New
Find
Notify
Tools

RCBS vs Lyman: a tale of two companies
 Login/Join

One of Us
posted
I've been through a busy stretch the past 5 or so years with my career and haven't done much shooting. Now, I'm finally having a chance to enjoy life again, and have started to pick up on reloading again. I was going through my stuff in preparation to do some load development, and realized I needed to replace some parts on different die sets before I could start.

I needed a decapping assembly for one of my older RCBS dies. I called RCBS last week and tried to locate the part number. They were very helpful. They sent the part to me (got it 4 days after ordering it). I was surprised. There was NO CHARGE (not for the part, not for the $ 1.05 shipping). Wow!

I needed another decapping assembly for a Lyman carbide pistol die. The were helpful. They took my credit card number and I paid for the parts ( picked up 2 assemblies, which includes a spare)+ shipping + handling. They wouldn't be able to ship it out for "about 2 weeks."

We aren't talking about a lot of money here, about $15 total to Lyman.

I don't have any complaints about Lyman, but RCBS's service, speed, and generosity just blew my socks off. I can say, there will be more RCBS products in my reloading room.

--------------------------------------------------------
Behavior accepted, is behavior repeated.

Posts: 624 | Location: Maine, ayuh | Registered: 06 March 2007Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
If they impresse you you should look at Redding or Dillon.
Bill

Member DSC,DRSS,NRA,TSRA
A man who carries a cat by the tail learns something he can learn in no other way.
-Mark Twain
There ought to be one day - just one – when there is open season on Congressmen.
~Will Rogers~

Posts: 1132 | Location: Fort Worth, Texas | Registered: 09 May 2006Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Ditto on RCBS. This week, I dropped them a note asking part# etc to order new lock ring for a 50BMG die, the lock screw stripped. Received note that this is a warranty "situation" and they will post me one out free as a replacement.

I don't expect "freebies" especially when I'm at fault, but you cannot beat this.

Posts: 395 | Location: West Coast | Registered: 09 April 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Hunt-ducks
posted Hide Post
RCBS Dillon clap

I just know that Redding who ownes Saeco wanted $3 for a screw on a sprue plate.

Posts: 450 | Location: CA. | Registered: 15 May 2006Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of Swede44mag
posted Hide Post
I bought a new set of Redding Rifle dies the FL Sizer die had the wrong expander ball I called them the sent me one No Charge.

Swede

---------------------------------------------------------
NRA Life Member

Posts: 1608 | Location: Central, Kansas | Registered: 15 January 2003Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
They were very helpful. They sent the part to me (got it 4 days after ordering it). I was surprised. There was NO CHARGE (not for the part, not for the $ 1.05 shipping). Wow!

I dpn't think that's quite true, not as you state it anyway. Actually, you paid for it in the initial purchase price. If you had never needed it, you paid up front anyway.

I suspect that if you need Lyman parts due to a manufactor's defect it will have had no charge. That's really not unfair.

The price of Lyman's tools shows the difference in parts policy; I don't have to pay for other peoples mistakes! So far, in some 44 years of using Lyman tools I've had to obtain exactly zero replacement parts for several dies, a scale, two presses, a case trimmer, etc.

Posts: 1615 | Location: South Western North Carolina | Registered: 16 September 2005Reply With Quote