New
Find
Notify
Tools

Ruger RSI SS 257 Roberts Range Trip
 Login/Join

One of Us
posted
Well I loaded up some rounds and went to Clybel WMA to try to work up a good load for the new Ruger RSI in 257 Roberts. I am posting the 4 "Best" groups from today and as you can see I didn't do very good with this first try. The best group was just over an inch at 100 yards.

Bullet=Barnes 100gr TSX
Powder=H414
Primer=CCI BR
Load Range=43.5gr-46gr in 1/2 grain increments
Best Group=1.318"

Bullet=Barnes 100gr TSX
Powder=RL 19
Primer=CCI BR
Load Range=46gr-48.5gr in 1/2 grain increments
Best Group=1.178"

I think I have a problem with heat and this mannlicher stock. As you can see from the 2 H414 targets the rifle seemed to love 45.5 and 46 grains on the first 2 shots and then the 3rd was a flyer. The barrel was warm after 1 shot,Hot after the 2nd and Sizzling after the 3rd. I have never seen a barrel get this hot this fast before...Could this be because of the full stock?

As for the RL 19 I think the rifle just didn't like the combination....I shot the RL after the H414 Series and let the barrel cool between each shot.

Can anyone reinforce my heat theory or have suggestions on where I go from here?

Thanks,

Bruz

Bruz

"Honor,Courage and Character"

NRA Lifetime Member

Posts: 342 | Location: Jawja | Registered: 20 December 2006Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Bruz, I have a Ruger Ultralight in 257R. The barrel does indeed get very hot. I suspect barrel configuration (thin).
Peter.

Be without fear in the face of your enemies. Be brave and upright, that God may love thee. Speak the truth always, even if it leads to your death. Safeguard the helpless and do no wrong;

Posts: 10515 | Location: Jacksonville, Florida | Registered: 09 January 2004Reply With Quote