Find
Notify
Tools

Herter's Bullet Jackets
 Login/Join

one of us
posted
Hi folks,

I have a couple of boxes (250 count) Herter's 38 Caliber Bullet Jackets. Could anyone tell me how long ago these were offered as a product by Herter's, and if they are considered collectible?

thanks

DJ

Posts: 88 | Location: Delaware | Registered: 27 October 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of TCLouis
posted Hide Post
Just a guess according to Herter's demise, but I am guessing late 60s to very early 70s.
Herters was pretty well out by the mid 70s. The jackets could be older as there were many things Herter's offered that were ahead of their time.
I still have and use several Herter's items.
According to my 69 Herter's catalog the jackets were a buck sixty for 250 and $5.75/1000.
Collector item . . . who know what follks will pay for.
Funny thing is I actually sought and bought that Herter's catalog on eBay for nostalgia sake as well as a box of Herters bullets. Now if I could only find a box of those Famous George L. Herter's perfect Wasp Waist bullets! !
[Roll Eyes]
LouisB

[ 11-17-2002, 05:39: Message edited by: TCLouis ]

Posts: 4255 | Location: TN USA | Registered: 17 March 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
DEJ - Are these bullet jackets or HALF jackets for swagged pistol bullets. As I recall Herters used to really push the half jacket thing.

My guess is they have little, if any collector's value either way.

Posts: 19677 | Location: New Mexico | Registered: 23 May 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
1 of the boxes had been opened and retaped by prev owner, but I had never looked at them. Checking that box, they do appear to be half as you suggested, Pecos45. There was one such lead bullet with half jacket laying in the box with the unused jackets. I had loaded hard cast bullets for 44 mag and and my 45 Linebaugh, and jacketed for 44 mag, but had never loaded,shot,nor seen anyone else use a half jacketed bullet like that.

thanks for the "learning"

DJ

Posts: 88 | Location: Delaware | Registered: 27 October 2002Reply With Quote
<Rezdog>
posted
You've got your hands on a real treasure because EVERYTHING carrying the Herter's names was the fastest, toughest, best engineeered, most accurate, strongest, prettiest, incomprable, unique, most powerful, guarenteed to catch the most fish, kill the most game, be the envy of your friends and neighbors, and be the firstest with the mostest. I used to just love reading the hyperbole in their catalogs -- they were never modest in their claims.

one of us
Picture of DannoBoone
posted Hide Post
Some things just end WAY too soon -- Studebaker,
Startrek, the Second Generation, and Herter's. Just
about cried when these met their demise.

Prior to Lee Harvey Oswald (or aka the man on the
knoll) Herter's was a great company to order guns
from. Their farbonglass arrow shafts were danged
heavy, but oh, what kinetic energy! Was always going
to order their arrow heads which would leave a perfect
"8" cutout through an apple, but they shut down before
I ever got around to it. They just had all kinds of neat
"stuff".

A year ago, I spotted a Herter's "Rifleman" single-stage
press on an on-line auction. Thought sure it would go
really high. Alas! I was the only one to bid, and had to
go a dollar higher than his minimum of $50. I got me one
WUNDERFUL second press that would be heavy enough
to press .50BMG, if the stroke were long enough. Talk
about heavy duty!

But as far as collector's items? Seems as though
Herter's is a very well kept secret from the collectors! [Frown]

Posts: 565 | Location: Walker, IA, USA | Registered: 03 December 2001Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
TCLewis,
Email me your address at ed@aement.com. I'll send you a couple of the Herter's Wasp-waist Sonic bullets. I still have a partial box of the .22-calibers. Somewhere around here there's another partial box of a different caliber, but I can't remember what. (They say the mind is the second thing to go...can't remember the first.)
'puck

Posts: 235 | Location: Ladson, SC, USA | Registered: 02 April 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
HockeyPuck/TCLewis,
I had a box of those wasp-waist bullets in 180 grains.They shot very well in both my Krag and my '06 Springfields.
Frank

Posts: 202 | Location: Newburgh,New York Orange | Registered: 21 March 2001Reply With Quote