New
Find
Notify
Tools

Shell holders
 Login/Join

one of us
posted
Guys Help a dumbass out, Please. I have just started and I'm all set to go, when I find out I need a shell holder. I have a Lee classic cast press, Do I get the same shell holder for the Lee auto prime or are they different shell holders? Yes I feel like a dumbass. I got everything set up and ready, I was reading the instructions ready to mount the press, and it says install shell holder, DUH, I forgot the shell holder. Thanks Guys. Chain ( DUMBASS)

Windage and elevation, Mrs. Langdon, windage and elevation...

Posts: 944 | Location: michigan | Registered: 16 December 2004Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of Fjold
posted Hide Post
The auto prime uses a different shell holder than the press. The bottom where the shell holder locks into the press ram is missing on the one that goes in the autoprime. The number size should be the same but order it as a shell holder for the press.

Frank

"I don't know what there is about buffalo that frightens me so.....He looks like he hates you personally. He looks like you owe him money."
- Robert Ruark, Horn of the Hunter, 1953

NRA Life, SAF Life, CRPA Life, DRSS lite

Posts: 12695 | Location: Kentucky, USA | Registered: 30 December 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
And just for future reference, if you've bought all Lee shell-holders, don't bother with a Hornady case trimmer, they won't allow the stud to fit through the hole in the centre!
Cheers...
Con

Posts: 2198 | Location: Australia | Registered: 24 August 2001Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
If you are set up to reload with your new equipment and have a set of Lee dies, the shellholder ought to be included as part of the die set. I bought the Lee shellholder kit to use with my RCBS hand primer (the Lee hand primer uses different Lee shellholders) and they also work in my RCBS Rockchucker Supreme press. Also, don't be so hard on yourself for overlooking something during your start-up at reloading. You will quickly get the hang of it. This is an excellent site for info and help. Good luck.

Success is 99% determination.

Posts: 69 | Location: East TX | Registered: 16 November 2004Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Big Grin

Chain,

There's no such thing as a stupid question - just sometimes you get dumb answers.

I wish there was Internet & e-mail when I got sent up in reloading almost 4 decades ago......yeah, I'm a chronolically challenged person - I just keep getting, well

bewildered older..... bewildered

The info you already recieved is correct, the Auto Prime uses Shell Plates as opposed to Shell Holders. For the vast majority of the presses available today, they're sharing the same concept and shell holder sizes but (of course standaridization has it's limits.....) the specific shell Holder #'s are all wacky, an RCBS #3 isn't a Lee #xx and so on and so forth with Redding, Forster, Lyman, etc.

Since you've got a Lee Press; one of the best bargains on the market today is Lee's Universal Shell Holder Set. For the price of three/four separate single shell holders you can purchase a complete set from Lee with pretty much all the shell holders you will ever require in one nice nifty little green plastic package. It has 12 spaces and you get 11 shell holders, I forget which additional single one completes the set (I think it is the one for the PPC case head size?), net if you do this you will have virtually 98% of the shell holders a normal (are we normal?) reloader will normally ever require.

Good Luck loading your own ammo and if you have further reloading challenges, this is the forum to get your issues resolved.

Cheers,

Gerry

Cheers,

Number 10

Posts: 3433 | Location: Frankfurt, Germany | Registered: 23 December 2004Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
The only dumb question is the one that doesn't get asked! Sometimes you might get a dumb answer but don't worry a bit about asking the questions, in fact, the more the merrier! We all learn from questions you and everyone else ask, especially me Wink

Rick

Posts: 178 | Location: North Alabama | Registered: 15 June 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of bm-3
posted Hide Post
For me, the truth is, you will always learn something new as a reloader even after 15 years.

Posts: 86 | Location: Idaho, Boise. | Registered: 20 March 2005Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Thanks alot Guys. I was so ready to get started. I ordered shell holders today. Should be shooting by next week end. Thanks again for all the help. Chain

Windage and elevation, Mrs. Langdon, windage and elevation...

Posts: 944 | Location: michigan | Registered: 16 December 2004Reply With Quote