New
Find
Notify
Tools

25-06 Imp or 6.5-06 Imp
 Login/Join

<RAG>
posted
Borrowed a friends 25-06 Imp because I told him I'd help him out because he doesn't reload. Man is it fun to shoot. How does 3,650 fps sound with a 100 grain partition using Reloader 22 (hot load); but could get 3,550 without any primer cratering or flattening. I think I want to have one built for these west coast deer. However, I've always like the 6.5 mm bullets a little better. Looking at the 6.5-06 Imp data posted on this site, I wasn't overly impressed, as I was able to push the same weight bullet faster with a 25-06 IMP.

Any recommendations? Or personal results?

Thanks

one of us
posted Hide Post
RAG,

I think both of these carts. are excellent and you can't go wrong with either of them. Not much help when chosing between the two I know, other than to say if deer is the biggest animal and speed is the attraction...the 25-06imp. is the one. However, the 6.5-06imp. with 120gr. bullets is nothing to sneeze at and don't discount the 6.5's ability to carry energy down range. Just make sure that the rifle. in either calibre is wearing a 26" barrel!
It all boils down to whichever cal. trips your trigger at the time. You can always get one of each!!

Elk Country

[This message has been edited by Elk Country (edited 05-07-2002).]

Posts: 180 | Location: Northern Colorado, USA | Registered: 26 March 2002Reply With Quote
<eldeguello>
posted
If you like the .25/'06 IMP, and want the advantage of the 6.5mm due to a wider selection of heavier bullets, and want more speed, look at the 6.5 Gibbs!! It's REALLY improved!!

<MAKATAK>
posted
Well, you can always start the "itybit" argument. 0.257" vs 0.264", only 0.007" difference, just an itybit bigger. Or go just an itybit farther to 0.277", or even an itybit more to 0.284. You know, bigger bullet - slower speed vs smaller bullet - faster speed and, of course, smaller case vs bigger case. All you do is chase your tail and get crazier. More need to justify, feel better, mine's bigger than yours hairy caveman stuff.

You can go up to a 160 gr bullet in the 6.5. See, it's already starting.

Pick out the caliber and rifle that suits you and use it with a flair. Enjoy it fully and thouroughly. Fondle it and stroke it. Keep it clean and well oiled. Use stout but not magnumitis loads, don't over stress the action or burn out the barrel. Don't start comparing, it will only diminish your possesion. In the end the rifle is only what you make it.

If someone doesn't care for your choice tell them to piss off and do the impossible to themselves. Remember there are always trade-offs when you start climbing the slippery slope of picking nits.

More velocity for a specific size bore means more powder, more powder means more heat, more heat means more throat erosion, more throat erosion means LESS accuracy over time and more cost per cartridge in many other ways. More means less. You have to balance the equation.

I like my standard 25-06. I like my wildcat 22-284 and 6mm-284 and 6.5mm-284.

I liked my wildcat 22-243 and 22-6mm when I was playing with them. There wasn't a modicum of difference between the wildcat 22 cals or between the 6mm, the 25 or the 6.5, unless you started splitting cu** hairs. 95 - 107 for the 6mm, 100 - 120's for the 25 and 140's for the 6.5. Put the bullet where it belongs and whatever you hit falls over dead or disapears in a purple haze. For the most part it's all vanity and bragging rights. If you're into that, then go for the wildest you can afford and don't look back. If not, get a standard caliber you like, don't waste all that other money on loading equipment. Buy factory ammo. Some of it shoots as well or better than I can reload and with much less hassle.

So here goes the Sierra Matchking thing again, yes???