New
Find
Notify
Tools

30-338:The go to rifle!
 Login/Join

one of us
posted
I mentioned in my post about getting ready for my safari that my 308 wasn't shooting like I'd like it to shoot. I decided to go to my "go to rifle", ie, the one that can be counted on to deliver in a pinch. Mine is a custom 30-338 built on a M70 control feed action. It has the bottom metal out of a Super Grade, but is stocked with the Winchester syn stock on which I shortened the pull about 3/4". The barrel is 26" long,but it has a barrel band on it to keep it from sticking up higher than the point on my head when moving thru the bush.

I just got it back from my gunsmith after he had to rechamber it following my handing my brother a 30-06 round to fire in it. (I posted this "dumb thing I've done" about a year ago. It really was a mess. Fortunately, noone was hurt, my brother still talks to me, and he does not have a permanent flinch.) We never could figure out exactly what was going on with it after the episode, but it just wasn't right. Eventually, the barrel was pulled; the was shortened slightly, and rechambered.

I loaded up some WW once fired cases with 71.3grs of H4831sc. Carefully measure the distance to the rifling, and seated a 180 Nosler Partition about 2/1000 off the rifling. Primed it with WW WLMR primers. This load is not as acc as my previous 180BT load. It shot a three inch group at 100yds, 200yds, and 300yds. (Several groups were shot at each distance. The groups were all three inches.) Velocity was 170fps faster than my previous load. The only change, other than bullet, from my 180BT load was primer. I used FC 215Match with the BT load.

Velocity was 3159fps. Friends this is flying. Bolt was easy to lift. Extraction was easy. No primer problems.

For those of you with a ballistic's program, this load essentially shoots 2.5"high at 100dys; 2.5"high at 200yds; and -2.5"low at 300yds. In sum, you put the pipper on the target and squeeze. Energy at 300yds is 2500ft#'s. This is a real "clean up" hitter. I wonder why I bother with anything else, but then where is the fun in that. Ku-dude

one of us
posted Hide Post
Did you mean 3-shot groups rather than 3" groups? What do you attribute the increase in velocity to? Was it the same load used as before? You're right, that is flying for a 180gr Nosler Partition.

Posts: 4360 | Location: Sunny Southern California | Registered: 22 May 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
I agree the 30-338 is one of the best, most overlooked cartridges out there. I just got some 180 Noslers and will be trying your loads (working up safely of course). I hadn't tried the 4831sc powder. Does it drop through the uniflow better than the long kernal. I always seem to hang up on the upswing of the handle.
Frank

Posts: 6935 | Location: hydesville, ca. , USA | Registered: 17 March 2001Reply With Quote
<MontanaMarine>
posted
Great performance. I'm a believer in 26" barrels. My .308, 30-06, and .338 all wear them.

Is the 30-338 dimensionally equal to the .308 Norma Mag?? I'm thinking it is.

MM

one of us
posted Hide Post
I used a 30-338 for several years and it's a fine cartridge and very economical to shoot and easy to load..It is what the 300 Win. should have been according to many and I agree with that, but its not a biggie...I have since gone back to the 300 H&H as I have a preference for 200 and 220 gr. bullets.

The 30-338 is basically a 308 Norma Magnum, but with a wee bit more case capacity and they are not interchangeable..

------------------
Ray Atkinson

ray@atkinsonhunting.com
atkinsonhunting.com

Posts: 41985 | Location: Twin Falls, Idaho | Registered: 04 June 2000Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Ray answered the tough questions. Correctly! Thanks, Ray.

No, DB, I meant three inch groups at all three distances. Go figure. I am certain some of it is operator error (after watching the parts fly everywhere, it is difficult to get snuggled in, don't you know?). I also suspect that at 100 and perhaps 200 the bullet has not settled in.

Regarding the increase in velocity, I called my gunsmith today and talked with him about it. It maybe a difference in primers (215M v. WLMR). It maybe a slightly shallower seating depth (less than a 1/100th of an inch though). It maybe a combination of those two factors and environmental factors such as temperature. (However, most of my testing is done in the spring and summer when our temps are 90F+.)

I know that I'd settle for 3100fps and 2"groups at all three distances. I will probably drop the load by at least the .3grs and see if the groups don't tighten up some. I noticed that my groups tightened up over the session. (100yds were fired first. 300yds last.)

This rifle was shooting one hole groups at 100, and gloverleafs at 200. It has shoot groups under 1/2MOA at 300. I hope that it will go back there. However, they were shot with Nosler BT's, and the partition is not quite as accurate. I figure half the problem is that alone.

I've got to help my wife with the groceries. Caio! Ku-dude

[This message has been edited by Ku-dude (edited 04-28-2002).]

one of us
posted Hide Post
I just saw a .30-338 at a local gun show, something like $375.00 I think. It had a cheap scope on it, but there were no dies. It did have a CRF bolt of some kind.

Posts: 2448 | Location: Alaska | Registered: 25 May 2002Reply With Quote
<confused>
posted
First of all im new and new to reloading and gunsmithing in general.

Am I right in my assumption that the 30-338 is simply a necked down 338.

one of us
posted Hide Post
Right!

Posts: 4360 | Location: Sunny Southern California | Registered: 22 May 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
I'm not exactly sure what Ray meant in that they're not interchangeable (further info if you would be so kind) but I own a 308 Norma and every single load has been prep'd by simply necking down WW 338 Win cases and firing away. Perhaps you're talking the other "direction."

I agree though that the caliber is wonderful as it seems very forgiving.

On another note, I think ~71gr of H4831SC (for the 308 Norma anyway) is a bit on the light side based on my experience to date. I usually land somewhere between 72 and 74 grains of powder. Because I don't tend to shoot this particular rifle at high volumes (it's my deer rifle mainly) I weigh each and every round. I would agree that bridging can be a problem with this powder.

That's all that comes to mind.

Reed

Posts: 649 | Location: Iowa | Registered: 29 August 2001Reply With Quote
<Phil R>
posted
Ku-Dude,
My .30/.338 is a Ruger #77 with a stainless, Pac-Nor 24" lightweight sporter barrel. The powder of choice for this caliber seems to be H4831, but my rifle doesn't know that. I get a sticky bolt at 72gr. with Fed 215 and 180 Partitions...velocity 2,920fps. My best powder is IMR4350 with Fed 215 primers.With 71gr. and 180gr Partition bullets,I get 3,106fps average and 1" or better groups
with no pressure signs. Just put together my spring bear load with Northfork 180gr bullets and 66gr. of IMR4350 for 2,970fps and extremely accurate. Not max., but pleasant to shoot and all that's necessary. It's a great caliber!

Reed,
The .308 Norma case is slightly longer than the .30/.338, and won't chamber in the .30/.338.
------------------
Phil- Life Member NRA & SCI

[This message has been edited by Phil R (edited 04-29-2002).]