Find
Notify
Tools

Moderate .44 Mag load.
 Login/Join

one of us
posted
To all;

I just picked up a S&W Model 329 Titanium .44 Mag revolver at 26 oz.
I will carry this as a B/U while hunting and trout fishing in our remote hills.

I am interested in lead bullet loads that use 2oo / 225 grain bullets that have a very wide & flat meplat. Preferbly with a gas check.

If such a bullet does not exist, then I will go to the 240 family. I don't want to mess with making them. This is my first venture into loading handgun ammo with lead loads.

I am thinking about a load that runs around 1000 /1200 fps. I saw the article in 'Handloader' but it didn't give me much in what I am looking for.

If you know where I can find a bullet close to what I described, and have some load info, please pass it along.

Many thanks,

Sam
eclemmons@hotmail.com

Posts: 702 | Location: Lenoir. N.C. | Registered: 18 September 2000Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Midway USA has some 200 grain hard cast lead bullets with a fairly wide flat nose. www.midwayusa.com I don't know that you would need a gas check at that velocity, with hard cast loads, leading shouldn't be an issue unless you are pushing them faster.

Posts: 2852 | Location: Michigan | Registered: 02 September 2001Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
B.S. (Sorry, I couldn't resist...):

I just bought a 329 a couple of weeks ago. I've looked in a couple of reloading books and found 240g jacketed loads with RE 7 at about 1000fps. Of course, you could also just reload some .44 Specials at about 800fps with the same bullet. My first rounds were Black Hills .44 Specials, 210g lead that were real pussycats. Then I fired a few full house reloads (24.0g H110) and they were..........interesting. You WILL need both hands on the gun for the full power .44 Mag loads. But, I love the gun. I think it will be a great carry gun for the woods....

MKane160 aka BigDogMK

Posts: 488 | Location: TN | Registered: 03 January 2004Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Uh, let's make that AA #7, not RE-7. Sheesh.....

MKane160 aka BigDogMK

Posts: 488 | Location: TN | Registered: 03 January 2004Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of Lar45
posted Hide Post
I think that I would look for a fast burning powder like 700x for this application. That way you can have a light powder charge. The reduced recoil from a faster powder should be quite noticible in your light revolver. At that velocity you shouldn't need a gaschecked bullet.

Posts: 2924 | Location: Arkansas | Registered: 23 December 2002Reply With Quote