THE ACCURATERELOADING.COM FORUMS

Accuratereloading.com    The Accurate Reloading Forums    THE ACCURATE RELOADING.COM FORUMS  Hop To Forum Categories  Guns, Politics, Gunsmithing & Reloading  Hop To Forums  Reloading    7mm-08 managed recoil load advice / alternate powder

Moderators: Mark
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

7mm-08 managed recoil load advice / alternate powder
 Login/Join

One of Us
posted
I want to load up some managed recoil loads for my kids' first experience with the 7-08 I bought for them over Christmas. Hodgdon calls for H4895 to be used for all their listed youth loads. Generally speaking, they use 75-82% of their max charge for H4895 in their regular data section, for the purpose of achieving 2500-2600fps which will safely give a deer killing load at a max range of 200 yds.

Anyhow, my question is can I use either IMR 4350 or 4831, at this 75-82% levels, for this as they are the powders I have on hand?

Your advice would be appreciated.

one of us
Picture of ramrod340
posted Hide Post
Don't know what bullet you are using but a Nosler starting load for 4350 is around 42-43 grs for a 124-140 that is 2500-2600fps. Those loads are more on the order of 95%.

To answer your question NO I would not load those powders down to 75-82%

As usual just my $.02
Paul K

Posts: 12881 | Location: Mexico, MO | Registered: 02 April 2001Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of eagle27
posted Hide Post
H4895 or IMR 4895 is a very good reduced load powder for many cartridges and will usually produce consistent accuracy with reduced charges. The slow burners like 4350 and 4831 are not in this category and should normally only be loaded with charges at or above the advertised minimums. Generally cartridges loaded with these slower powders achieve best accuracy when approaching maximum charges although there are of course always exceptions to this 'rule'.

For lower recoil loads, I would be following the powder manufacturers advice or use minimum charges of the faster burners such as Varget (a good powder for the 7mm-08) with lighter projectiles (120gr)

Posts: 3911 | Location: Rolleston, Christchurch, New Zealand | Registered: 03 August 2009Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Sorry. 120 gr Hornady Sp.

One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by ramrod340:
Don't know what bullet you are using but a Nosler starting load for 4350 is around 42-43 grs for a 124-140 that is 2500-2600fps. Those loads are more on the order of 95%.

To answer your question NO I would not load those powders down to 75-82%

+ 100% Hodgdon instuctions are clear on using their reduced loads and they are not legal for Deer (2400uk)at the lower end, where the reduced loads have less recoil. jc

Posts: 1138 | Registered: 24 September 2011Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Thanks guys. I am going to pick up some IMR 4895 as no one seems to have any H4895 in my town.

One of Us
posted Hide Post
sns2 Hi,Not to labour the point but to keep the kids safe. If you google Hodgdon H4895 reduced loads, it will give you the data for your 7.08. Two things stand out. Its 60% not 75% to 82% (these reduced loads were originaly developed for pistols)and the data is only for H4895.If you are using a different powder use a receipe for that powder.Better to be safe than sorry.jc
Ps.In my previous post my reference to 2400fps applies here in the uk I dont know what the minimun is elswhere.good luck

Posts: 1138 | Registered: 24 September 2011Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Got some H4895 and am loading according to their "youth Loads" page. All is good.

one of us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by sns2:
Anyhow, my question is can I use either IMR 4350 or 4831, at this 75-82% levels, for this as they are the powders I have on hand?

Your advice would be appreciated.

I recommend you read this:
http://africanxmag.com/secondary_explosion_effect.htm

Posts: 1230 | Location: Saugerties, New York | Registered: 12 March 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
I worked up some loads for a Handi-Rifle with Hornady 139 gr BTSP Interlocks with RL-15 that were originally going to be simply fireforming loads in anticipation of an accuracy hunting load with Nosler BT's.

39 gr of RL-15 is about an 85% capacity load, which isn't bad. Chronographed velocity was 2503. Accuracy was good. Recoil was minimal. Source of load was Alliant Powder.

I ended up just using this load for my cousin's boy this past year, after cutting the factory stock down for him for his first Pennsylvania deer season.

He's 9, with average slight build, and had been hunting squirrels with a too-long 410. The 7-08 didn't bother him a bit and he shot it well.

Seemed to be the ticket - not drastically reduced velocity, sufficient punch for PA whitetails (though he didn't shoot one), load density in a reasonable range, and loads worked up from published data, reasonably priced bullets.

Goood luck. -WSJ

Posts: 300 | Location: Western New York | Registered: 03 January 2004Reply With Quote