Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

single shot 7-30waters tc
 Login/Join

posted
my question is---I started reloading for my 730 waters contender and I purchased some 7 mm.284 hornady interlock softpoints. The problem I have is in my reloading manual it says for the overall length for this type of bullet is 2.550 and when I seat the bullets, the bullet sinks down past the shoulder of the bullet. Are these the correct bullets or should I disregard the overall length that the manual shows me and get the overall length for the contender? And if so, will the overall length then be greater? Thanks for your help all!

one of us
posted Hide Post
the aol is for magizine fed arms seat the bullet to what fits your particular firearm's needs.

Posts: 63 | Location: ga | Registered: 12 November 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
COLs in loading manuals usually do not exceed SAAMI spec.

Sometimes minor changes in seating depth can fine tune the accuracy, so that is something you might want to play with later, but I'd suggest you start out with it seated just off the rifling. Most likely that will result in a longer COL than the manuals. No big deal.

Posts: 97 | Location: Pocatello, ID | Registered: 24 August 2003Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Well, I do not know where you got the 2.550 OAL data from but it would seem to be incorrect.

The latest edition of the Hornady manual lists OAL that is somewhat longer than that for the 7-30 Waters.

Hornady suggests using an OAL for either their 139 or 154 grain Spire Point of 2.830".

That should solve your problem.

R F

Posts: 1220 | Location: Hanford, CA, USA | Registered: 12 November 2000Reply With Quote