAL

LOAD #2
130gr Hornady Soft Point
45gr H4895
WLR Primer
3.250" OAL

Please let me know if i have not provided enough information. I have "Point Blank" at home so i should be able to calculate downrange performance once i have a muzzle velocity. Thanks.

Posts: 557 | Location: Various... | Registered: 29 December 2002Reply With Quote
<Big Stick>
posted
I get 2941 fps via the first recipe with the 168 and at 49K psi.

Load two yields 2355fps at 23K psi...............

one of us
posted Hide Post
Big Stick,

Thanks for running that. One question though: does 49K psi seem a little low with this recipe? I thought a 300WinMag was one of those often-cursed "high pressure" cartridges. If it's not, please excuse my igorance. I'm happy with 2941fps.

If it isn't too much trouble, I forgot about another load I should have asked about:

190gr Sierra MatchKing
71gr RL-22
WLRM Primer
3.340" OAL

Thanks again. Now I can go home and play with Point Blank some more.

Posts: 557 | Location: Various... | Registered: 29 December 2002Reply With Quote
<Big Stick>
posted
That is a pretty sedate load,at 49K psi. For conversation,I shoot 70grs of Re-22 in my 300WSM with 175MK's(moly),they eclipse the 3000fps barrier outta a 24" tube.

The 300Winny is like anything else and can operate at any sane pressure level. Some Factory fodder is warmer than others,but to say that the 300Win in particular,is a "high intensity" chambering would be a misnomer IMHO.

Your 190MK load makes 2851fps at 53K psi. I'd label it a moderate load too,though that is subjective.....................

one of us
posted Hide Post
Big Stick,

SWEET [Smile]

I figured the MK loads were pretty mild. Best accuracy was with these loads, they were at the lower end of my load work-up scales. For Match bullets that doesn't bug me. I'll take the sub 1/2" groups.

I'll be playing with some serious hunting bullets as well, for those i'll be trading some of the gilt edge accuracy for horsepower.

Thanks a TON for running these numbers. Once my collection expands i'll have to get quickload for myself.

<Big Stick>
posted
Happy to help and though initially a skeptic,I find QL a most versatile tool,that is beyond worthy.

It nips much in the buds and in rapid fashion......................