New
Find
Notify
Tools

Increasing powder charge
 Login/Join

One of Us
posted
If I have a longer magazine and chamber for a given round and the reloading manual calls for 60 grains of powder maximum for a given OAL, if I am able to make the OAL thirty thousands longer, can I safely add more powder?

Posts: 10702 | Registered: 28 September 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of MyNameIsEarl
posted Hide Post
The simple answer is no. Just because you have more case capacity does not mean you can fill the void with more powder. If the book says 60 grains, at 58 grains I begin inspecting each fired case for pressure signs. 60 grains is an estimated max. Each gun is different. I have had loads that show pressure signs before book maxes. If your bullet is touching the lands theoritically the pressure will be higher any anyway.

So the long answer would be if you have zero pressure signs at the current OAL then checkit after you increase the OAL. If still no signs, then gradually increase powder in half grain increments. But you gotta be careful. Pressure signs, serious ones, can suddenly appear with no pre warning.

If it were me, whatever shot best before published max would be the load I use. Not sure what your trying gain there.

Posts: 764 | Location: Camp Verde, AZ | Registered: 05 February 2006Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Dead on Earl. The magazine length should not be used for pressure adventures. The cat should check he's not going into the lands, otherwise he should maybe reduce the load as you said.

Posts: 2355 | Location: Australia | Registered: 14 November 2004Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Thank you for your astute information gentlemen.

Posts: 10702 | Registered: 28 September 2005Reply With Quote