THE ACCURATERELOADING.COM FORUMS

Moderators: Mark
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Fiocchi 7.62X39mm brass - handloading quality??
 Login/Join

one of us
Picture of Kenati
posted
I recently picked up a Sig Sauer 556R Russian SWAT rifle as a toy (after coming to the realization that all of my highpowered rifles are purpose built/bought for putting rounds in small groups with boring regularity) and also for a "when shit hits the fan" rig.

My question is this...

I want to ask you about your impressions of Fiocchi Brass, specifically in 7.62X39mm. I can't find any (affordable) new brass in 7.62X39mm that makes handloading economically feasible. But I can buy Fiocchi loaded ammo at a price that makes sense to me. But I am wondering if the Fiocchi brass will be good for handloading, since that is my ultimate goal.

Given this is a piston driven battle rifle, of course I'm not asking about neck concentricity or the need to de-burr flash holes, I'm more concerned with neck splitting, loose primer pockets, softness, etc.

The sample box of loaded Fiocchi that I bought looks to be nice brass with annealed necks, but I haven't shot any yet.

I appreciate any input.

Thanks!

Posts: 1051 | Location: Dirty Coast | Registered: 23 November 2000Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of bartsche
posted Hide Post
popcornI've used the Fiocchi brass to a limited extent in my .22 PPC and have had no problem so far.

The nny and Fiocci cases have a head dia. .004" larger than the FC., IMC., Norma, and Winchester.
beer roger

Old age is a high price to pay for maturity!!! Some never pay and some pay and never reap the reward. Wisdom comes with age! Sometimes age comes alone..

Posts: 10226 | Location: Temple City CA | Registered: 29 April 2003Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of D Humbarger
posted Hide Post
I bought a 100 round box of Fiocchi 5.56 ammo. I am not kidding when I say that 41 of the 100 cases had primer pockets soo off center that I trashed them. I consider Fiocchi to be high quality but now I wonder.

Doug Humbarger
NRA Life member
Tonkin Gulf Yacht Club 72'73.
Yankee Station

Try to look unimportant. Your enemy might be low on ammo.

Posts: 8350 | Location: Jennings Louisiana, Arkansas by way of Alabama by way of South Carloina by way of County Antrim Irland by way of Lanarkshire Scotland. | Registered: 02 November 2001Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of Kenati
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by D Humbarger:
I bought a 100 round box of Fiocchi 5.56 ammo. I am not kidding when I say that 41 of the 100 cases had primer pockets soo off center that I trashed them. I consider Fiocchi to be high quality but now I wonder.

Confused Eeker

That's pretty crazy!

Posts: 1051 | Location: Dirty Coast | Registered: 23 November 2000Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of Kenati
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by bartsche:

The nny and Fiocci cases have a head dia. .004" larger than the FC., IMC., Norma, and Winchester.
beer roger

Very interesting. Thanks for sharing that info. I wonder if the larger case head will pose any problems after repeated firings? Especially in a semi-auto. I have the Redding dies, but they didn't mention anything about being a "small base" set. Guess I'll just have to find out!

Thanks again.

One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by D Humbarger:

Same with a bunch of once fired I picked up from the club range.

Posts: 8169 | Location: humboldt | Registered: 10 April 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of Steve E.
posted Hide Post
The Fiocchi 7.62 x 39 brass I have is great and has survived several loadings, primer pockets are all centered just as in all other brass.

Steve.........

NRA Patron Life Member
GOA Life Member
North American Hunting Club Life Member
USAF Veteran

Posts: 1837 | Location: Semo | Registered: 31 May 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of Kenati
posted Hide Post
Thanks everyone for your responses. Im going to go for it and see what happens. I will report back with how it goes.