New
Find
Notify
Tools

XMR3100 - AA3100
 Login/Join

One of Us
posted
Does anyone know if these are the same powders?

I am loading for a friend's 25-06 and I don't have access to the rifle. My records show I was loading XMR3100, Lot No. 8599. That was in October 1999. I have some Accurate 3100 that has no discernible lot number on the plastic canister. The Accurate Arms website is no help, but does say that A3100 is no longer available.

I was loading 58.0 grains of XMR3100 with 100 grain Nosler Ballistic Tips for 3400 FPS. I would have found that load in one of the many standard manuals that I have. I have never loaded above the max found in a manual. That said, this rifle, an older M77, produced high pressures when I first developed loads for it about 15 years ago and I recall that it would not accept a max load without excessive case expansion.

My friend expects me to deliver his ammo when we meet in Montana in November, and I'm at a loss. Perhaps my only solution is for him to ship me the rifle, or to buy some factory ammo. Because this rifle has been persnicketty in the past, I'm reluctan to even make up some fairly mild loads, and then he would have no opportunity to sight in with them.

Any advice will be appreciated.
Brice

Posts: 2827 | Location: Seattle, in the other Washington | Registered: 26 April 2006Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of bartsche
posted Hide Post
popcornIn the past when I had questions about Accurate powder I just called and asked. beerroger

Old age is a high price to pay for maturity!!! Some never pay and some pay and never reap the reward. Wisdom comes with age! Sometimes age comes alone..

Posts: 10226 | Location: Temple City CA | Registered: 29 April 2003Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
That's a great idea, but the web site provided no contact info. Do you ahve a number, or know where to locate?

Posts: 2827 | Location: Seattle, in the other Washington | Registered: 26 April 2006Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
I believe the two powders are one and the same, but the only way to be certain is to call... (I have loaded both and could not tell any difference...) the number I used years ago was 1-800-416-3006, if memory serves. Maybe it will still work. If not, I would call Johan at Western Powders, since Western now owns Accurate.

Best of luck to you...

Posts: 4748 | Location: TX | Registered: 01 April 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Thanks very much D. I cannot keep up with whom purchased whom in the sporting arms industry. (I think there should be one who and one whom in that, not certain. If Scriptus sees it he will straighten me out.)
Brice

One of Us
posted Hide Post
The Accurate Powders website has the following under "CONTACT US"

Western Powders, Inc.
PO Box 158
Top of Yellowstone Hill
Miles City, MT 59301

406-234-0422
Fax: 406-234-0430

Posts: 677 | Location: Arizona USA | Registered: 22 January 2006Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
If you can get his rifle without breaking any laws it would be more satisfactory.
No matter what Western says they will not be able to anticipate what the rifle does.

Posts: 13978 | Location: http://www.tarawaontheweb.org/tarawa2.jpg | Registered: 03 December 2008Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of BNagel
posted Hide Post
http://www.accuratepowder.com/contact-us/

I've found AA3100 and H4831 to be the same in my .338 WM, .300 H&H loads -- kinda "the same" like the various 4350's are to one another. My old Accurate manual [1999 Reloaders Guide] describes XMR-3100 as "a cost-effective replacement for IMR-4831 and H-4831" and Nosler data for 180-grainers is identical for AA-3100 and H 4831. Work up anyhow. All the data I have on hand says that load is beyond HOT!

Posts: 4885 | Location: Bryan, Texas | Registered: 12 January 2005Reply With Quote