New
Find
Notify
Tools

NorthFork bullets
 Login/Join

one of us
posted
Hello everybody, need some help here from someone who knows these bullets.

I was thinking of adding these to our line-up (are already the Scandinavian rep for GS Custom).

Are they any good? Compared to TB, Swift A-Frame, Bitterroot, Jensen and what they are called all of them.

The GS Custom bullets are first and foremost penetrating bullets, hoped the NorthForks would open to larger diameter but still hold together reliably. That way being able to serve both customers who wants complete penetration at any cost and the ones wanting the bullet to expand to large diameter even if that means the bullet will sometimes stay within the animal.

Posts: 118 | Location: Norway | Registered: 02 October 2003Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of Dutch
posted Hide Post
If you do a search on the reloading, big game, and African forum, you'll find a number of threads, complete with testimonials and recovered bullets.

You'll find that the consensus of opinion is that these bullets perform flawlessly on big game, and are highly, highly accurate. HTH, Dutch.

Posts: 4564 | Location: Idaho Falls, ID, USA | Registered: 21 September 2000Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Just done a search and had more than 200 matches.

Thank you all. Have already sent Mike Brady a mail.

Posts: 118 | Location: Norway | Registered: 02 October 2003Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
I have used them on Buffalo, Eland and much plainsgame and they are as good as a bullet gets........end of story.

I have a bunch of recovered bullets that simply clone each other, perfect mushrooms and that includes two spine shot buff and an Eland...Now thats a testamonial deluxe, not many, if any bullets can take that and remain intact much less display a perfect mushroom...

Posts: 42176 | Location: Twin Falls, Idaho | Registered: 04 June 2000Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of POP
posted Hide Post
Where are his BC's listed? Can not find them on his site. They do look blunt though. I wonder why he made them that way.
Huge turn-off! [Confused]

Posts: 3865 | Location: Cheyenne, WYOMING, USA | Registered: 13 June 2000Reply With Quote
<phurley>
posted
POP ---- You don't have to worry about their accuracy, they will be the most accurate premium bullet you have ever shot. Read what he has to say about BC on his site. www.northforkbullets.com [Wink] Good shooting.

one of us
posted Hide Post
North Fork is now my #1 go to bullet. I try it before any others. Generally I don't have to go any further.
They perform magnificently on game.

Nosler was my old"go-to" bullet, and they are great. Now I'm just partial to Mike's bullets.

Yeah, I do wish they were a little more pointed,but in the REAL hunting world- I don't think I'd realize a whole lot of difference.

I have too many other things to worry about other than if my bullet will do it's job. NF's work..

Skipper Miller East Texas

Posts: 125 | Location: East Texas | Registered: 11 October 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
I've not used them but Seyfried thinks highly of them FWIW.

Posts: 9647 | Location: Yankeetown, FL | Registered: 31 August 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
I have not used them on game but have use North Fork�s .411� 300gr and could not be happier with the accuracy.

one of us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by POP:
They do look blunt though. I wonder why he made them that way.

He had very good reasons for making them that way and explains it well on his web page. Unfortunately, that's probably the reason I'll never use them. As much as I like their design otherwise, I'm going to take a long shot when that's all I can get.

Don't get me wrong, I do like the design--I have bought some. If I was offered a free Brown Bear hunt for tomorrow (I certainly can't afford one), I'd be loading them up tonight.

But hunting mere mortal creatures in open country, I simply won't deal with nearly twice the wind drift I have with more aerodynamic bullets. The wind is hard enough for me to deal with, I don't need to make it any harder on myself by using a blunt, low BC bullet. I'm not even talking about "super long range" or anything here, in a stiff crosswind at only 300-400 yards the difference can be many inches. Who cares if they're accurate at 100 yds at the range? You don't need accuracy to kill something at 100 yds. Out where you do, in real world conditions, a bullet that drifts less in the wind is easier to hit with--it's that simple.

But that's just my personal preference. For many I couldn't think of a bullet better than the Northfork. That's why I suggest you do carry them, Sauer 150--for many people (maybe even most in your area) they're probably as good as bullets get.

Posts: 920 | Location: Mukilteo, WA | Registered: 29 November 2001Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of POP
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Jon A:
quote:
Originally posted by POP:
They do look blunt though. I wonder why he made them that way.

He had very good reasons for making them that way and explains it well on his web page. Unfortunately, that's probably the reason I'll never use them. As much as I like their design otherwise, I'm going to take a long shot when that's all I can get.

Don't get me wrong, I do like the design--I have bought some. If I was offered a free Brown Bear hunt for tomorrow (I certainly can't afford one), I'd be loading them up tonight.

But hunting mere mortal creatures in open country, I simply won't deal with nearly twice the wind drift I have with more aerodynamic bullets. The wind is hard enough for me to deal with, I don't need to make it any harder on myself by using a blunt, low BC bullet. I'm not even talking about "super long range" or anything here, in a stiff crosswind at only 300-400 yards the difference can be many inches. Who cares if they're accurate at 100 yds at the range? You don't need accuracy to kill something at 100 yds. Out where you do, in real world conditions, a bullet that drifts less in the wind is easier to hit with--it's that simple.

But that's just my personal preference. For many I couldn't think of a bullet better than the Northfork. That's why I suggest you do carry them, Sauer 150--for many people (maybe even most in your area) they're probably as good as bullets get.

DITTO!!! [Frown]

Posts: 3865 | Location: Cheyenne, WYOMING, USA | Registered: 13 June 2000Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of Russell E. Taylor
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Atkinson:
I have used them on Buffalo, Eland and much plainsgame and they are as good as a bullet gets........end of story.

It's THIS thinking by THIS man who has shot a LOT of stuff in Africa that normally doesn't go down easily that led me to make a semi-sizeable purchase from Mike a little while back. As long as I live to get home to enjoy them, I'm going to wring the Hell out of these bullets. I got a bunch in .375 and .416 as I recall, besides a few others. I'm very much looking forward to working up loads with these suckers.

Mike's a super guy to deal with, both professionally and personally. You just can't go wrong by doing business with him.

Russ

Posts: 2982 | Location: Silvis, IL | Registered: 12 May 2001Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
I don't give a big pile about BC but I can tell you from actual experience that the North Forks are superior period. I have taken 10 animals now with them at distances up to 200+ yards with a good old 9.3x64 (250gr) with no difficulty. I recovered exactly one bullet (blue wildebeest) and have shot through Zebra, waterbuck, gemsbok, and kudu from various angles. I don't understand the great debate over this 400yd stuff. I have hunted extensively throughout the US, Canada and some of Africa for 48 years now and never had a problem getting within 250yds of what I wanted to shoot (coues deer bucks excepted). I have shot many times at targets out to 500yds with everthing from 308 to 300 H&H and know that most hunters will not hit a deer sized target under hunting conditions at a true 250yds let alone 400yds! If you carry a bench with you maybe but most of the time my rest is a tree, stick, rock or my knees. Dismissing these great bullets because you think the BC (should be BS factor)is too low are missing out on a great premium bullet.

Posts: 740 | Location: CT/AZ USA | Registered: 14 February 2001Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
It's just a matter of personal preference. For one who never shoots beyond 250 yds, you could also call accuracy the "BS Factor." Do you need an accurate bullet to be successful at 250 yds? No. If you couldn't shoot groups any better than 2" @ 100 yds with these would you use them? They'd do the job just fine for you but many people wouldn't use them if they didn't shoot so well at 100 yds.

Most people gain confidence in loads by shooting tiny groups with them at 100 yds, even though such accuracy isn't required for their hunting style. They refuse to use bullets that won't shoot well at 100 yds. There's nothing wrong with that, it's just not me.

I gain confidence in loads by shooting small groups at ranges much farther than I would ever attempt in the field. Anybody who does so learns very quickly that wind is the hardest factor to overcome. And that a high BC bullet is your best friend--certainly not "BS."

Posts: 920 | Location: Mukilteo, WA | Registered: 29 November 2001Reply With Quote
<phurley>
posted
Jon A ----- Check the web site, click on the .30 cal bullet shown that took an Elk at 418 yards. I loaded that bullet for a buddy who won the Rocky Elk Foundation Elk hunt for two last year at East Marino Ranch in New Mexico. He made the shot with a .300 Ultra Mag he won at our banquet, that put him in the drawing nationally for the hunt, which he of course won. He didn't know one bullet from another. He said simply, get me a load that will reach out to 450 yards, because they said to expect those distances. That bullet and a second were recovered from his nice 6 X 6 Bull. He is an excellent shot, having hunted with me for years in Colorado. I can't give any stronger endorsement for the North Fork bullet than that. I have killed two Bulls with the bullets, and have yet to recover one. Both my Bulls fell in their tracks with one complete pass through shot. Theories are fine, but in my book actual experience, proving those theories are what really count. [Wink] Good shooting.

[ 10-24-2003, 00:44: Message edited by: phurley ]

one of us
posted Hide Post
Who said anything about theories? There�s no �theory� about this. Actual shooting has shown me first hand that bullets with higher BC�s are easier to hit with at extended ranges when the wind is anything above a mild breeze. That�s no �theory,� just a simple fact.

Does this mean a long shot can�t be made with a lower BC bullet? Of course not. They certainly can�especially when the conditions are favorable. One could make a 400 yd shot with a 2 MOA rifle as well. But if one practices at that range with that rifle and also a � MOA rifle, he�s probably going to end up having more confidence with the later rifle. I simply choose to use something that�s performed better while practicing at extended ranges in not-so-favorable conditions.

That�s just my personal preference. Like I said above, it�s a difference that probably doesn�t matter to most hunters. But for those who it does matter to, it should be a consideration in their bullet choice�and is most certainly not �BS.�

one of us
Picture of POP
posted Hide Post
Jon I agree.
I no longer take those extremely long shots like I did in the past...but in the Wyoming wind I want everything stacked in my favor! [Big Grin]

Maybe the BC is just academic but ....I sleep better at night...know what I mean? [Wink]

one of us
posted Hide Post
I guess it depends on where you hunt.
My longest shot to dat has bee 275 yards on a wounded mule deer doe.

Most shots are 100 yds or less.

Sounds like a great bullet to me, except I can't get them locally.

one of us
posted Hide Post
I haven't done velocity tests at long range to determine BC on the North Forks, but I'll bet they're not as bad as some think. the back half of the bullet is solid, I suppose copper. Compare the length to some of your other bullets and they are long for caliber. That's why Mike Brady doesn't make a 7mm 175 grain, probably too long to stabilize. I do know that when shot out of a .375 at 2770, two inches high at a hundred yards, they're a half inch up at 200 and 7 in low at 300. I shot a springbok at 290 yards with it, holding at the top of the back, range measured with a rangefinder. I also know they'll shoot through a gemsbuck lengthwise, while breaking the shoulder joint on the way out. I do a bunch of long shooting on coyotes, and if it's very windy, long shots are a bitch no matter what kind of rifle or bullets you're using. For game the size of elk, etc. BC would be way down on my list of importance.

Posts: 2788 | Location: gallatin, mo usa | Registered: 10 March 2001Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of POP
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by jstevens:
I do know that when shot out of a .375 at 2770, two inches high at a hundred yards, they're a half inch up at 200 and 7 in low at 300.

According to my PC Ballistic programs that bullet BC is .450 at sea level...if your velocity/drop figures are correct. What weight 375 cal are you using? I assume 270 gr?

[ 10-24-2003, 18:03: Message edited by: POP ]

<JLB_MI>
posted
North Forks are GREAT bullets. My 370 grain 416 caliber bullet weighed 364 grains after recovery from the far side of a Cape Buffalo. Perfect mushroom and a one shot kill. Great service and a super guy to do business with.

one of us
posted Hide Post
Only way to check drop is to shoot them. If you shoot a match king and it wobbles on it's way to the target the BC is down the drain. A blunt bullet spiraling perfect may just surprise you guys that "think with the charts".

Posts: 2002 | Location: central wi | Registered: 13 September 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Sorry it took so long to get back, had to work, I hate it when it interrupts important discussions. The bullet is the 270 grain and the drop was at about 5-6000 ft elevation I was told. I think they said 1800 meters elevation. This would change things a bit, my guess would be more like .420, as it's longer than the Hornady by a bunch their data I think shows .380 for a 270 Horn.

Posts: 2788 | Location: gallatin, mo usa | Registered: 10 March 2001Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Also I hate to admit it , but I could possibly have been an inch off in my estimate at 300 yards,as my 300 yard group was somewhat larger than an inch! My PH wanted me to shoot the .375 at 200 and 300 yards before taking it to another ranch to hunt springbok, said I could use his .243, after shooting the .375, he jumped in the truck and said we'll go hammer a springbok now. Another interesting thing was the PH had a nice practical bench rest set up with an old car jack for a rest for the forend, worked great.

one of us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by kraky:
Only way to check drop is to shoot them. If you shoot a match king and it wobbles on it's way to the target the BC is down the drain. A blunt bullet spiraling perfect may just surprise you guys that "think with the charts".

Very, very good advice! It's yet another reason I actually practice at ranges much longer than I'd shoot when hunting (as I think everybody should). However, I have found computer generated charts to be quite accurate if given the proper inputs for several different bullets (within a couple of inches out to 800 yards). But you'll never know that until you actually try it. There are too many things that could make them off to trust them. I think of them as a starting point that will hopefully put me on paper the first time, nothing more.

I would like to clarify one point: The length of a bullet of a given weight/cal (responsible for the skin drag component of the form factor) will have very, very, little effect on the final BC of the bullet--and Mike will tell you that if you ask him. In fact, making a bullet longer can actually lower its BC (although not much).

one of us
posted Hide Post
I JUST got my first batch of North Fork bullets and have been deciding whether or not to load them for my upcoming 'boo hunt. Have a box of the 225s for my .340 and a box of 300gr for the .375
BUT
In line with Jon A's thinking, I presently use 250gr Gamekings(yeah, I know) but so far I have had one shot success with them on everything I have shot at.(caribou and deer)(I know .340 is a little MUCH for deer but I regularly hunt clear cuts and utilities clearings, so loooonnngggg can be a regular thing) I can't comment on what the bullets looked like because I have never recovered one.
They have a BC of .56 and shoot one hole groups. To run with the Shepherd scope profile I have them loaded at 2825fps. HAve had 8-9" groups at 1000yds with them when I wasn't hitting the diet coke and all caffined up.
I am hunting in late season Quebec where it can be REALLY close or can be REALlY LONG for shooting with wind always blowing.
Guess I will have to make up two loads. One for close to try the North Forks and carry also the MKs for when you need heavy lenses to make out the quarry.
looking for a different bullet for elk/moose other then the partitions I have been using.

Last day of the hunt last year I finally saw what I wanted out on a frozen lake walking at 400yds, in a stiff Xwind. High BC does have it's place.

Posts: 624 | Location: Michigan | Registered: 07 April 2003Reply With Quote
<heider>
posted
Whatever the case may be I can get the 225 gr outa my .338 win about 175 FPS faster and more accurate than anything else.Any body have an estimated B.C. of the .338 225Gr. ??

one of us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by heider:
Whatever the case may be I can get the 225 gr outa my .338 win about 175 FPS faster and more accurate than anything else.Any body have an estimated B.C. of the .338 225Gr. ??

I SPENT a good 5 hours going through all my reference books(NO, I really don't have a life) and different bullets of known BCs and and comparing to the NF 225 and I am figuring it for a BC in the low 4s. Anyway I will load for it that way and see what happens.
Hope to get some loaded and get them run out to 500yds in 100yd increments. That will give a pretty good idea.

[ 10-26-2003, 07:19: Message edited by: LAWCOP ]

Posts: 624 | Location: Michigan | Registered: 07 April 2003Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
The 225 Swift A-Frame has a BC of .384, 225 TBBC .376 and the 225 Speer Grand Slam .382. I'd expect the 225 NF to be fairly close to those.

I'm looking forward to seeing this bullet perform. My dad just had a 338 RUM barrel put on his Ruger No. 1. He's got a box of these and some 225 AccuBonds (BC .550). It'll be interesting to see how they shoot side-by side. May try some penetration tests as well. Should be fun. Probably won't have the time until after this season is over though.

one of us
posted Hide Post
My advice to you guys is don't sweat the BC on the North Forks, they're pretty expensive, so I wouldn't waste time with penetration tests. I can tell you they'll penetrate, the few i've recovered on lengthwise shots in .375 weighed 265-266 grains, started out at 270. Mike Brady is also the easiest person in this business to deal with. Just try them out.