New
Find
Notify
Tools

.38-55 shell cases
 Login/Join

<Win94>
posted
Fellas, is thier any other cases out their i could use to reload .38-55 other than .375? My range always has gobs of other calibers in the garbage but both .38-55 and .375 are rare to come across.

one of us
Picture of Hobie
posted Hide Post
You can blow out the .30-30. That is probably the most common case you find, right?

Because the necks get more brittle with use, you'll probably have the most success with once fired cases. These cases used to be shorter than factory .38-55 but now that factory .38-55 has a shorter case, I'm not quite sure of the actual measurement of the difference. In any case (pun intended), the slight difference is of no importance (you have been using .375 cases already).

I have to add that: I use factory cases exclusively as they are easy to come by and correctly headstamped.

[ 05-07-2003, 20:42: Message edited by: Hobie ]

Posts: 2324 | Location: Staunton, VA | Registered: 05 September 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Mark ,
38-55 brass is longer than 30-30 cases . the new cases I have purchased lately are still longer than 30-30 / .375 cases . They are available and if loaded to low pressure will last a very long time . I have tried to blow out 30-30 cases "I also have a 375 Win. " are not worth the effort . buy new 38-55 cases and have fun.

Posts: 280 | Location: SARASOTA , FL. | Registered: 28 February 2001Reply With Quote
Picture of jeffeosso
posted Hide Post
while not easy to come buy, i think you can start with 356 winchester (35x307)
jeffe

Posts: 39557 | Location: Conroe, TX | Registered: 01 June 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Mark, I believe that 38-55 is one of the "seasonal" calibers that Winchester runs off every year (usually in the spring). So we should be due pretty quick. Seems to me Midway had a bunch a little while ago, and if you check locally, P & D over on 115th street usually gets some of the odd ball stuff in, as does Pud out in Bashaw. As a matter of fact, I think I saw some 38-55 cases the last time I was Pud's shop. Try giving him a call 780-372-4440. - Dan

Posts: 5285 | Location: Alberta | Registered: 05 October 2001Reply With Quote
<Dan in Wa>
posted
I have made alot of .38/55 brass from .30/30 cases just to see if it could be done succesfully.Works fine and as stated are a litte short, but work fine. There is a method to do this, but it's not hard and succes rate so far has been 100%. You must fireform and square case necks. Works for me.

one of us
posted Hide Post
Just go to Star-Line and buy thier brass it will last a long time, before they came around I used 30-30, and 32-40 brass

Posts: 1529 | Location: Tidewater,Virginia | Registered: 12 August 2002Reply With Quote