New
Find
Notify
Tools

Forming 300 Savage brass from...???
 Login/Join

one of us
posted
Can I form 300 Sav cases from 30-06 brass and/or 308 Win brass????

I've never formed cases before. In this case, is it just a matter of running them through a full length sizing die and trimming to length? Do I need special dies or will a standard 2 die set do the job?

Posts: 1210 | Location: Zurich | Registered: 02 January 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
You should have no problems forming. 308 might be your best bet because you won't have to do as much trimming.

I miss hunting in B.C.

Posts: 84 | Location: Nova Scotia, Canada | Registered: 28 October 2004Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Another question. I have a 308 rifle. Is it possible to chamber a 300 sav round in a 308 chamber or vice versa (this obviously to be avoided)? I was thinking to use 30-06 brass as there's be no chance I'd mix it up by mistake.

One of Us
Picture of BigRx
posted Hide Post
Stu C,

.300 Sav. should form OK with the full length die using .308 brass because the shoulder start is close to the same length and you will mostly form the increased angle (sharper shoulder)of the .300; then trim to length. Case capacity will probably be less requiring load adjustment.

Midway USA gets Winchester .300 Savage brass in on a seasonal run. They're out now but you can watch for a delivery. Stock # 671510

BigRx

Posts: 208 | Location: Idaho Rockies | Registered: 25 December 2004Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
If you need some 300 savage brass email me I know where I can pick some up for you (winchester) for about $23 a bag.

kenlaub@earthlink.net

Posts: 496 | Location: ME | Registered: 08 May 2003Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Why form when it is available off the shelf.
Unless you have an overabundance of 308 brass.

http://www.cliffsgunsmithing.com/Catalog_Win_Brass2.htm

I have it in stock all the time.

-Spencer

one of us
posted Hide Post
Spencer,
Do you ship overseas? Many places in the US won't anymore. In addition I supposedly need an import permit for it.

But, I can walk into any gunshop and buy 308 or 30/06 brass at a halfway decent price. If I decide to get a rifle in 300 Sav I want to make sure I don't have to rely on the whims of international posting rules to keep it fed. Hence my question about forming cases.

Hope that explains my motivation behind this post. Wink
- Stu

one of us
posted Hide Post
Stu, forming the brass is the easy part. You may find that if you form brass from 30-06 that the neck will be too thick and will need reaming. If you form it from 308 you'll likely have no problem. I have formed 308 from 30-06 brass and most time the necks needed reaming. I have formed 250 savage from 243 and 22-250 brass and had no problems. I do recommend anealing the brass first however. Regards, Woody

Bring a kid along.

Posts: 98 | Location: S.E. Oregon too close to PRK | Registered: 28 August 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Ralph Hyrlik
posted Hide Post
Reaming is much easier than forming Smiler

one of us
posted Hide Post
Reaming takes more equipment. I just formed 300 Sav. from Remington 308. No problem just using the FL size die. I did take out the decapper first, then put it back after trimming for final forming. Case works fine in my early 1950's Savage 99 using either jacketed or .310 dia. cast bullet. A 308 will not chamber in my 300 Savage but yes the 300 Savage chambers easily in a 308. Regards, Woody

Bring a kid along.

Posts: 98 | Location: S.E. Oregon too close to PRK | Registered: 28 August 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Ralph Hyrlik
posted Hide Post
I know, I'm just defending my decision to get the reamer Wink