THE ACCURATERELOADING.COM FORUMS

Moderators: Mark
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Does straight-wall brass EVER wear out??
 Login/Join

one of us
Picture of RSY
posted
My entire reloading life has centered on bottleneck rifle cartridges. Until recently, that is.

I lucked into a .375 Win. a while back and I've learned a few things since. One issue that's still puzzling me, though, is brass life. From what I can tell, these things will basically last "forever." I'm still on my original 20 cases.

When do I start getting worried??? Do I check for head separation the same as I always have for my bottlenecks???

Thanks for any insight.

RSY

Posts: 785 | Location: Central Texas | Registered: 01 October 2001Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of ricciardelli
posted Hide Post
If you crimp, look for small cracks at the mouth of the case.

If you see small cracks, check case length, trim if necessary, and then look for the cracks again. If they are still there, toss them.

Posts: 3282 | Location: Saint Marie, Montana | Registered: 22 May 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
I second Steve's comment and add that I have sometimes discarded brass that has work hardened and will not crimp properly with a taper crimp on lead bullets. With reasonable loads straight wall cases last a very long time.

Posts: 9647 | Location: Yankeetown, FL | Registered: 31 August 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
I don't know how many rounds you'll get I have some 357 38's that have gone over 15 reloads they mostly work harden then crack at he neck. But They are well paid for by then.

Posts: 19583 | Location: wis | Registered: 21 April 2001Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
If you have concerns, just re-aneal them. There is a paste that you can get from Brownells called tempilaq that really makes it easy to do. I have some 338-378 cases that are going on 14 loadings and are still going strong. Another thing to keep in mind is case cleaning method. I went away from tumblers both rotary and vibratory and switched to liquid Iosso. My brass cullings have reduced dramitically.

Joe

Posts: 263 | Location: Where ever Bush sends me | Registered: 13 July 2003Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
It has more to do with the low velocity caliber than the fact that the cases are straiht walled IMO...You load them too hot and they will seperate at the web...Double rifles are bad about this...Pay particular attention to the web area and look for the shiney ring thats a dead give away, and remember that flowing brass can only go forward..With very mild pressure brass should last quite a while...

Posts: 42158 | Location: Twin Falls, Idaho | Registered: 04 June 2000Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Generally speaking, with reasonable loads one gets their moneys worth from straight-walled brass. I have some old Star Line brass in 357 that has been reloaded so much the head stamp is blury.

Posts: 594 | Location: MT. | Registered: 05 June 2003Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
RSY,

Yep, I have some 357 and 44 Magnum cases that have been reloaded at the 20 times mark. I use just enough crimp to remove the bell on the case mouth and still allow the round to chamber. BUT, I have had case head seperation with my 445 Super Magnum, a rechamber of a 44 Magnum, in the Contender after only 1/2 dozen reloads. May just be a headspace problem--don't know for sure. They are loaded fairly "hot" though, but well withing data limits. Good-luck...BCB

Posts: 212 | Location: WESTERN PENNSYLVANIA | Registered: 11 March 2001Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
I recall seeing an article in G&A a long time ago where they loaded .38 Special cases until they failed. IIRC, it took about 1100 or so loadings to cause failures using light target loads.

I have .458 cases going on 10 max lodings with no problems at all. Never could get my .243s to last that long, so there may be something to the straight-case life extention.

Posts: 345 | Location: Pittsburgh, PA, USA | Registered: 01 February 2001Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of Bob G
posted Hide Post
If you are loading cast bullets just be sure to not over expand the case mouth so as to not over work the brass. I have many 45/70 brass reloaded over 25 times with no problem. Just be sure to segregate your brass by times loaded so you can tell easily how many times they are loaded. Be sure to do as Ray A.mentioned and keep an eye out for possible case head separations as well as cracks at the case mouth.

Posts: 239 | Location: North Smithfield, RI USA | Registered: 09 March 2002Reply With Quote