Find
Notify
Tools

Brass Polish...
 Login/Join

Picture of boomstick
posted
what do you use?

I normally use Midway Brass polish but it seems to be out of stock every time I go to the local gun shop.

I have seen various posts where folks use Turtle wax or Meguires cleaner/wax from the local auto store with great results.

"When I die, I want to die like my grandmother who died peacefully in her sleep.
Not screaming like all the passengers in her car."
-Author Unknown

Posts: 30 | Location: Houston, TX | Registered: 22 January 2003Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Any of the liquid automotive cleaner/polishers seem to work just fine.

Posts: 8169 | Location: humboldt | Registered: 10 April 2002Reply With Quote
Picture of boomstick
posted Hide Post
Any specific brand?

I need to swing by the auto store on my way home this afternoon...

"When I die, I want to die like my grandmother who died peacefully in her sleep.
-Author Unknown

one of us
Picture of Ol` Joe
posted Hide Post
NuFinish, I don`t use it but hear alot about it from those that do.

------------------------------------
The trouble with the Internet is that it's replacing masturbation as a leisure activity. ~Patrick Murray

"Why shouldn`t truth be stranger then fiction?
Fiction after all has to make sense." (Samual Clemens)

"Saepe errans, numquam dubitans --Frequently in error, never in doubt".

Posts: 2535 | Location: Michigan | Registered: 20 January 2001Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of woods
posted Hide Post
Flitz

http://www.midwayusa.com/eproductpage.exe/showproduct?saleitemid=752367

Chinese Proverb: When someone shares something of value with you and you benefit from it, you have a moral obligation to share it with others.

Posts: 2750 | Location: Houston, Tx | Registered: 17 January 2005Reply With Quote
Picture of boomstick
posted Hide Post
Woods,

I notice that the link is for a tube of paste.

I assume that you would dilute some paste in a liquid so that it can better mix with the tumbling media. What do you use?

Flitz's web site also lists the metal polish in a diluted liquid form.

Thanks for the info...

Saul

-Author Unknown

one of us
posted Hide Post
Liquid "Kit Car Wax" is what I normally use. Does fine on the Cases.

Plus they claim it is 100% Carnuba and I use it to "Wax" my Moly Coated bullets.
---

Any Car Wax should do.

Posts: 9920 | Location: Carolinas, USA | Registered: 22 April 2001Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of woods
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by boomstick:
Woods,

I notice that the link is for a tube of paste.

I assume that you would dilute some paste in a liquid so that it can better mix with the tumbling media. What do you use?

Flitz's web site also lists the metal polish in a diluted liquid form.

Thanks for the info...

Saul

I use a Lee Zip Trim

http://www.midwayusa.com/eproductpage.exe/showproduct?saleitemid=515804

which holds the case, pull the rope and it spins like hell. After trimming, chamfering and cleaning the inside of the neck with steel wool, I spread a line of flitz on it. Spin it and hold a small sponge on it (out of the top of a bullet box) and then hold a rag against it and it will shine and put a protective coating on it.

Flitzed case on the left, new case on the right

Chinese Proverb: When someone shares something of value with you and you benefit from it, you have a moral obligation to share it with others.

Posts: 2750 | Location: Houston, Tx | Registered: 17 January 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
This is the best stuff I've found.

Posts: 1679 | Location: Renton, WA. | Registered: 16 December 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Rusty Marlin
posted Hide Post
The Lyamn Turbo Charger Media Reactivator.

I use Lyman corn cob media so I use thier reactivator too.

Rusty's Action Works
Montross VA.
Action work for Cowboy Shooters &
Manufacturer of Stylized Rigby rifle sights. http://i61.photobucket.com/alb.../th_isofrontleft.jpg

Posts: 863 | Location: Northern Neck Va | Registered: 14 December 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Gentlemen
I use a ultrasonic washing machine to clean the brass. First step is to use a normal household detergent in the water together with the brass to remove the oil/grease from the re-sizing step. After 5 minutes in the washer, rinse brass in water, add fresh water in ultrasonic machine, soak brass, add a zip of "kalkosan" (swedish polish detergent) and let machine work for 3 minutes. Brass comes up better than new. No scratches or abrasion. kalkosan bottle (in swedish) Contents: Phosforus acid, citricic acid, Non-ionic tensides, anti-bacterials, water, perfume. I am not sure that I translated the chemical stuff correctly, though this stuff should be found in any hardwarestore. It is used to disolve chalk/limestone pluggs in wc/showers, to polish copper and brass, remove iron residues from washbasins/kitchen zinks, It is disinfectant too. pH in concentrate 2.0, I use a cap to a pint of water with good results. Recomended dosage for brass and copper polishing is 1,5 dl kalkosan to 6 dl water (or, for US-citizens, roughly 1 coffee cup to a rim-filled pint glass). Its neat and effective. This makes me save hours of work. 100 cases all cleaned in less than 10 minutes time.

Sincerely
Daniel

Posts: 271 | Location: 68°N, Lapland Sweden | Registered: 17 March 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Brian Milner
posted Hide Post
go to walmart and get some brasso best I have yoused

my idea of gun control is a firm grip

Posts: 33 | Location: siloam springs Arkansas | Registered: 22 November 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of STINGER
posted Hide Post
pissers

been using brasso in media for over 20 years and it's still my favorite. my brass has never rotted away and i have not had one person show me a case that was rotted by A M M O N I A.

by the way, i am a volume shooter. i do not use brasso on every tumble just the first time i polish cases. thats all thats needed.

let the flames begin.

PLEASE EXCUSE CAPS, HANDICAPPED TYPIST.

"THE" THREAD KILLER

IT'S OK......I'VE STARTED UP MY MEDS AGAIN. THEY SHOULD TAKE EFFECT IN ABOUT A WEEK. (STACI-2006)

HAPPY TRAILS

HANDLOADS ARE LIKE UNDERWEAR....BE CAREFUL WHO YOU SWAP WITH.

BILL

Posts: 479 | Location: MINOT, NORTH DAKOTA | Registered: 24 January 2005Reply With Quote