Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Need help! new to reloading
 Login/Join

posted
Im brand new to reloading and i just got a RCBS kit from cabelas and all the cleaning stuff and all the other goodies i need, i plan on reloading the 480 Ruger cartridge, I have all the reloading things i need to reload it I just dont really know the right steps to reload, I know i should have waited until i got some experience or read up on reloading before i bought everything but I just couldnt wait anymore, so any help is appreciated, Thanks,

Alex S.

one of us
posted Hide Post
Your RCBS Kit should have come with the Speer #13 Manual. Start at the beginning and read the how to's of reloading. Also read the instuctions that came with your press, dies, trimmer, calipers etc. It will take some time but, it is a must. Once you have read all that good stuff, read it again, then you should have a handle on how and where to start. Asking questions here is also a great place to get help. To get the most out of a forum post your questions should be pretty specific. There are a lot of very experienced and helpful guys on this forum and they have helped me a bunch. But, first you should read the info you have so you can better understand what to ask and more important being able to understand the terminoligy etc. you will get here.

Good Luck, and enjoy your new hobby (obsession).

Posts: 1205 | Location: Minnesota | Registered: 07 February 2004Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
You're telling me that Cabelas don't sell load books anymore? Amazing!

Posts: 4799 | Location: Lehigh county, PA | Registered: 17 October 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of fredj338
posted Hide Post
What steve siad. There should also be some instuctions w/ your dies. Go to the RCBS web site, there is a short basic tutorial there.
1) inspect your cases, I chamfer the mouth inside & out.
2) full length size all cases
3) bell the case mouth enough to start a bullet
4) prime all cases
5) add powder charge, by weight, to each case per a reliable loading manual spec.
6) seat bullet, you can adjust your die to seat & crimp or seat the bullet then crimp in a seperate step.
That's kind of the reader's digest version. Go do some reading, ask more questions, then make a small test batch, maybe 6rds (no sense loading 100 wrong & have to pull them apart), then go try them out. beer

LIFE IS NOT A SPECTATOR'S SPORT!

Posts: 7752 | Location: kalif.,usa | Registered: 08 March 2001Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Rusty Marlin
posted Hide Post
I can not stress this enough.

READ THE BOOK

Then if you still have questions please don't be afraid to ask. There are very few stupid questions, but you have to know what you don't know so you can ask the good ones. To even discuss realoading at this piont would be too daunting, there is just too much to put in a post.
When you have spesific questions like... Do I really have to scrape primer pockets?
or Do you guys acctually measure primer depth on every round? Then come ask.

Good luck, & keep in touch. I have been lurking on this board for months, there are some amazingly educated shooters here.

Rusty's Action Works
Montross VA.
Action work for Cowboy Shooters &
Manufacturer of Stylized Rigby rifle sights. http://i61.photobucket.com/alb.../th_isofrontleft.jpg

Posts: 863 | Location: Northern Neck Va | Registered: 14 December 2005Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Make sure you lube the cases. Make sure you lube the cases. Make sure you lube the cases. I once did not lube a case-- it was not an enjoyable evening...

Where are you, Rusty Marlin?

Posts: 2758 | Location: Fernley, NV-- the center of the shootin', four-wheelin', ATVin' and dirt-bikin' universe | Registered: 28 May 2003Reply With Quote
posted Hide Post
Thanks guys I have alot of reading to catch up on. But I have one more question, I was thinking about using winchester 296 powder once i started reloading. On winchesters website, it said that with heavy loads you have to use a heavy crimp on the bullet. How would i put a heavy crimp on the bullet with a standard die set, or would I have to buy another die?, Thanks again

One of Us
Picture of 454PB
posted Hide Post
Your standard dies will work fine with 296. They are refering to the fact that 296 is a "load density" sensitive powder, can't be reduced more than about 5% from recommended maximum, and requires tight case fit and heavy crimp. You'll learn this as you begin to STUDY.

You cannot discover new oceans unless you have the courage to lose sight of the shore

Posts: 52 | Location: Montana | Registered: 28 November 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Rusty Marlin
posted Hide Post
Rootbeer, I'm in Montross VA. I just moved here this last fall from NH. LOVE IT!

Rusty's Action Works
Montross VA.
Manufacturer of Stylized Rigby rifle sights. http://i61.photobucket.com/alb.../th_isofrontleft.jpg

Posts: 863 | Location: Northern Neck Va | Registered: 14 December 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
ATS;

I would recommend trying to locate someone locally where you live that is already into reloading.....

YOu may be surprised and find that a fellow forum member doesn't live too far away from you... ya never know....

Check at a local rifle range also.... see if they hold reloading classes or have people to help.. or just post a note on their bulletin board....

I don't think anyone mentioned it above... but when you start reloading, avoid the first mistake of reloaders in my opinion... don't try to load your rounds to maximum or look to find out where maximum is....start at the lowest published points and then work up from there....

I think too many guys get into reloading with the attitude of trying to turn a 30/06 into a 300 Weatherby and end up getting hurt... or at the least, screwing up there firearm....

good luck to ya!

cheers
seafire
cheers

Posts: 16144 | Location: Southern Oregon USA | Registered: 04 January 2005Reply With Quote
posted Hide Post
thanks

One of Us
posted Hide Post
Also Lyman makes a very good manual. Sierra at one time used to offer a video. You may be able to find both on Ebay. Oh and get yourself a dial caliper.

Posts: 1679 | Location: Renton, WA. | Registered: 16 December 2005Reply With Quote
posted Hide Post
One more question while were talking about this. I also plan to reload my 270 WSM for deer hunting and such. I was looking into getting a case trimmer but im confused on one thing. All the ones ive looked at have a .27 caliber pilot that you can order with it , would that work on my 270 WSM shorter cases or only the 270 win longer cases? thanks

One of Us
posted Hide Post
ATS...

on the RCBS it will work with either..
if you purchase a Rockchucker press kit, it will have that and all the pilots you need....

Posts: 16144 | Location: Southern Oregon USA | Registered: 04 January 2005Reply With Quote
posted Hide Post
I was looking everywere but I cant find a 475 pilot for any of the case trimmers, does anybody know where I can find one?

one of us
Picture of fredj338
posted Hide Post
What kind of trimmer do you have? Forster will have it or make you one.

LIFE IS NOT A SPECTATOR'S SPORT!

Posts: 7752 | Location: kalif.,usa | Registered: 08 March 2001Reply With Quote
posted Hide Post
I have an RCBS trim mate pro I think thats it. And how will I know how much to trim off the case, does the pilot automatically stop once it gets to the right demensions or what?

One of Us
Picture of Rusty Marlin
posted Hide Post
You havn't read the book yet have you? Wink

You need to measure the case length and compare that to the Trim-to-Length (TTL) value given in the load book. If the TTL isn't given subract .01" from the Max-Case-Length (MCL).

If you don't have one you need to get a caliper of some sort, digital, dial or vernier, but you have to have one to measure the case length accuratly.

I was going to tell you how to set the trimmer up; just read th instructions that came with it.

Rusty's Action Works
Montross VA.

One of Us
posted Hide Post
I'm a beginner also, and recently came across the following info. The National Reloading Manufacturers Association has a link at their site that will allow you to search by zip code for a NRA certified reloading instructor in your area. I found one in my area, but haven't called him yet. I'm still in the reading stages w/ a couple of manuals and am currently building a reloading bench. Good luck w/ your new hobby.

http://www.reload-nrma.com/index.html

One of Us
Picture of Old Elk Hunter
posted Hide Post
One recommendation I always make to a newbie reloader is to get the RCBS collet-type bullet
puller and the appropriate size collets for your
intended ammo. If you make ANY kind of mistake you can easily pull the bullet out of the case without danger or damage to the case or bullet.

Some people are tempted to just shoot their mistakes which can be disasterous, especially when you first start reloading.

RELOAD - ITS FUN!

posted Hide Post
go to a book store and buy The ABC's of RELOADING by C. Rodney James. read it. read some other loading manuals. read the abc's again. read the other loading manuals again. play around with the equipment(decap saved brass, trim brass, measure case length w/calipers...etc). do another quick read of the procedures and then start slow. and remember, be safe! to quote De Niro from the movie "Ronin", "If there is any doubt, there is no doubt." if you're not sure about something, don't do it.

Beware the wrath of a patient man.

Posts: 14 | Location: here and there | Registered: 06 November 2003Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
You should find all the tips posted here in the instructions with the dies and the instructions in your reloading manual. Sierra has a very good manual. There is no need to crimp your rifle bullets unless they are in a magazine tube as in a Model 94 or in a box magazine in a very heavy recoiling rifle.
Take your time and follow the directions very closely. In the beginning slow is better. You have plenty of time before next season. Get yourself some Barnes 130 TSX bullets for that 270WSM and try H4350EXT with a magnum primer. Don't buy the Barnes bullets till later. They are expensive and you need cheap Sierra bullets while you are in training.

Good luck and get back with us from time to time.

Posts: 1159 | Location: Florida | Registered: 16 December 2004Reply With Quote