New
Find
Notify
Tools

shotshell bags - sand bags
 Login/Join

one of us
posted
Does anyone know where I can get those old cloth shotshell bags? I really would like to have some to make some sand bags for some of my box stands. Any info would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks.

one of us
Picture of poletax
posted Hide Post
Hi Justin B.
I saw some offered on E-bay just the other day.
Check out the reloading offers there.

My Strength Is That I Can Laugh At Myself,
My Weakness Is That I have No Choice.

Posts: 5567 | Location: charleston,west virginia | Registered: 21 October 2003Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
I have several empty shot bags which have been filled with wheat (farm boy here).
They work great for informal shooting. Light enough I use them for shooting woodchucks from the hood of my truck. I am careful not to let them get wet!
I switched to wheat after a friend dented his hood tossing a sand filled Uncle Bud's bag onto his hood in the heat of the battle with a woodchuck

I am one gun away from being happy

Posts: 906 | Location: NW OH | Registered: 19 January 2003Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of Reloader
posted Hide Post
Justin,

If you can't find some bags I've used another method:

Buy some cheap blue jeans at a yard sale, Cut both legs off of the jeans, cut the two leg pieces the length you'd want your bags, double fold one end, sew the end up, fill er' up w/ sand or popcorn seeds, and sew up the other end.

Might sound kind of weird but, it makes for nice bags when shot bags are not available.

Good Luck!

Reloader

Posts: 4146 | Location: North Louisiana | Registered: 18 February 2004Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of Scout Master 54
posted Hide Post
Stop by your local Trap or Skeet range talk to a couple of the guys and I am sure you'll find a reloader or two that will have some bags for you. I foud that pelletized lime (like you use on your lawn) is excellent for filling the bags. It's light, cheap and moisture resistant (still don't get them wet) and will allow you to mold the bags to fit the guns stock.

Posts: 332 | Location: Western CT | Registered: 10 June 2003Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of wildcat junkie
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Justin B:
Does anyone know where I can get those old cloth shotshell bags? I really would like to have some to make some sand bags for some of my box stands. Any info would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks.

How many do you want? I have several, pay the S&H and they are your's.

GOOGLE HOTLINK FIX FOR BLOCKED PHOTOBUCKET IMAGES https://chrome.google.com/webs...inkfix=1516144253810

Posts: 2440 | Location: Northern New York, WAY NORTH | Registered: 04 March 2001Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of poletax
posted Hide Post
Justin..try this..
http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&category=7308&item=7129075905&rd=1

My Strength Is That I Can Laugh At Myself,
My Weakness Is That I have No Choice.

Posts: 5567 | Location: charleston,west virginia | Registered: 21 October 2003Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by wildcat junkie:
quote:

Thanks.

_How many do you want?_ I have several, pay the S&H and they are your's.

I would like to have at least 6, just email me the s&h to justin_breeding@yahoo.com.

I sure do appreciate it, I hoped somebody might have some to part with.

One of Us
Picture of bartsche
posted Hide Post
Cool Fill the bags with rice. Cheap, light and you really don't need heavy cloth. In fact my wife has sown up a number for me out of the rice sacks themselves. Haven't had any problem in about 5 years and the lighter material forms better around the stock. gunsmileroger

Old age is a high price to pay for maturity!!! Some never pay and some pay and never reap the reward. Wisdom comes with age! Sometimes age comes alone..

Posts: 10226 | Location: Temple City CA | Registered: 29 April 2003Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
I like those blue velvet Crown Royal bags for bench shooting. The contents cost about the same as a 25 pound bag of shot, properly consumed the contents steady your nerve, and the sandbag they make is much classier. thumb

Posts: 13245 | Location: Henly, TX, USA | Registered: 04 April 2001Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of fredj338
posted Hide Post
Scoutmaster has the right idea, any skeettrap shooter would gladly give you a handfull of shot bags. I used to use sand but found that rice, barley, etc. work fine & weigh very little. If you want to spend a bit more, go to a craft store & buy those little palstic beads they fill toys w/, lt.wt. & you don't have to worry abotu mice or moisture. Roll Eyes

LIFE IS NOT A SPECTATOR'S SPORT!

Posts: 7752 | Location: kalif.,usa | Registered: 08 March 2001Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Stonecreek,

Nice idea, never thought of that.

The rice idea is a good one, will fill a couple with rice first and see how I like it.

one of us
posted Hide Post
quote:

Thanks.

I have a lot of empty 25 lb. shot bags. Send me a private message and I'll arrange to get them to you.

lloydeby@earthlink.net

"How's that whole 'hopey-changey' thing working out for ya?"

Posts: 5883 | Location: People's Republic of Maryland | Registered: 11 March 2001Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of prof242
posted Hide Post
Here's what I've done: Take four bags and sew them together lengthwise along the seams. This gives you four pouches that make an X when viewed from the top. Makes an excellent X-bag like the bull-bags. Had a shoe repairman sew them together with stout thread. They've lasted three years already. Another tip, if your paper is delivered in those long thin plastic bags, use them inside the cloth bag before filling. Close them with the wire garbage bag ties. Keeps the filling safe from water.
Oh, one other thing. Got four large coin bags from the bank. Made an X-bag for the range that is fantastic, long, and heavy... Eeker

.395 Family Member
DRSS, po' boy member
Political correctness is nothing but liberal enforced censorship

Posts: 3490 | Location: Colorado Springs, CO | Registered: 04 April 2003Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
quote:

I would like to have at least 6, just email me the s&h to justin_breeding@yahoo.com.

I sure do appreciate it, I hoped somebody might have some to part with.

I can send you @ least 6, possibly more. I have been saving them just in case someone needed them. I shoot Trap, Sheet and Sporting Clays so I go through a few hundred pound a year. Make sure you leave the plastic liners in them if you do use sand or they will leak dust.

I will send them Parcel Post so shipping will only amount to a few $s maybe less.

PM me your Postal adress.

GOOGLE HOTLINK FIX FOR BLOCKED PHOTOBUCKET IMAGES https://chrome.google.com/webs...inkfix=1516144253810

Posts: 2440 | Location: Northern New York, WAY NORTH | Registered: 04 March 2001Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Justin B;

I have 10 I can spare if you want them.

one of us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by fredj338:
If you want to spend a bit more, go to a craft store & buy those little palstic beads they fill toys w/, lt.wt. & you don't have to worry abotu mice or moisture.

That's what I use in mine. I think they're called "Poly beads" or something like that.

Just leave them sealed in the plastic bag they come in, slip it in a shot bag, stitch up the end, and you're set.

Totally weatherproof, lightweight, etc. (I couldn't be bothered with having to keep rice, etc completely dry...)

one of us
posted Hide Post
If anyone else has some they want to part with, I need 4 or 5 for my son to use as a rest.

If not, I spied some blue jean material at Wal-Mart that I was going to use to make a cover for my Dillon. Seems it was $1.99 for a yard, that's 2 bucks for a piece 3' X 5'. That should make several bags, eh?

-----------------------------------------------------
\ "If I don't step over the line every now /
/ and then, how will I know where it is?" \
-----------------------------------------------------

Posts: 148 | Location: Alabama | Registered: 03 December 2004Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Another good filler for bags is kitty litter. Has a major disadvantage. You have to suffer the total embarassment of standing in line with the stuff and be shamed having folks think you own a cat. So to avoid that,go to the auto parts store and get their oil absorbent. It's same stuff,cheaper too. No shame in having a leaking vehicle.

Posts: 1289 | Location: San Angelo,Tx | Registered: 22 August 2003Reply With Quote