Find
Notify
Tools

Brands of Primers
 Login/Join

One of Us
Picture of brytstar
posted
If for some reason you could only load one brand of primers, which would you choose?

In politics as in theology! "The heart of the wise inclines to the right, But the heart of the fool to the left." Ecclesiastes 10:2

Posts: 200 | Location: Western Maryland | Registered: 30 April 2005Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
CCI for everything I reload for.

one of us
posted Hide Post
Another CCI fan

Posts: 168 | Location: No. Minnesota | Registered: 10 January 2004Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of ricciardelli
posted Hide Post
It wasn't that many years ago that primers became extremely scarce. I used Federal because that is all I could get.

Do I have a favorite primer? Not really, I like the one that works best when I am working-up a load.

What primer do I generally start with? Remington.

Posts: 3282 | Location: Saint Marie, Montana | Registered: 22 May 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Federal, they burn much cleaner than CCI's!

Posts: 1547 | Location: Lafayette, Louisiana | Registered: 18 June 2005Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Yeah I remember that primer crunch also. I was forced to use some Winchester large and small rifle primers.

Accuracy went out the door for my .308 and .222. I hope I am never again reduced to using them.

One of Us
Picture of Ralph Hyrlik
posted Hide Post
Why is it that some people care more about primer residue than accuracy? Or powder residue over accuracy?

One of Us
posted Hide Post
I have only tried Winchester. Would I notice a big difference with another brand?

Posts: 527 | Location: Tennessee U.S.A. | Registered: 14 April 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of the_captain
posted Hide Post
Only CCI for me.

==============================
"I'd love to be the one to disappoint you when I don't fall down" --Fred Durst

Posts: 759 | Location: St Cloud, MN | Registered: 17 January 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
CCI is the brand for me, but I also like Federal, it's just that when I developed some of my loads Federal was a little on the hot side and I use Lee handprime and it is not recommended to use Federal primers.

"We are what we repeatedly do. Excellence, then is not an act, but a habit"--Aristotle (384BC-322BC)

Posts: 749 | Location: Central Montana | Registered: 17 October 2005Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
THis subject occasionally also comes up over on www.benchrest.com, and it appears a lot of (but not all) BR shooters use Federal. I have a feeling it is a bit like barrels, if one brand was definitely better than the others, all BR shooters would use that brand...

That said, there are differences in primers. Case in point, the Federal 215 Magnum primer is commonly considered the hottest of the magnum rifle primers, and is often the primer of choice to light large powder quantities or to be used in the coldest of temperatures.

You occasionally run into a case/primer combination, where the primers are a tad small for the pockets. A change of primers might help.

Also, occasonally one sees references to a particular brand of primers either having too hard or too soft a cup. Again, sometimes a change of primer brand is an easy thing to try.

One interesting question with respect to primers: are socalled "match" primers any better than regular primers of the same brand?? I have heard the match primers are exactly the same as the regulars, except they are inspected for missing anvils/compound. True or not?? But I'd sure like to know. Over here, match primers are considerably more expensive than regular primers (almost 100% extra Eeker).

- mike

The rifle is a noble weapon... It entices its bearer into primeval forests, into mountains and deserts untenanted by man. - Horace Kephart

Posts: 6653 | Location: Switzerland | Registered: 11 March 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Snellstrom
posted Hide Post
I've used CCI continuously since 1975. They have worked fine for me and I've never even thought about changing to anything else.Same old adage if it ain't broke don't fix it!

Posts: 5604 | Location: Eastern plains of Colorado | Registered: 31 October 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Fed 215's for my big mags , CCI for pistols and WW std for my service rifles. I stick with the primer used in the development data I'm working with.

Posts: 395 | Location: West Coast | Registered: 09 April 2005Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of RaySendero
posted Hide Post
CCI 200 LR for all CF.

________
Ray

Posts: 1786 | Registered: 10 November 2004Reply With Quote
posted Hide Post
Personally, if I was forced to pick only 1 brand of primers, it would be Federals. There has been some talk of them being the easiest to ignote more so than any other brand. Whether it is true or not, I have no ignition problems with the lighter trigger pulls of S&W revolvers over many problems with Winchester and Remington. I'll occasionally use CCI's in my single stage press, but my 650 HATES CCI primers and will not feed them at all. For me it would be any of the Federals.

Vince

Posts: 4 | Location: San Francisco Bay Area | Registered: 30 January 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
I have found that Federal match primers, rifle and magnum rifle, to be very good. I have found that WW primers to be right behind them. I seldom use CCI primers or Rem primers. Kudude

Posts: 1473 | Location: Tallahassee, Florida | Registered: 04 January 2005Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by mho:
I have heard the match primers are exactly the same as the regulars,
- mike

The story I read, I think directly from a primer maker? was that Match and regular are indeed the same, Except that the priming mixtures are added en mass in batches by workers.
As this requires a fair bit of skill to get perfect, they use the best most experenced person/s for the match primers, and charge accordingly.
JL.

Posts: 2355 | Location: Australia | Registered: 14 November 2004Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
For close to 50 years, Remington primers have dominated all NRA National Match rifle competition. Why? Because they are good and consistent.

Barstooler

Posts: 876 | Location: Colorado Springs | Registered: 01 February 2004Reply With Quote