New
Find
Notify
Tools

making 257 weatherby from 264 winchester
 Login/Join

<30-378Weatherby>
posted
can anyone tell me if it is possible to reform 264 winchester brass into 257 weatherby brass. If this is possible can someone tell me the procedure or where i can find more information on this. Thanks in advance.

one of us
posted Hide Post
Simply one pass in the sizer and you end with a 257 WM case check lenght and neck thickness , also you can use 7 mm Rem cases .

Daniel

Posts: 332 | Location: Cantabria Spain | Registered: 23 May 2002Reply With Quote
<Big Stick>
posted
Done it lots.

Length is not an issue,for safety,as the Wby case is longer(2.5490" vs 2.5000"). Though I of course trim for uniformity.

It is a one pass operation,as mentioned prior........

one of us
posted Hide Post
The Weatherby round is slightly larger in diameter at the shoulder, so brass formed from the .264 will be very slightly small, but will be fine when fired. The radiused Weatherby shoulder can be difficult, as it does not lend itself to smooth brass flow when resizing as does a conventional shoulder. However, I would anticipate no big problems, and as Daniel says, just lube and run through your full length die and you should have a case which is at least fit for fireforming. With a .264, I wouldn't anticipate the need to thin the necks, but it won't hurt to check.

Posts: 13245 | Location: Henly, TX, USA | Registered: 04 April 2001Reply With Quote
<30-378Weatherby>
posted
Thanks for everyones replies I appreciate it.