Find
Notify
Tools

380 brass?
 Login/Join

one of us
Picture of Steve E.
posted
I recently bought a new Remington RM380 and ordered the components for reloading. While waiting for the handgun and reloading components to arrive I dug out some range pickup brass from a couple of years ago. Most of the brass (fired) had an extractor groove from .325 to .328 with the exception of PMC brass which measured a quite larger but consistent .335. Is this normal for PMC .380 brass?

Steve..........

NRA Patron Life Member
GOA Life Member
North American Hunting Club Life Member
USAF Veteran

Posts: 1839 | Location: Semo | Registered: 31 May 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of ted thorn
posted Hide Post
I'm not sure.....but I must admit, I've yet to feel inclined to measure

Posts: 7361 | Location: South East Missouri | Registered: 23 November 2005Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
I have loaded for the 380 for 30plus years and never bothered to measure the casings

Posts: 19612 | Location: wis | Registered: 21 April 2001Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of Steve E.
posted Hide Post
I measured them because they wouldn't fit in the shellholder.

Steve..........

NRA Patron Life Member
GOA Life Member
USAF Veteran

One of Us
Picture of Rapidrob
posted Hide Post
You say it does not fit the SH. Are you measuring the groove or the rimless diameter of the base of the case. The groove should not matter when it fits the SH. If you cannot push the case into the female lips of the SH,the rimless base is too large.

Gulf of Tonkin Yacht Club
NRA Endowment Member
President NM MILSURPS

Posts: 448 | Location: Albuquerque | Registered: 28 March 2013Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of Steve E.
posted Hide Post
Rimless base is not too large. As stated above the extractor groove is too large (maybe easier to understand if I say too wide) to slide into the shell holder. The base of the case is not too wide, the rim is not too wide either. I don't think whoever had the brass overloaded it (if it wasn't factory ammo) as if it was overloaded enough to swell the extractor groove it should have also swelled the case itself and may have loosened the primer pocket but they aren't loose.

Steve.......

NRA Patron Life Member
GOA Life Member
USAF Veteran

one of us
posted Hide Post
I have had that problem a couple of times over the years with shell holders, but only with rifles...I think the companies get a little sloppy with specs from time to time..I would take a couple of pieces of brass to the local reloading center and check out the shell holders and find one that works..Also check and see it those emptys will fit in the guns bolt face and chamber and eject, if not the toss them.

I have a new S&W, M&P, Bodyguard .380ACP, and no problems reloading or feeding but I have never measured the groove..but not sure its critical to feeding in an auto, so just may need another shell holder..????

Ray Atkinson
Atkinson Hunting Adventures
10 Ward Lane,
Filer, Idaho, 83328
208-731-4120

rayatkinsonhunting@gmail.com

Posts: 42176 | Location: Twin Falls, Idaho | Registered: 04 June 2000Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of Steve E.
posted Hide Post
Reloading stuff still is not here (Graf is running a little behind) so I picked up a 50 round box of Estate 380 acp ammo to try the pistol out.
Pistol seems to be well made and fit good. So far out of a box of 50 function has been 100%. Trigger takes a little getting used to. Long take up with some stacking about the last 3/8 th of an inch. Trigger must be wearing in some because at the end of 50 rounds it seemed to be better, according to everybody that tried it. Don't expect to get much accuracy at distance as the sights are minimal but we'll see after the supplies get here.

Steve.......

NRA Patron Life Member
GOA Life Member
USAF Veteran

one of us
Picture of Steve E.
posted Hide Post
Hopefully I won't have to worry about as the brass coming is not PMC, I just didn't know if this was a problem with most PMC 380 brass. This my first experience with 380 PMC brass or any 380 brass for that matter but most other PMC brass I've had has been ok. The recycle bin is now the new home of the bad 380 PMC brass. After a few hundred rounds to prove itself my Wife will replace her CW9 with it (not my Choice) but she needs a more concealable handgun and the RM380 seems to be it so far. I'll stick with my CW45. Not sure if Rem will ever bring out a 9mm in this but the 9mm will fit in the mag without the mag block in the back.

Steve.......

NRA Patron Life Member
GOA Life Member
USAF Veteran

one of us
posted Hide Post
I purchased my S&W M&P bodyguard strictly on its concealability, and I love it..I have shot it about 200 times with no failures, its about 1/4 inch thick and smaller than my hand..Its accurate at 15 yards and that's the furtherest that I have shot it..The .380 is intended for point blank defense in my opinion, but it sure doesn't hurt to practice with one at 25 other than it might effect one moral! tu2 Its double action is bearable and that's about it, it has a safety which is ridiculas except for storage in a double action auto, and I see it as problematic in a defense gun..Double action autos stack, one has to live with that, end of story. I wouldn't be concerned about that brass it can't be serious and may even give the extractor a better grip, but I have not seen it so can't be sure..send me 10 of them and I'll find out!!

Ray Atkinson
Atkinson Hunting Adventures
10 Ward Lane,
Filer, Idaho, 83328
208-731-4120

rayatkinsonhunting@gmail.com

Posts: 42176 | Location: Twin Falls, Idaho | Registered: 04 June 2000Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of Steve E.
posted Hide Post
Ray
We don't plan on shooting at much more than 15 yards or so at the most maybe at 25 or 50 yds for S&G's. I know what you are talking about when you talk about double action auto triggers I've been putting up with them for about the last 35 or 40 years or so, I'm sure you have for some time longer than that. I wasn't too concerned about the brass, I was just wondering if anyone else had run across the same thing with PMC brass. I would have sent them to you but they are in the recycle bin now. I ordered some Armscor 380 brass (marked A USA) which seems to be fairly well made, already have a couple of reloadings on it. Now I've gotta get out and mow my grass so I can find my brass easier.

Steve..........

NRA Patron Life Member
GOA Life Member
USAF Veteran