Notify
Tools

Woodleigh on Bluewildebeest
 Login/Join

One of Us
Picture of Johanv
posted
Hi Guys,

Thought I'll share a pic of the bullet used over the weekend on a Blue wildebeest, recovered under the skin on the shoulder. 250gr Woodleigh PPSN @ 2500 ft/s MuzzleV, target @ 140Y. Broadside through the scapula, top of heart destroyed.

Weight retained 237gr= 95% and almost 3x caliber expansion.

Wildebeest dropped after 15y.

Cheers
Johan
[URL= ]250gr Woodleigh PPSN[/URL]

Posts: 160 | Location: Johannesburg- South Africa | Registered: 27 November 2006Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Rusty
posted Hide Post
I'd say, "Hell, yeah!"

Rusty
We Band of Brothers!
DRSS, NRA & SCI Life Member

"I am rejoiced at my fate. Do not be uneasy about me, for I am with my friends."
----- David Crockett in his last letter (to his children), January 9th, 1836
"I will never forsake Texas and her cause. I am her son." ----- Jose Antonio Navarro, from Mexican Prison in 1841
"for I have sworn upon the altar of god eternal hostility against every form of tyranny over the mind of man." Thomas Jefferson
Declaration of Arbroath April 6, 1320-“. . .It is not for glory, nor riches, nor honours that we are fighting, but for freedom - for that alone, which no honest man gives up but with life itself.”

Posts: 9797 | Location: Missouri City, Texas | Registered: 21 June 2000Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Looks and sounds like it worked the way you wanted it to.

Posts: 4214 | Location: Southern Colorado | Registered: 09 October 2011Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of hivelosity
posted Hide Post
Did its job and then some.
Are thy any good to eat, the beast that is.
Dave

Posts: 2134 | Location: Ohio | Registered: 26 June 2000Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of graybird
posted Hide Post
Looks like an old school baseball glove!

Graybird

"Make no mistake, it's not revenge he's after ... it's the reckoning."

Posts: 3722 | Location: Okie in Falcon, CO | Registered: 01 July 2004Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Johanv
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by hivelosity:
Did its job and then some.
Are thy any good to eat, the beast that is.
Dave

Great for biltong (meat cured by salting and drying) similar to your jerky and Dried wors (Dried sausage). Steaks not to bad either!

Cheers
Johan

Posts: 160 | Location: Johannesburg- South Africa | Registered: 27 November 2006Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of BigNate
posted Hide Post
I've only recovered two but they both looked similar. I like the Woodleigh Weldcore PP a lot and think it is only equaled by a Northfork. Nosler Partitions are close and cheaper.

Posts: 2376 | Location: Idaho Panhandle | Registered: 27 November 2001Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Great bullets the Woodleigh.
Has become my favourite in both 35 Whelen and 308 Winchester.

I also used Woodleigh (250 grs RN) in my 338 Winmag in South Africa in 2008 and dug this one out of a waterbuck, 83 % weight retention.
One of the few I actually have recovered.

Arild Iversen.

Posts: 1880 | Location: Southern Coast of Norway. | Registered: 02 June 2000Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Johanv
posted Hide Post

This was the animal taken
Cheers
Johan

one of us
posted Hide Post
Used them on most plainsgame as well as buffalo, Hippo, and Lion...I cannot imagine a better bullet, perhaps some are as good since todays bullets are the best in my long lifetime.

I have also used them on deer and Elk and bison on this side of the pond..

Never had one fail in any manor, sure some have probably failed like any other bullet but I have had only 3 bullet failures since about the Late 1940 or early 1950s and those failures were with a very popular bullet only a couple of years ago and all three failures were with the same bullet and same caliber out of the same box, and it was not a Woodleigh.

Got to hand it to todays bullet makers, they got it down right..Didn't use to be that way.

Ray Atkinson
Atkinson Hunting Adventures
10 Ward Lane,
Filer, Idaho, 83328
208-731-4120

rayatkinsonhunting@gmail.com

Posts: 42158 | Location: Twin Falls, Idaho | Registered: 04 June 2000Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Bren7X64
posted Hide Post
What calibre, Johan?

I could make a few guesses, but ....

--
Promise me, when I die, don't let my wife sell my guns for what I told I her I paid for them.

Posts: 1048 | Location: Canberra, Australia | Registered: 03 August 2012Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Dom
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Bren7X64:
What calibre, Johan?

I could make a few guesses, but ....

I'm also curious, and will take a first guess @ 9,3x62 Smiler

-------- There are those who only reload so they can shoot, and then there are those who only shoot so they can reload. I belong to the first group. Dom ---------

Posts: 728 | Location: Michigan | Registered: 15 March 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Johanv
posted Hide Post
338 winmag, I love this caliber. Yet to find any ammo Factory or handload to shoot more than MOA. These woodleighs are 1/2" at 100Y

Cheers
Johan