New
Find
Notify
Tools

Lee Powder Measure -- I Like It!
 Login/Join

one of us
posted
Some years ago I used a RCBS powder measure -- I think it was a Uniflo -- for a short time. I didn't like it because you could feel it shearing powder granules with the powder I was using at the time, IMR 4064.

Since then I've always weighed powder charges individually, especially as I usually load 20 or fewer rifle cases at a time. (I don't load for handguns.)

But then maybe two or three years ago I bought a Lee powder measure. But I didn't use it much, continuing to do most of my loading by weighing each charge individually. I did use the Lee measure to load some .223 rounds, using Winchester 748 powder.

But recently I've finally gotten tired of weighing each charge, and I've started using the Lee measure a lot. And I like it! I've found that I can measure charges of IMR 4064, IMR 7828, RL22, and other stick-type powders, and get them consistent within a tenth of a grain.

So why don't more people use the Lee measure? Is it because it is cheap, and indeed looks cheap?

Posts: 5883 | Location: People's Republic of Maryland | Registered: 11 March 2001Reply With Quote
<Martindog>
posted
Some just refuse to acknowledge that Lee makes some good stuff. It just doesn't sit well with them to admit it.

Congrats on your results. I'm good to about +/- .2g with those powders, but that's still as good as any other measure out there. With ball, it's like, "Why bother even weighing". It's that good.

Martindog

one of us
Picture of NBHunter
posted Hide Post
I love mine. I have not had any problems with IMR 700-x, IMR4064 and 4350, H4350, Rel15 or 22 or H110. Beats the crap out of weighing out charges when youre loading 100 rounds to plink with,eh? [Smile]

Posts: 741 | Location: NB Canada | Registered: 20 August 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of Dino32HR
posted Hide Post
I use the Lee Perfect Powder Measure for load development and the Lee Auto-Pro for actual production with AA #2, #5 & #7; Hodgdon Titegroup, 4227 & 4895 & WW 231 & 296. I make custom inserts for the holes in the Auto disks to provide me the exact drop weight I want. Works like a charm.

They work GREAT with all these powders. If I keep my stroke and method consistant, I can usually count on +/- .1 grain. Even if I get sloppy, +/- .2 is usually the biggest variance I get.

Sometimes cheap is better ! [Big Grin]

Posts: 243 | Location: Northeast OH | Registered: 03 January 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of jpb
posted Hide Post
I am hoping that none of my shooting snob friends see this....

I too will admit that I use the Lee Perfect Powder measure and that it works just fine! It performs better on coarse-grained powder than many (much more expensive!) measures do.

jpb

Posts: 1006 | Location: northern Sweden | Registered: 22 May 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
My RCBS Uniflow is a pain on IMR4895, but accurate to .1gr with a consistant amount in the hopper.

The Uniflow is +/- 10% on Red Dot and 800X.
How does the Perfect Powder Measure work on those?

Posts: 2249 | Registered: 27 February 2001Reply With Quote
<338Lapua>
posted
I bought one of the Anniversery kits about ten years ago. The only items I still use are the powder measure and the auto prime. The press broke (after about 10,000 rounds), I never trusted the scale, the chamfer/deburr tool ain't worth a damn. Anyway, I also like my measure.

Jim

one of us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Clark:
The Uniflow is +/- 10% on Red Dot and 800X.
How does the Perfect Powder Measure work on those?

Sorry, but I can't help you on that question. I've never used it with those powders. I don't load for handguns, and when I load for shotgun I use the powder bushings in my MEC loader.

Posts: 5883 | Location: People's Republic of Maryland | Registered: 11 March 2001Reply With Quote
<Embalmer>
posted
It sounds like the Lee is a good measure to use for the stick powders like the IMR 4064. Is that a correct assumption? The reason I ask is that the IMR 4064 is unfortunately going to be my primary powder I think. And I keep hearing people complain about the problems with the measuring of it. I would like to find a measure that works well with it, even if I have to buy one specific measure just for that powder!

So whats the verdict? Does the Lee do a great or just a good job on the IMR 4064?

one of us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Embalmer:
So whats the verdict? Does the Lee do a great or just a good job on the IMR 4064?

In my opinion, it does a great job with IMR 4064.

Follow the directions for setting it up -- you need to put some powder through it to "cure" it or get the internal parts properly powder-coated so that it will work properly -- and use a scale to get it set to throw the charge weight you want.

The thing is cheap enough -- Midway has them now for under $20 -- that you can try it for very little.

[ 04-04-2003, 08:33: Message edited by: LE270 ]

one of us
Picture of NEJack
posted Hide Post
I have the Lee powder measure and have been considering getting a different one. Sounds like I might just keep it after all...

Posts: 727 | Location: Eastern Iowa (NUTS!) | Registered: 29 March 2003Reply With Quote
posted Hide Post
I started reloading with a used kit I found at a garage sale. The Perfect powder measure didn't impress me at first. But after loading several thousand rounds with it, both pistol and rifle, I have a new appreciation for it and for most other things Lee sells.
As mentioned above, you have to use it awhile before it gets the bugs out. Now that I've gotten through that period, I only check every 10th round or so. I use the Accurate version of 4064 (it's a bit finer grained than the IMR, otherwise identical) for rifles and Unique for pistols. The small charges needed for the pistols rarely vary by even .1 grain and the rifle charges are always within .2 grains.
I found a secon measure at a gunshow and now I have one for rifles and one for pistols. I don't have to make the massive adjustments needed to go from 50 gr. charges of 4064 to the 5 or 6 grains of Unique. Laziness pays off!!

Posts: 24 | Location: Portland, OR | Registered: 31 December 2002Reply With Quote
<Ranger Dave>
posted
When I reload I want every powder load to be equal in weight. The Lee powder measurer is close but I set it on the low side and dump it in my scale pan. I trickle the powder up to the exact weight I want for each round.

one of us
posted Hide Post
Like some of you, I often reach right past my lovely old Belding & Mull powder measure and use the tin and plastic Lee. Works very well, though it feels like I'm going to break it every time I use it. It does seem that fine powder like H110 is more difficult to get out of the thing after using it.

Posts: 92 | Location: Western PA | Registered: 06 July 2002Reply With Quote