New
Find
Notify
Tools

Some pre-64 Win questions
 Login/Join

one of us
posted
I've got a pre-64 Model 70 (1959 manuf.) on the way and I am curious about some things and hoped I could get an answer here.

First, how were the Model 70 barrels made back then? Where they hammer forged or what?

Second, what twist rate did the .30-06 have?

And third, approx. how much does the "standard" model weigh with 24" barrel?

I'd appreciate any input.

Dan

Posts: 407 | Location: Olive Branch, MS | Registered: 31 December 2003Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
I am not the final authority on these, but, I have owned a few, so, here goes.

The barrels were cut-rifled and are, in my experience, fully equal to the best barrels made by the premium guys today. I have shot so many tiny groups with full-power Nosler hunting loads in used STD. .270s and .'06s that I have the utmost respect for the old Winchester barrel makers.

Twist, I am fairly certain, was one in 1 in 10, which I prefer in a HUNTING rifle as it will stabilize heavy for caliber bullets; I have owned several rifles just like yours and used them for protection rifles while working in Grizzly country; I prefer a larger cartridge, but, the old Mod. 70-.30-06 with a bit of tweaking is an absolutely superb combo for general use.

Weight-about 8-8.5 lbs before scope, too heavy, but men were men in the good old days! I restock with a Brown Precision and this cuts excess weight and preserves the original wood; I wrap my metal withh black vinyl electrician's tape as well and this preserves it, so, the rifle retains the maximum possible original finish and thus retains it's value.

one of us
posted Hide Post
The standard grade M70's were heavy. They were made to the Col. Whelan pattern with a stout 24" barrel. No effort was made to trim them. On the other hand every effort was made to get them out the door made right.

When the Featherweight M 70 came out it was a break thru in development. The weight was cut to only seven pounds and the balance, in my opinion, was improved as well. There were not many takebacks with the Featherweight. Some complain about the aluminum bottom metal but I find little fault with it.

Where I hunt there have been no rust problems so I dont take the stocks off etc. This practice varies thruout the country. If your hunting in wet weather and staying in an unheated tent then rust and stock warpage could be a problem. The ultra light stocks do change the weight of a rifle like the Standard Grade M70's for the better for sure.

Posts: 5543 | Registered: 09 December 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Cut rifled and very good barrels. most shoot very well..A riflemans rifle..

Scoped they weigh an average of 9.5 Lbs. and thats a good weight for a hunting rifle...I like long barrels and heavier rifles as they simply shoot better off hand for me..Probably the finest factory gun ever made short of the Brno 21 and 22...

If I wanted to cut two pounds I'd take it off my butt not my gun....

Posts: 41973 | Location: Twin Falls, Idaho | Registered: 04 June 2000Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Thanks for the responses guys. I just realized I put this on the wrong forum.

I was just curious about the weight. I don't mind a heavy gun at all and even prefer them. A 9 to 10 lb. rifle with scope and all is fine with me.

Posts: 407 | Location: Olive Branch, MS | Registered: 31 December 2003Reply With Quote