THE ACCURATERELOADING.COM FORUMS

Moderators: Mark
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

300 Weatherby (and general reloading question)
 Login/Join

One of Us
Picture of Austin Hunter
posted
Folks,

Just curious if folks have experienced the three scenarios below:

Scenario 1 - I have some rifles that will shoot any bullet (diff manufacturers and weights) well. Just have to find the right powder.

Scenario 2 - Shoots one brand of bullets well, but diff powders - example my 375 H&H; only shoots Barnes well; Varget with the 250 gr TTSX; 203B with the 300 gr TSX

Scenario 3 - My 300 Wby - only shoots 180 gr TTSX and MRP. Tried many different bullets 2 years ago, no luck. Just finished trying RL-23, 26; IMR 4955, 7977 with the TTSX. NADA. The MRP is accurate, but very temp sensitive - about 1.5 fps per degree temp. Good news my load was developed in 100 degree conditions, so not worried about spikey pressures.

"Evil is powerless if the good are unafraid" -- Ronald Reagan

"Ignorance of The People gives strength to totalitarians."

Want to make just about anything work better? Keep the government as far away from it as possible, then step back and behold the wonderment and goodness.

Posts: 3080 | Location: Austin, Texas | Registered: 05 April 2006Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Scenario 1. Generally agree. Especially since you used the word "some". Will quibble with "any bullet". You know that M193 bullet pulls will never shoot like SMKs in a .224" varmint rifle, no matter what powder you use.

Scenario 2. Only rarely do I not find this true.

Scenario 3. Pretty much. My .300 Roys shoot best with a) heavy cup/cores having long bearing surfaces and flat bases seated out as far as box will allow and, b) mid-heavy range monometals. Assuming either of those situations have not found powder choice critical.

Posts: 670 | Location: Dover-Foxcroft, ME | Registered: 25 May 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Austin Hunter
posted Hide Post
I found the TTSX work best at spec, 3.56". It's a Mauser M03 and has lots of free bore, out to 3.7" if I remember correctly for the TTSX. I have a 375 barrel for it as well, shoots Barnes as well, 250 gr TTSX and 300 ge TSX. Seated at 3.575 and 3.570 respectively

"Evil is powerless if the good are unafraid" -- Ronald Reagan

"Ignorance of The People gives strength to totalitarians."

Want to make just about anything work better? Keep the government as far away from it as possible, then step back and behold the wonderment and goodness.

Posts: 3080 | Location: Austin, Texas | Registered: 05 April 2006Reply With Quote