Find
Notify
Tools

Reduced 223 loads with 2400
 Login/Join

one of us
Picture of redial
posted
These have been around for decades, but I've never tried it. Anyone have firsthand experience?

I'm trying to reduce noise levels in my gopher rifles for use around stock, people, pets, et al. It'd also save me from the siren's song of the 17 HMR [Razz]

Alliant lists loads from 12 - 14 gr with most 45 - 55 gr bullets for 1800 fps or so, which is just fine for me. The pound of 2400 under my bench oughta last about 600 or so rounds by my 'ciphering.

Anybody know? Thanks!

Redial

Posts: 1121 | Location: Florence, MT USA | Registered: 30 April 2002Reply With Quote
<BEJ>
posted
The data you site is almost exactly what I have used in my .223.

Sierra 50gr
14.0gr 2400
OAL=56.5mm
no filler

Sierra 55gr
12.0gr 2400
OAL=56.5mm
no filler

These were the two most accurate loads @100yds. Neither load showed any signs of excessive pressure. 2400 does not seem to be position sensitive, thus no tipping the barrel up.

one of us
posted Hide Post
What type of velocity are you getting with these reduced loads???BCB

Posts: 212 | Location: WESTERN PENNSYLVANIA | Registered: 11 March 2001Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by redial:
These have been around for decades, but I've never tried it. Anyone have firsthand experience?

I'm trying to reduce noise levels in my gopher rifles for use around stock, people, pets, et al. It'd also save me from the siren's song of the 17 HMR [Razz]

Alliant lists loads from 12 - 14 gr with most 45 - 55 gr bullets for 1800 fps or so, which is just fine for me. The pound of 2400 under my bench oughta last about 600 or so rounds by my 'ciphering.

I can't find my damn reloading log, but I think 14gr is about right. I seem to remember that I'm getting something like 2200fps out of my AR. I also seem to remember that a pound only does about 460 rounds. I don't know about substantial noise reduction, but the powder is versatile and produces accurate loads for me. It can make some smoking loads for the 357 and 44 mags and is also just the ticket for plinking with the 223 and 7.62 X 39. I especially like this powder for use in my AKs as it produces loads that do not launch my brass 15yds.

Give it a try.

Posts: 6545 | Location: Pennsylvania | Registered: 28 August 2001Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
quote:

I use 700x (trap shooting powder) for light loads in my rifles.

In .223, 8.0 grains of 700x behind a 55 grain bullet gives just over 2,100 fps.

In 30-06, 14 grains of 700x behind 125 grain bullet gives about 1,800 fps.

These are based on Lyman cast bullet loads.

Interesting, is that 1/4 the weight powder is giving (about) 1/4 the energy (that's 1/2 the velocity). The powder has about 1/2 the volume though.

I did read where a larger flash hole is recommended (like .094 in .223 or .110 in 30.06) to prevent the primer pressure from driveing the case forward. They seem to shoot fine with the larger primer flash hole.

PS. red dot and other fast pistol/shotgun powders have been said to work the same. I have only used 700x.

JerryO

Posts: 231 | Location: MN. USA | Registered: 09 June 2000Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of redial
posted Hide Post
Thank you, gentlemen!

Jerry mentioned something I remember from an old Ed Matunas article, that is enlarged flash holes. Does anyone do this? Do you experience primers backing out or headspace shrinking with "normal" flash holes?

Aquavit - 'ciphering ain't my strong suit (liberal arts major) [Big Grin] Not enough fingers ...

Been doing this for decades and it seems every day I learn something new on this board.

Redial

Posts: 1121 | Location: Florence, MT USA | Registered: 30 April 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
I have been experimenting with light 223 loads for a while I have settled on two different loads. 6.5 gr unique with a 40 gr BT is my "22 mag load" and 11.5 gr blue dot with either 40gr BT or bulk winchester 50 gr psp is my ".22 hornet". Both these loads are extremely accurate with the blue dot loads with either bullet being slightly more accurate than the unique. This weekend I plan to try some of the 35 gr v-maxs with blue dot and see how they do. I have also been thinking of trying lil'gun in these reduced loads, has any one tried it already? JerryW

Posts: 44 | Location: Maine | Registered: 07 November 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
quote:
...Alliant lists loads from 12 - 14 gr with most 45 - 55 gr bullets for 1800 fps or so, which is just fine for me...

Hey redial, I had no idea that Alliant had those Loads listed in their Manual. Good for them.

Interesting to me that when I worked up Loads for 45gr & 50gr bullets for my 223Rem with "2400" that they also fall into about the same general area. In my rifle, velocity is similar to the old 22Hornet but the accuracy is better and stable over many groups.

I'd encourage anyone using these "fast-for-caliber" loads to watch REAL CLOSE for Pressure signs. You can go from a SAFE load to an UNSAFE over pressure load with a small increase in these powders(aka Pressure Spike).

Measuring Case Head Expansion and Pressure Ring Expansion works real well to keep you in the SAFE Perssure area. And since MAX Speed is not a concern, one other trick I use a good bit is to work up these loads using "Pistol Primers" which will indicate Pressure quicker than when using regular Rifle Primers.

Posts: 9920 | Location: Carolinas, USA | Registered: 22 April 2001Reply With Quote