New
Find
Notify
Tools

Swede help
 Login/Join

one of us
posted
Ok folks it's time to start playing with my Swede but I would like to ask the folks here what they feel is a good powder for bullets in the 100gr. range? yes I know the Swede does great with bullets in the 140gr. range but hey the deer around here are not all that big and I have for the last 14 years shot them with my 22-250 but I built this Swede for an all around huntin' rifle. It's build on a M48 Mauser action with a 22" Parker Hale barrel so let me hear your opinions and if you have any loads I'd love for you to offer them up. Later,

Kirk

Posts: 166 | Location: Right in the middle of Oklahoma, USA | Registered: 04 December 2003Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of Ol` Joe
posted Hide Post
Try the 100 gr partiton for deer most 100 gr 6.5 bullets are built for varmites. Personally I think you gain alot and loose very little velocity with 120 gr bullets over the 100 on game. I used Varget (Don`t quote me but I think it was ~38gr) in one of my Swedes with the 100 gr BT and was happy, but weather or not it will work well in your rifle is anyones guess. You just have to experiment a bit to find the best powder/bullet combo for each rifle.

------------------------------------
The trouble with the Internet is that it's replacing masturbation as a leisure activity. ~Patrick Murray

"Why shouldn`t truth be stranger then fiction?
Fiction after all has to make sense." (Samual Clemens)

"Saepe errans, numquam dubitans --Frequently in error, never in doubt".

Posts: 2535 | Location: Michigan | Registered: 20 January 2001Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of bartsche
posted Hide Post
ConfusedNot knowing the construction of the bullet you intend to use or at what velocity you're looking at It is difficult for me to give you adequate load information.

Reduced loads with 100 gr. 6.5 bullets might be the thing you need. If so get in touch with Seafire he has a lot of practical first hand experience with this cartridge and what bullets do what at given velocities.

Just out of curiosity why not use a heavier bullet? beerroger

Old age is a high price to pay for maturity!!! Some never pay and some pay and never reap the reward. Wisdom comes with age! Sometimes age comes alone..

Posts: 10226 | Location: Temple City CA | Registered: 29 April 2003Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Well I have a trerrible ailment of liking to shoot p-dogs and the 17 Rem and 223 pretty well peter out sometime too close so every once in awhile I like to take out something with a little more UUMP! but I am not a big fan of buying farmer joes cow the next mile section over, so I figure the lighter bullets will have a better ability to say come apart? no on the flip side of my warped mind I have a heavy barrel 308 that I built many years ago for long range and when I do lug that thing into the field I shoot the 125gr. Nosler BT's and have had great luck on deer and the sort so I am just a fan of light bullets to most plus where I deer hunt it's pretty flat so I like the point and shoot option not to mention my wife will more than likely be behind this rifle and she is real shy of recoil!
I have shot the 140's and was suprised at the buck this rifle had! it's nothing that would bother me but I'm digging a hole he further I go I think so I'm gonna shut up. Pretty much in a nut shell I would rather the bullet not travel very far in the case of a miss of if I pop a coyote, I've been told that the RL19 and RL22 powders are good choices but I can't seem to find much information on the Alliant website so I figured I'd throw out a question here.
Reason for a lighter bullet! I really don't seem to have a good reason after reading the post above bewildered Later,

Kirk

Posts: 166 | Location: Right in the middle of Oklahoma, USA | Registered: 04 December 2003Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Ksmirk,I have been playing with some 100gr. Nosler par,BT, and a Hornady.All with good results,Powders that I have used are H4350,varget,H380,H4895,RL#15, and I think the Varget worked the best, I shot it from A Ruger 77 MKII, with A 22in. BBL.not sure of the charge weight,so I won't give you A number, don't want to be wrong! try and find A paper back Hodgdon manual,it will be there.

Posts: 185 | Location: MICHIGAN | Registered: 21 December 2005Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Varget, IMR 4895, IMR 4350. I've done well with all these and 100 grn bullets.

it's a fresh wind that ... Blows Against the Empire

Posts: 225 | Location: houston, tx | Registered: 04 February 2003Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
I like the 129 gr hornadys for the lightest bullet in my swede , maybe 120. 129s are the lightest that can still be seated in the neck and get close to the lands.

Posts: 4821 | Location: Idaho/North Mex. | Registered: 12 June 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
GSP7,You are right that 129gr. Hornady does shoot well in the Swede, I don't know powder you use, but RL#22 works good for me with that bullet.

Posts: 185 | Location: MICHIGAN | Registered: 21 December 2005Reply With Quote