Find
Notify
Tools

less expensive micrometer calipers
 Login/Join

one of us
posted
Hello,
I would like you to share your opinions of the one inch digital micrometers that are advertized in the most common 'Shooter/Reloader'catalogues.
Is the electronic type worth the difference in price over the mechanical type?
I would like your opinions of the Midway/Frankford,the Lyman and the RCBS.
I know that the 100 dollar and 200 dollar models are better,but I don't use one enough to justify the expenditure.
I have an old vernier,I want a digital.
Frank

Posts: 202 | Location: Newburgh,New York Orange | Registered: 21 March 2001Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of Bob338
posted Hide Post
The ones you mention are all probably from the same source in China. Buy those on price.

You can usually find good digitals in pawn shops at bargain prices. I picked up a Mitutuyo for $35 and I've seen some Starett's and Brown & Sharpe's for under $50. Try the pawn shop route.

Posts: 1261 | Location: Placerville, CA, US of A | Registered: 07 January 2001Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Thanks, Bob
Frank

Posts: 202 | Location: Newburgh,New York Orange | Registered: 21 March 2001Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of Scout Master 54
posted Hide Post
I got my Bwown & Sharpe at a garage sale for $15. Not your typical garage sale item, but it will amaze you on what you can find.

Scout Master 54

Posts: 332 | Location: Western CT | Registered: 10 June 2003Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Frank,

At first I was somewhat puzzled as to weather you were looking for micrometers or calipers. If you are looking for 0-1 micrometers try your local industrial supply house. They often times have specials. A really good source, if you don't mind ordering through the mail is Penn Tool Company, located in NJ. They always have excellent prices. If you are looking for dial verniers, Penn Tool Company also has them at very resonable prices. Personally I prefer a mechanical micrometer over a digital since there isn't anything that can go wrong with a mechanical pair of mic's. I have mic's that go from 0 to 1/2" all the way through 12" and all are mechanical type. Then again, being a Tool & Die Maker by trade I have lots of measuring tools.

Hope this helps,

Don [Smile]

Posts: 263 | Location: Pennsylvania | Registered: 13 March 2003Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of BW
posted Hide Post
Don,

I agree with you. As an aircraft mechanic I prefer the 'dial indicating' version over the digital version. That applies to just about all precision measuring tools.

Nothing worse than trying to get a simple measurement, but having to reset zero on a digital tool which only has two buttons, but 20+ 'functions' (which I don't need), then watching the thing go blank because the battery died.

And I'm not even an old geezer! [Smile]

Posts: 778 | Location: Alaska | Registered: 23 May 2002Reply With Quote