New
Find
Notify
Tools

Reloading question - 9.3x74R
 Login/Join

One of Us
posted
After a long time-out I'm loading for my 9.3x74R DR again. I put that gun away about 10 months ago and have just dusted it off.

Here's my question - the empty brass takes about 66grains but I have push the bullet in hard and pack the powder in order to get the recommended COL. The manual says I can go up to 68 grains but I could never seat a bullet with that much powder in the case.

What gives? Is it OK to compress the powder to seat the bullet far enough?

I reload for my .300 WinMag and my 9.3 and that's about it - not a lot of experience.

Oxon

One of Us
posted Hide Post
You didn't state which powder you are using, but basically, going to the next step faster burning powder with a lighter charge would be the direction to go.

If you are using Varget/RL15/IMR4064 powders, the next step down is H4895, or IMR4895.

I had the same problem with my .375H&H. I couldn't get the volume of powder, H4350, in my case that was the supposed golden load. I went with IMR4064 and had plenty of room, good velocity and good accuracy as well.

Posts: 132 | Location: Huntertown,Indiana | Registered: 11 May 2007Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Thanks for your reply. I am using 286 gr bullets and I am using H4831 or H4831SC - it doesn't seem to matter. What is curious is that the Hodgdon manual lists weights of this powder that simply cannot fit into the case.

H4895 or IME 4895 are not listed in the Hodgdon manual for this weight bullet and being relatively new to all this I want to stick with recommended powders.

Thanks again!

Oxon

one of us
Picture of Andre Mertens
posted Hide Post
Sure you can get 68.0 g of 4831 into a 9,3x74R case and I do it all the time. Of course, the powder will be heavily compressed. The 1st time I did, the cracking sound made me think I had broken my bench. No other problem though, and both my bbls. shoot this load behind a Norma 285 bullet into one hole at 50 m.

André
DRSS
---------

3 shots do not make a group, they show a point of aim or impact.
5 shots are a group.

Posts: 2420 | Location: Belgium | Registered: 25 August 2001Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
You might take a page from the BPCRS shooters' book and use a looooong drop tube and/or a vibratory settling technique.
Regards, Joe

Posts: 2756 | Location: deep South | Registered: 09 December 2008Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Thanks, guys. I just felt uncomfortable compressing the powder all that much - don't know why but it seemed like a lot. I tried "tickling" the filled case but the powder didn't seem to settle much. I will go and try again and just pack the sucker in!

Oxon

One of Us
posted Hide Post
Since you are using the 4831's, the next step faster would be to one of the 4350's, or RL19. H414 is also in that burn rate range and would definitely fit since it is a ball powder.

Posts: 132 | Location: Huntertown,Indiana | Registered: 11 May 2007Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Dave Bush
posted Hide Post
You just need to change your powder. I would try H4350 first. If you want, I can give you Ramshot load data using Big Game. It is a ball powder. You will have no compression problems.

Dave
DRSS
Chapuis 9.3X74
Chapuis "Jungle" .375 FL
Krieghoff 500/.416 NE
Krieghoff 500 NE

"Git as close as y can laddie an then git ten yards closer"

"If the biggest, baddest animals on the planet are on the menu, and you'd rather pay a taxidermist than a mortician, consider the 500 NE as the last word in life insurance." Hornady Handbook of Cartridge Reloading (8th Edition).

Posts: 3728 | Location: Midwest | Registered: 26 November 2006Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Dave thank you - I would appreciate the load data - is it available online?

Last night I loaded up some 68gr loads with H4831SC and just compressed them. Will try them this week.

I've not loaded with H4350 - I have some on hand and the Hodgdon manual gives a range. I'll work with that powder as well.

Thank you all again - sometimes I just need a bit of hand-holding - super-cautious, I guess!

Oxon

one of us
posted Hide Post
Oxon,

Hey Bud, try:

61.0 grs. H-4350 with a 286 grainer, Hornady, Nosler, PMP, whatever.

64.0 grs. with a 250 gr. Nosler Accubond.
You don't have to with this powder but I always give the cases a couple second hold on the top of the vibrating Case Cleaner to settle the powder.

Cheers,

Number 10

Posts: 3433 | Location: Frankfurt, Germany | Registered: 23 December 2004Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Dave Bush
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Oxon:
Dave thank you - I would appreciate the load data - is it available online?

Last night I loaded up some 68gr loads with H4831SC and just compressed them. Will try them this week.

I've not loaded with H4350 - I have some on hand and the Hodgdon manual gives a range. I'll work with that powder as well.

Thank you all again - sometimes I just need a bit of hand-holding - super-cautious, I guess!

The Hodgdon data is available online. Are you shooting a double or a Ruger No.1? I have used Reloder 15 in my double but I plan to switch to H4350. It fills the case a little better but the load in a double depends on what regulates. It you are shooting a No1, I can give you the Ramshot data for max velocity with no compression.

Dave
DRSS
Chapuis 9.3X74
Chapuis "Jungle" .375 FL
Krieghoff 500/.416 NE
Krieghoff 500 NE

"If the biggest, baddest animals on the planet are on the menu, and you'd rather pay a taxidermist than a mortician, consider the 500 NE as the last word in life insurance." Hornady Handbook of Cartridge Reloading (8th Edition).

One of Us
posted Hide Post
Dave - I'm shooting a Chapuis 9.3x74DR (my first DR) or at least trying to shoot it - we've had so much rain the road up to the range is a bog.

I have the H4350 powder and have the Hodgdon load downloads. The rifle is regulated for 285 gr bullets.

What I'll do is see how the compressed 68 gr H4832SC works and then try some 4350.

Thanks - I appreciate the help!

Oxon

One of Us
Picture of Dave Bush
posted Hide Post
Oxon, I have the same gun. I will send you they loads I have developed so far and the information I got from Graeme Wright's book later this morning.

Dave
DRSS
Chapuis 9.3X74
Chapuis "Jungle" .375 FL
Krieghoff 500/.416 NE
Krieghoff 500 NE

One of Us
Picture of Dave Bush
posted Hide Post
Oxon:

According to the 3rd edition of Graeme Wright's book, Shooting the British Double Rifle, the 9.3X74 they used with a 23.6 inch barrel regulated with 63-65 grains of H4350 with a 286 grain Woodleigh RN SN.

H4350
63 grains 2240 fps
64 grains 2270 fps
65 grains 2280 fps

If you use H4350, I would start with the 63 grain load but that may still be compressed load.

Grame also gives a load using 57 grains of Reloder 15 at 2250 fps. That's the load that I used. It regulated perfectly in my Chapuis with the 286 Woodleigh. It is not a compressed load. All of Graeme's load data uses a standard Winchester large rifle primer in an RWS case. I am using the Winchester large rifle primer but in a Hornady case.

Here is the load data that I got from Johan Loubser at Ramshot Powder:

Dave,
We suggest the following.
Caliber:      9.3x74R.
Barrel length:     24”
Powder:          Ramshot – BIG GAME®.
Bullet weight:   286-293 grains.
Start load: 53.0grains (2075 – 2175 Ft/p/sec)
Maximum load: 59.0 grains (2300 – 2400 Ft/p/sec).

Powder:          Accurate -- 4064®.
Bullet weight: 286 grains.
Start load: 52.0 grains (2100 – 2200 ft/p/sec)
Maximum load: 56.5 grains (2300 – 2400 Ft/p/sec).

With a 286 grain Hornady, My rifle regulated with 56 grains of Big Game. Again, this in not a compressed load. I have not tried Accurate 4064.

Where are you in Nebraska? I am in Grand Island.

Dave
DRSS
Chapuis 9.3X74
Chapuis "Jungle" .375 FL
Krieghoff 500/.416 NE
Krieghoff 500 NE

One of Us
posted Hide Post
Hi Dave - many thankx for continuing advice.

This AM I shot between 63 and 65 gr H4350. Nothing consistent and I'm wondering if CCi200 primers are wrong. The CCI200s are called for in the Hodgdon manual.

This is very vexing.

Think I should persevere with different loads or perhaps try CCI250 primers?

By the way, in my case NE= New England. I'm in Vermont, a land without pheasant.

All hte best

Oxon

one of us
posted Hide Post
Anyone else try the Grame RL-15 load with Nosler partitions in 9,3x74R?

Would be very interested in the results!

Mike

--------------
DRSS, Womper's Club, NRA Life Member/Charter Member NRA Golden Eagles ...
Knifemaker, http://www.mstarling.com

Posts: 6199 | Location: Charleston, WV | Registered: 31 August 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of packrattusnongratus
posted Hide Post
Did you shoot this weekend? I load for the 9.3 X 74 too. Packy