THE ACCURATERELOADING.COM FORUMS

Accuratereloading.com    The Accurate Reloading Forums    THE ACCURATE RELOADING.COM FORUMS  Hop To Forum Categories  Guns, Politics, Gunsmithing & Reloading  Hop To Forums  Reloading    Re: What Powders do you like w/ 180s out of your 30-06

Moderators: Mark
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Re: What Powders do you like w/ 180s out of your 30-06
 Login/Join

one of us
posted
I like Viht N160. You may notice a pattern here. So many powder recommendations will tell you that the 3006 will probably shoot with just about anything suitable.

Posts: 1147 | Location: Ohio USA | Registered: 21 April 2001Reply With Quote
<allen day>
posted
My favorite 180 gr. .30-06 load has always been built around IMR 4831 in Winchester cases with Federal 215 Match primers for about 2750 fps. out of a 22" barrel. Very consistent chronograph readings, reasonable pressures, and superb accuracy. I've had especially good luck with 180 gr. Hornady Inter-Loct and 180 gr. Nosler Partitions in the '06.

AD

one of us
posted Hide Post
4350 from IMR or Hogdon
4831 from IMR or Hogdon
Alliant RL 19 or RL 22

These are just four powders that I'm sure most(if not all) would agree that SHOULD give satisfactory results in accuracy and velocity with your loads. I'd personally pick one of the powders already in you inventory, pick a starting load, and keep on trucking until you get the accuracy/velocity you seek. I doubt that you'll have much trouble. That's one of the "boring" things about the 30-06, they're rarely picky about what they digest. Good luck

Posts: 69 | Location: Havelock, NC USA | Registered: 17 September 2004Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Steve
posted Hide Post
I have to concur with Allen. The only place I differ is that I use Swift A-Frames. But that's it.

-Steve

--------

www.zonedar.com

If you can't be a good example, be a horrible warning
DRSS C&H 475 NE
--------

Posts: 2781 | Location: Hillsboro, Or-Y-Gun (Oregon), U.S.A. | Registered: 22 June 2000Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of moki
posted Hide Post
My powder of choice for the 30-06 has been IMR4350 since about 1982 when I first stated reloading this cartridge. I have tried just about every powder in my 30-06 loads but keep coming back to IMR4350....

Posts: 451 | Location: B.C. Canada | Registered: 20 November 2003Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
56 gr IMR 4350 - 180 gr Nosler partition or Hornady SP .. accurate and consistant Big Grin mpb

Mark P

Posts: 45 | Location: NorthCentral PA - USA | Registered: 23 April 2004Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
IMR or H 4350
H-4831

Posts: 284 | Location: Orange, CA | Registered: 05 January 2005Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of buckeyeshooter
posted Hide Post
I like H4831 and have been playing with Varget.

Posts: 5717 | Location: Ohio | Registered: 02 April 2003Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
RL 22 with with Nosler 180 AB

Posts: 449 | Location: GA, USA | Registered: 13 March 2001Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Right now, it is XMR 4064.

Remember, forgivness is easier to get than permission.

Posts: 3994 | Location: Hudsonville MI USA | Registered: 08 June 2000Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of woods
posted Hide Post
Hands down I would have to go with IMR 4350, 2nd choice of IMR 4831. My load (most accurate and most performance) is 58.5 grains IMR 4350 behind 180 grain Barnes Triple Shock bullets for a MV of 2850 FPS. The high BC of .552 makes the 30-06 shoot like a 300 Win. The TSX bullets shoot better than Sierra Match Kings for accuracy and have 100% weight retention.

Can't beat it.

Chinese Proverb: When someone shares something of value with you and you benefit from it, you have a moral obligation to share it with others.

Posts: 2750 | Location: Houston, Tx | Registered: 17 January 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
IMR4350 is good, but meters poorly and loses significant velocity in cold weather. Reloader 19 is better on both counts. I've just started to play with Ramshot Hunter, and it may turn out to be my favorite. It's a ball powder, so it meters beautifully, yet it is happy with standard primers, and Ramshot claims it is not temperature sensitive (I haven't verified that).

Posts: 1095 | Location: Idaho | Registered: 04 January 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
I use IMR 4350 with 180gr and H414 with 150gr.I use WLR with all the loads.

I miss hunting in B.C.

Posts: 84 | Location: Nova Scotia, Canada | Registered: 28 October 2004Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of Reloader
posted Hide Post
I'm fixin' to load up several 180grn NBT loads w/ IMR4350, R22, R19, and H4831 @ close to max charges. I'll be using Win brass and WLR primers. I'll see what shoots the tighest groups.

Good Luck!

Reloader

Posts: 4146 | Location: North Louisiana | Registered: 18 February 2004Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
4350 powder, don't care what flavor. WINCHESTER primers, Laupa brass. And what ever bullets you want to jam down her throat in 180 grains. (depends on what I going to shoot, Bear, Moose, deer, elk, caribou or paper.

Posts: 116 | Location: Alaska,U.S.A. | Registered: 09 January 2005Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Reloader 19 works well for me.

Posts: 8211 | Location: Germany | Registered: 22 August 2002Reply With Quote