Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Surplus powder in 416 Rigby
 Login/Join

posted
I noticed that GIBrass.con has some very cheap surplus powder, WC860, which uses AA8700 data. At $40/8lbs., that sounds like one heak of a great deal!! Especially for reloading cartridges like my 416 Rigby with over 100 grains of powder.. Does anyone reload a Big Bore with WC860? Any thoughts, comments, concerns???

CP

One of Us
posted Hide Post
As an FYI, ref GIbrass.com powders, I just worked up some loads with GIbrass's WC 846 and 235 grain bullets in my 375 H&H, to supplement my standard IMR 4895 loads, more for a practice round and curiosity to see what WC 846 would do as it performs well in my service rifles.

Using BLC2 data as per their recommendation found an decent load that went under 1.5 inches at 100 yards off the bench last week, when I did my job. Load was clean burning. I started 10% under the BLC2 data and settled 2 grains over the start point. Measured case expansion, noted primer appearance, ease of extraction etc and found a decent practice load.

Botomline, start low, work up slowly and check accuracy.

hth

Posts: 395 | Location: West Coast | Registered: 09 April 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
I have used surplus IMR5010 and it works ok, I got 2300 fps with 110 grs and a 400 gr Hornady. I have a jug of wc860 but have not tried it. It should work as long as you keep the case full. Both powders tend to leave a fair amount of residue.
C.G.B.

posted Hide Post
Thanks for the info. I did order some of the powder from GIBrass (along with some #105 for pistols!)